Yet another Protege review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bandit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
In your bushes, watching you undress
Received my Protege on Saturday, and have been vaping it pretty much all day, every day for the past 3 and a half days.

Simple comment: Damn near perfect PV.

I wanted the Protege because I needed a SMALL, more convenient & portable PV to go out and about with. Since getting my Prodigy & Silver Bullet I don't like using regular e-cigs, but there are times when carrying a huge PV simply isn't practical.

I once owned a JantyStick and it was a raging POS that was so inconsistent, it was nearly useless... so that wasn't going to be my answer. I received the VAPRE51 (VP1 clone) a week earlier
hoping it would fill that need, but with the silly 801 atty it was way too long, and sorry 801 fans... but 801s suck and look way too feminine. Plus it totally defeats the purpose of a small built PV in my opinion. While some aren't buying these smaller PV's JUST because they are small, some of us are.. and when the atty itself is as big as the PV is, it DOUBLES the size, thus negating the benefits of having a small PV.

So when my Protege arrived I was floored. TINY, and easy to carry, plus I was able to get it in a 510 so not only would it stay small, but would be more of a powerhouse than with an 801.

Construction:
Nothing short of perfect. ALL Stainless Steel, so it has a solid feel to it. Nice heft, but not heavy. No visual imperfections and the color tone of brushed steel is handsome. The switch is simply a miniature of the Prodigy switch, but in steel. 2 small gripes... the switch housing has two sharp edges (nothing a Dremel can't take care of) and the button is so small. But not really an issue on either part. The new slotted batt cap is less "slick" and easier to grasp than the one on the Prodigy. I personally added NOALOX to the threads to keep a smoother action for screwing/unscrewing since the threads are so fine.

Performance:
It's a 3.7v device, it won't be earth-shattering like a 5v or 6v, but IMO the Protege outperforms every other 3.7-specific device I have used. More vapor, MORE FLAVOR, and far greater consistency than the JS or VAPRE51. Much of that is due to the 510 atomizer however. Battery life is good. I get about 5-6 hours of heavy (like never leaving my hand) vaping, and almost 9 hours of regular heavy vaping. If I weren't going through 3-4ml of juice per day, it would likely last 15+ hours per battery change.

I get a LOT of vapor from this thing, and the vapor isn't as annoyingly cool as I have experienced with 801 3.7v PVs. It is slightly warm and tasty. It performs about equal to my Silver Bullet when I'm running the SB at 3.7v.

Value:
You get a LOT for your money. For under $100 you get the sweet-... Protege, 2 batteries, charger and well... everything you need to get going. Same price as a JS but better built and better performing. $5 less than a Little Chuck and better built and not as ridiculously large.

Would I change anything about it? Honestly it is pretty much perfect out of the box, but I am one of those who wish more PVs had an LED indication of when the atty is activated/deactivated as well as a special LED indication of battery life. Since most others don't have this, this is not a knock on the Protege, just a wish from me that I'd like to see on a future model.

I have now put most of my e-cigs and my VAPRE51 on the sales section because of how great the Protege is. :shock: My search is over.

Last edited:

NekoGurrl

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2009
Muskego, WI
I also agree with Bandit, the Protege with the 510 is vaping nirvana for me.

The Protege itself is just the perfect size for every day carrying around, not to large, not to small. Has a nice weight to it, and is simply a beautiful piece of workmanship, except the switch which seems unfinished you can see the machining marks on it, and yes it does have some sharp points on it. That is a very minor cosmetic issue however and in no way detracts from the functionality of the device.

I would in fact recommend this device to anyone from the first time purchaser, to seasoned vapor.

I plan to keep one of my prodigies for high voltage when I need it, but will probably get a resistor less switch for it and go with an 18650 battery. That was how I wanted to order my 510 Prodigy, but Casey is way to fast for me, by the time she got my email, the Prodigy was already packed.

I was a little unsure when I first ordered, since I already have a lot of devices. But knowing Puresmokers quality, and how well I've had the 510 work on one of my mods (18650), I took the plunge. And after getting the mail yesterday, I haven't been able to put it down.

runtpacket

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2009
It sounds like mine will ship tomorrow. Can't wait been without a vaping device almost a week now. Camel Snus saving my poor heart from smoking.

I was going to buy that vapre 51 from bandit however someone beat me too it. So I ordered this instead. I was tempted to cancel the order since it's not a 5v uint, but after reading this review I'll give it a whirl and see.

Kimmberlee

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2008
MI
Hi Bandit,

I REALLY appreciate the time you took to write all that info. I use the Prodigy and LOVE it. I too want to have a device that isn't as cumbersome to go out and about with. I ordered the Protege and cannot wait to get it!!

It was a relief to read what you wrote and I respect your opinion. I am even MORE excited now to get mine. I am a big fan of PS and that is where I got my first 901 e-cig from...

I love this forum and it has helped me in soooo many ways!! Keep us posted!
:lol:

Bandit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
In your bushes, watching you undress
It sounds like mine will ship tomorrow. Can't wait been without a vaping device almost a week now. Camel Snus saving my poor heart from smoking.

I was going to buy that vapre 51 from bandit however someone beat me too it. So I ordered this instead. I was tempted to cancel the order since it's not a 5v uint, but after reading this review I'll give it a whirl and see.

And my preference of the Protege over the VAPRE51 prompted the sale... so you ended up with the better option I assure you ;)

Hi Bandit,

I REALLY appreciate the time you took to write all that info. I use the Prodigy and LOVE it. I too want to have a device that isn't as cumbersome to go out and about with. I ordered the Protege and cannot wait to get it!!

It was a relief to read what you wrote and I respect your opinion. I am even MORE excited now to get mine. I am a big fan of PS and that is where I got my first 901 e-cig from...

I love this forum and it has helped me in soooo many ways!! Keep us posted!
:lol:

Why thank you! I have found myself reaching for the Protege.... even when in the mood for higher voltage, and am still satisfied when I vape it. So I think you will be overjoyed when it arrives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread