Yihi SX Mini 350 vs rDNA 40 VS (Pros & Cons?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dravell

Jul 29, 2014
United States
The rDNA and SX Mini are about the same size, the rdna is *slightly* smaller, only a couple mm shorter.
The Mini has 60w (or 120 if you dont mind a ugly extension tube, guess for the house it wouldnt be bad)
The 3 power curves on the Mini I actually use, a LOT. Can change entire flavor profiles if juices.
The Mini feels like a $250 mod, just a fact.
The 510 on the Mini is worlds better, I mean you cant even compare the two there.
The Mini has the best firing switch ive ever used.
The Mini has a year warranty, people can argue that all they want, its being managed by the retailers now, might have to ship to china months down the road, even so, VS only has 3 mo.

rDNA has TC.
rDNA has wireless charging.
If your paint peels off off, VS says tough.

Just my opinion though.

peterforpats

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2013
rounding third and heading home...
first off, can't a person actually like both? does it have to be one or the other? just a thought....
for me, i prefer the sx mini with its sx mini board. i don't dislike the evolv just prefer the yihi. the fact that it is upgradeable is a big plus in my book. a simple firmware upgrade can make the difference between a glitchy board and one that works perfectly. the different modes on the yihi board(soft, standard, and powerful) make my vaping more enjoyable and i like the interactive part.no more just setting the power and pushing the button. now i can see how different juices react to different settings and it gives me more control. it is accurate and consistent and has more than enough power for my vaping needs. the fit and finish is the best i have seen in vaping and the one year warranty from a company that has always quickly responded to my every question and suggestion is unmatched. so i prefer the sx mini, but i am not attacking evolv for making my choice. even in vaping it doesn't have to be one or the other. in this case it is the sx mini but in the future it may very well be something else.

Nikkita6

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
New York
Is the sxmini lighter than the rDNA40? The sxmini says it's 152grams/5.2oz idk if that's battery in or out. The rDNA40 is 6.8oz, idk if that's batt in or out haha

That is the weight of the Mini without battery, VS rDNA40 is the weight with battery, as that is how its shipped. I liked the DNA40 chip just fine, I was utterly disappointed with the box that housed it. A magnetic back door is nice though .. For me, I felt like that VS was not worth the money, the cast zinc aluminum box looks like plastic, and I felt like the chip was the only good thing about it.

I find that the SXmini does a much better job at living up to its asking price. The VS had me scratching my head trying to figure out how or why it is a 189usd device (true story). But if its a look that suits you, then sure why not? Simplicity has its place :)

Chesh97

Dec 14, 2014
Indiana
That is the weight of the Mini without battery, VS rDNA40 is the weight with battery, as that is how its shipped. I liked the DNA40 chip just fine, I was utterly disappointed with the box that housed it. A magnetic back door is nice though .. For me, I felt like that VS was not worth the money, the cast zinc aluminum box looks like plastic, and I felt like the chip was the only good thing about it.

I find that the SXmini does a much better job at living up to its asking price. The VS had me scratching my head trying to figure out how or why it is a 189usd device (true story). But if its a look that suits you, then sure why not? Simplicity has its place :)

This makes me feel good, because these were the 2 I was interested in. After reading everyones comments, I ordered the SX mini. Can't wait to start building and using my Lemo and Mutation X v2

:vapor:

JulesXsmokr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2013
Hurricane Alley, FL. USA
I would love a TC dna40 chip, but the more reasonably priced ones are all out of stock it seems.
I definitely think a nice mid ohm build on a kayfun or similar RTA and finding the tanks temperature sweet spot would find you nirvanna! You would always have the best wattage hitting the coil, and not cooking your juices..
On the other hand the sx350 with a mech mode and higher wattages are the best deals for dripping, which I do around the home and even in my vehicle.:unsure:
Finding your preferred wattage for a build can be done, but if you vape it dry once or twice you're toast with the taste.
I just bought theSX mini and will await a more mature dna40 device. I watched some interviews with the Evolve guys and they are working on 2 more version upgrades to the chip. They will be rolling them out in a couple/few months.

alistairs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2014
Castro Valley, CA, USA
I would love a TC dna40 chip, but the more reasonably priced ones are all out of stock it seems.

For anyone looking for a genuine DNA40 mod but not wanting to wait for a Vaporshark: Hana Modz (pack, mini, and dual battery V4D, all $250) and Vaporflasks ($300) are all available right now; custom Protovapor XPVs ($210 on sale) have a 2 week lead time.

rhelton

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2014
spokane, wa
I cant answer about the mini. But I do have a SX350 and a DNA30. The Yihi out performs the DNA hands down. I build high ohm's and I use the power the board is made for. It will vape at 9.5 v at 1.5 ohm's with a single VTC5. And yah as low as .15 ohms but with a Yihi device why would you vape subohm, sure dont make sense.

peterforpats

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2013
"I just bought theSX mini and will await a more mature dna40 device. I watched some interviews with the Evolve guys and they are working on 2 more version upgrades to the chip. They will be rolling them out in a couple/few months."
and here is the biggest difference between the two boards- when evolv does their upgrades you will have to buy new product each and every time. when yihi does their upgrade you just download it and you have a "new" board without having to buy anything. as a consumer, i'll take the yihi way every time. my sx mini doesn't get outdated unlike the evolv products. who wants to keep buying a high end mod each time evolv decides to upgrade their boards?

msmith4512

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2014
New York, NY
I cant answer about the mini. But I do have a SX350 and a DNA30. The Yihi out performs the DNA hands down. I build high ohm's and I use the power the board is made for. It will vape at 9.5 v at 1.5 ohm's with a single VTC5. And yah as low as .15 ohms but with a Yihi device why would you vape subohm, sure dont make sense.

"And yah as low as .15 ohms but with a Yihi device why would you vape subohm, sure dont make sense. "

I wish more people would get this wisdom. Watts are watts, and the amount of watts you get from your battery is determined by the amount of current (Amps) drawn times the voltage. The amount of current drawn is impacted by the resistance (Ohms) to the current. So less resistance, e.g. lower Ohms, will let more current flow and give more watts for a specific voltage. If you use a mech mod, your voltage is limited to 4.2V (fully charged battery) to about 3.3V (fully drained battery). So reducing your Ohm resistance is the best way to increase your wattage for bigger clouds and richer flavor, since you can't increase your voltage. That's why people sub Ohm. Of course there are safety issues if you reduce resistance too low and over stress your battery by draining it beyond it current output limit - e.g 20Amp or 35Amps as listed on the battery.

The beauty of regulated devices is that they allow you to adjust your voltage to give you your desired wattage output regardless of your resistance. So you'll get the same 32 watt output with a .5 Ohm build at 4 volts and you will with a 2 Ohm build at 8 volts. Plus regulated devices have software to prevent you from exceeding the current drain limits of your battery.

If you use both mechs and regulated mods, then I can see building subohm for flexibility when switching between regulated and unregulated voltage power sources. But if you use regulated devices exclusively, then don't worry about the Ohms. Just build the best combination of wire thickness and wraps to fit your RDA/RBA design and produce optimal flavor. Some people say that more wire (e.g. more wraps) gives more surface area for the wire to vaporize liquid off your wick and thus gives better flavor. Some also say that thinner wire heats up faster and gives a stronger "hit." More wraps and thinner wire means more resistance (higher Ohms) since the current has a longer and thinner "hose" to travel through. But your regulated mod lets you boost the current (by boosting the voltage) going through the wire to produce your desired wattage.

I think in the future things like temperature, power, heat flux and surface area will become more important buzzwords to vapers than sub ohming. I think that's where the DNA40 is going with its temperature control chip and the SX350 is going with its multi-mode power chip. I love my SX Mini. I'm eager to get a DNA40 device once the current quality issues are worked out.

SavePaperVapor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2009
Minnesota, USA
"And yah as low as .15 ohms but with a Yihi device why would you vape subohm, sure dont make sense. "

I wish more people would get this wisdom. Watts are watts, and the amount of watts you get from your battery is determined by the amount of current (Amps) drawn times the voltage. The amount of current drawn is impacted by the resistance (Ohms) to the current. So less resistance, e.g. lower Ohms, will let more current flow and give more watts for a specific voltage. If you use a mech mod, your voltage is limited to 4.2V (fully charged battery) to about 3.3V (fully drained battery). So reducing your Ohm resistance is the best way to increase your wattage for bigger clouds and richer flavor, since you can't increase your voltage. That's why people sub Ohm. Of course there are safety issues if you reduce resistance too low and over stress your battery by draining it beyond it current output limit - e.g 20Amp or 35Amps as listed on the battery.

The beauty of regulated devices is that they allow you to adjust your voltage to give you your desired wattage output regardless of your resistance. So you'll get the same 32 watt output with a .5 Ohm build at 4 volts and you will with a 2 Ohm build at 8 volts. Plus regulated devices have software to prevent you from exceeding the current drain limits of your battery.

If you use both mechs and regulated mods, then I can see building subohm for flexibility when switching between regulated and unregulated voltage power sources. But if you use regulated devices exclusively, then don't worry about the Ohms. Just build the best combination of wire thickness and wraps to fit your RDA/RBA design and produce optimal flavor. Some people say that more wire (e.g. more wraps) gives more surface area for the wire to vaporize liquid off your wick and thus gives better flavor. Some also say that thinner wire heats up faster and gives a stronger "hit." More wraps and thinner wire means more resistance (higher Ohms) since the current has a longer and thinner "hose" to travel through. But your regulated mod lets you boost the current (by boosting the voltage) going through the wire to produce your desired wattage.

I think in the future things like temperature, power, heat flux and surface area will become more important buzzwords to vapers than sub ohming. I think that's where the DNA40 is going with its temperature control chip and the SX350 is going with its multi-mode power chip. I love my SX Mini. I'm eager to get a DNA40 device once the current quality issues are worked out.

Well, I find running sub ohm gives me better battery performance, so there's that.

fredrikstad

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2014
Fredrikstad,Norway

YiHi writes on their site, that the SX 350 is more suitable for subohming.

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
"I just bought theSX mini and will await a more mature dna40 device. I watched some interviews with the Evolve guys and they are working on 2 more version upgrades to the chip. They will be rolling them out in a couple/few months."
and here is the biggest difference between the two boards- when evolv does their upgrades you will have to buy new product each and every time. when yihi does their upgrade you just download it and you have a "new" board without having to buy anything. as a consumer, i'll take the yihi way every time. my sx mini doesn't get outdated unlike the evolv products. who wants to keep buying a high end mod each time evolv decides to upgrade their boards?

That is a very good point....I think it is main advantage that SX mini has on DNA 40 devices. I wonder if in the future will they do an upgrade so that SX mini will have TC?

peterforpats

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2013
That is a very good point....I think it is main advantage that SX mini has on DNA 40 devices. I wonder if in the future will they do an upgrade so that SX mini will have TC?

the answer is YES. i was told by a vendor that a future upgrade will have temp. control......

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
YiHi writes on their site, that the SX 350 is more suitable for subohming.

Well, yes, because it will fire down to 0.15 ohms. Doesn't mean you should.

As msmith4512 eloquently described, running crazy low ohms with a variable wattage device isn't really necessary. Prior to getting the Mini 3+ weeks ago, I had been using mechs exclusively over the past 6 months or so with .7ish ohm builds (no, I'm not a really high wattage vaper). While those builds did fire on the Mini, rebuilding them to be 1.4-1.5 ohm builds was massively better from a flavor perspective at the same wattage. I like that I can adjust my builds and wattage for best flavor/vapor, because a 1.5ohm build on a mech just wouldn't satisfy me.

Adding my $0.02 to the original question, I too seriously considered getting a DNA 40, and even almost pushed the button on the VS. I ended up going with the SX Mini, and I absolutely love it. No regrets whatsoever.

A few reasons I didn't go with DNA 40 right now: 1) availability of product, I didn't want to wait 30+ days; 2) reports of glitching with TC/nickel builds, which is the main selling point anyway; and 3) the mods seem really expensive to me, with the exception of the VS (which isn't a perfect mod either).

KC33

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2013
Ft. Lauderdale, FL USA
Very well detailed and important information. I am looking to pick up an rDNA40 as well, once the kinks are fully worked out. I have seen too many posts about rDNA40's being returned after a day of use lol

Yes, it's unfortunate and exactly why I chose the SX Mini. Well actually I also chose it cuz of the way it looks, feels in the hand, the power modes and the 510.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread