Yihi SX Mini 350 vs rDNA 40 VS (Pros & Cons?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
The old dna yes the newer rDNA uses 18659 batteries rDNA The Next Generation

Actually it is quite easy to do if you have any experience at all with a soldering iron. I wouldn't pay VS $25 plus the cost of shipping both ways to do something I can do myself in about 30 minutes (less if you don't have to fight off your children who want to watch and learn! :) )

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
Okay, so for those of you with the YiHi SX350 minis, where is a good place to buy one at a good price?

The SXMini is price controlled so you won't find it for less than $189.99. If someone is charging less, they are selling vaporware (no pun intended), a clone or are not authorized and you may have warranty issues. If someone is charging more...run! Welcome to VariTube.com - A Better Alternative to Smoking is highly regarded and offers a whole host of DIY parts for the SX350 series boards.

Crunchy2k

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Left Coast
The SXMini is price controlled so you won't find it for less than $189.99. If someone is charging less, they are selling vaporware (no pun intended), a clone or are not authorized and you may have warranty issues. If someone is charging more...run! Welcome to VariTube.com - A Better Alternative to Smoking is highly regarded and offers a whole host of DIY parts for the SX350 series boards.
You should have said there is no good place to buy a SXMini. After the Chinese New Year this February, temperature control is coming from the YiHi chip maker. It is the sx350j. Like no more dry burned hits ever. Since we have been using pastry flavoids, those will be tested at the vaporizing temperatures of vg/pg mixes for dangerous vapors. Some like coffee and Cinnamon are effecting heart cells in a petri dish. .. love Clear Coffee and Cinnamon and will hate to lose it in my daily flavors. I swap tanks out as I am not a cig smoker stuck to one ash tasting brand now like PhilB. I will move it the weekly flavors. In the meantime, I just got 35 more Flavor Apprentice samples from Wizard Labs. I love those sealed glass bottles. When I need bigger volumes, Flavor Apprentice is in Scotts Valley forty miles from San Jose and a visit with old Boulder Creek friends causing an enjoyable experience.

jpcwon

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
North Easton, MA
I own a VS rDNA 30 (along with several DNA 40 devices). And I just got an SX Mini the other day. While I do think that TC is the wave of the future, I have to admit that the SX Mini is amazing. I was blown away at how well made the device is. Both the chip and the overall construction of the SX is REALLY good. I don't normally vape at higher wattages so I probably won't use all 60 watts on the Mini, but it's nice to know that it's capable should I choose......

I am a huge fan of the DNA 40, but I decided to shake things up a bit by getting the SX Mini. Glad I did - I am very pleasantly surprised at how awesome it is.....

Reactions: odivad

Crunchy2k

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Left Coast
I own a VS rDNA 30 (along with several DNA 40 devices). And I just got an SX Mini the other day. While I do think that TC is the wave of the future, I have to admit that the SX Mini is amazing. I was blown away at how well made the device is. Both the chip and the overall construction of the SX is REALLY good. I don't normally vape at higher wattages so I probably won't use all 60 watts on the Mini, but it's nice to know that it's capable should I choose......

I am a huge fan of the DNA 40, but I decided to shake things up a bit by getting the SX Mini. Glad I did - I am very pleasantly surprised at how awesome it is.....
In a few months, you will say, ' was a good buy.' Wait until the TC chip wars settle out. Just use what you own now. I have a VTR and it rocks my stealth needs. Or maybe buy a Tobeco kayfun v4 tank to keep the thrill going... My tobeco Kayfun v4 tank is impressive with only two slivers found during washing. The threads are silky smooth with only two threads area a little ruff. It has peek plastic insulation.

Evolv 30 chips are filling retailer's inventory. No new user need buy the 30 watt Evolv chip devices as they were by-passed by the DNA40D chip board at the same price level. I am waiting for the YiHi sx350j chip board available after the Chinese New Year in February. In the meantime, I have a Vapor Flask clone with the new dna40 licensed chip coming....dna30 is dead unless you get it at 50% off.

Last edited:

Woofer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2014
PA, SK, CA
Wellllllllll now yihi is coming out with an updated version of the sxmini with temp control and 65 watts with 85 during passthrough mode. So if there was any question to this debate i am pretty sure yihi just stomped it. The sxmini is honestly the best device i have ever handled in terms of overall quality/ craftsmanship. VS feels like a toy in comparison, and now that the temp control field is going to be even i would not even consider the VS.

yihi is still playing catch up (and probably stealing Evolv`s innovation and IP)
This is far from the first first Evolv has brought to market and I doubt it will be the last.
Perhaps yihi will bring something new to market, perhaps they will continue to ride on other`s ideas.

regardless ... Vapor Shark sounds way cooler then yihi :lol:

Reactions: KTMRider

SavePaperVapor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2009
Minnesota, USA
yihi is still playing catch up (and probably stealing Evolv`s innovation and IP)
This is far from the first first Evolv has brought to market and I doubt it will be the last.
Perhaps yihi will bring something new to market, perhaps they will continue to ride on other`s ideas.

regardless ... Vapor Shark sounds way cooler then yihi :lol:
Yihi already has. The soft, standard, and powerful settings are amazing. The joules reading is pretty cool as well. They even have a battery gauge that's reliable.

djensen9367

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2012
oregon
dna was the best in their day, right now they are lagging behind, one "oh ...." cancels a lot of atta boys. TC is over rated, they both have it, i won't use it as i don't vape that high and i have a lot of kanthal and nicrome is not very special (except for TC). The biggest thing for yihi is that you can update thru the usb, BIG PLUS for us that don't have tons of money, I just upgraded all of my equipment, have been using reos (they are great) but not good for traveling, We have some great equipment now compared to when I first started vaping, the sx mini is fantastic, next month or six months from now who knows what will be tops, right now it is not the DNA

tc1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Ohio
You should pre-order. Thinking of placing an order in 1 week - at least here in Canada prices will be higher by $50 once the item is in stock.

Pretty sure YiHi controls the pricing of their mods. Any vendor who is selling them at a lower/higher price could get blacklisted.

I could be wrong though ...

SaabFanatic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2014
Peterborough, Canada
Pretty sure YiHi controls the pricing of their mods. Any vendor who is selling them at a lower/higher price could get blacklisted.

Not sure, they might have a set USD MSRP price. However, with currency fluctuations, countries outside the USA might have to adjust pricing.

Nuclear Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2014
Memphis, TN
I've had great luck with the DNA40 boards. I have the first version and the newer large screen board version. Never a problem with either. I like the layout and the way it operates. Nor do I mind paying a little more for an American made device.

My only big complaint with the SX mini is plain and simple, I hate gravity sensor boards.

Reactions: KTMRider

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
Too many people still having problems with DNA40 mods for me to even think about investing in one.
Mostly user error.

YUP!

Another issue with the device not reading any atty's.

Evolv is falling behind as usual :/
Atomizer or mod issue, not a chip issue.

That's what I heard early on. Being that the prices are still up there, might still be going on.

Dna40 devices are overpriced, thats one reason not to get it when new tc devices that performs just as good if not better are being sold for half or a fraction of the price, i thought about dropping 250 plus on one but im glad i didnt, what a waste of $
Usually, the ones that never tried a real Evolv chip say this. Just as good? Highly doubtful. Better? No way in hell. DNA40 devices have come way down. You can pick one up for around $100.

I've had great luck with the DNA40 boards. I have the first version and the newer large screen board version. Never a problem with either. I like the layout and the way it operates. Nor do I mind paying a little more for an American made device.

My only big complaint with the SX mini is plain and simple, I hate gravity sensor boards.
v2.2 of the firmware allows you to turn off the gravity sensor. I have mine off but it still has auto screen orientation (separate setting, thank god).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread