Status
Not open for further replies.

Miata GT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Largo, FL
Definitely excited about this (and Imeo's VIR). Hopefully they'll post an update with stats soon. Just whetting appetites does no good.

Unless it keeps you away from the DNA40, then it does. Classic vaporware scenario for future computer software releases (not saying they won't do it...).

2mq2mwn.jpg

Darkly spectr

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2014
Belgium
is it really?
Well yeah. regulation in europe is about to kick the vaping scene here in the face soon. also it's expensive for european vendors to get box mods from the US because shipping is huge and our customs tax the .... out of imported stuff so the profits are super low. also 200 euro+ devices don't sell as much as 50-100 euro devices so stores are not that willing to stock those devices and when they DO they get sold out immediately meaning these things are always sold out and they maybe come in stock like once a month ish?

plus everybody here seems to ....ing love the hana for some reason.

AB Dada

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2014
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Do you guys think that this unit will require nickel wire like the DNA 40? Also, what the heck are joules and why should I care?
A joule is a Watt-second. It is a measure of power over time.

Basically, one joule is passing an electric current of one amp through a resistance of one ohm for one second.

It's a better measure of energy output than just saying watts.

Last edited:

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Norway
www.steam-engine.org
A joule is a Watt-second. It is a measure of power over time.

Basically, one joule is passing an electric current of one amp through a resistance of one ohm for one second.

This is why I have trouble understanding what this has got to do with temperature control. It can be argued that any VW mod with a 10 second cutoff has joule control.

I'm not saying that this thing doesn't though. I just don't get what they mean by it.

AB Dada

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2014
This is why I have trouble understanding what this has got to do with temperature control. It can be argued that any VW mod with a 10 second cutoff has joule control.

I'm not saying that this thing doesn't though. I just don't get what they mean by it.

Are you good with science? Meaning, hard science?

If so, you'll undestand it better. If not, it is a LOT of learning.

Basically, heat is measured in joules. In the UK, heat is measured in BTUs. Imagine they're the same thing. Heat is NOT temperature. Heat is what raises the temperature of something: imagine a liter of water at 100 degrees. Heat is what raises the temperature of that liter of water from 100 degrees to 101 degrees.

Joules is the measurement of that heat.

If you know how much heat you are applying to something (joules of heat), you can know what the temperature of that something is. Applying heat to a specific metal (joules into a specific metal) should give you an ability to estimate what the temperature of that specific metal will be.

This is me trying to put it in simple terms. Sadly, the science is tricky enough that it isn't so easy to describe it simply.

mecjac

Jun 13, 2014
Dayton Ohio

Basically, heat is measured in joules. In the UK, heat is measured in BTUs. Imagine they're the same thing. Heat is NOT temperature. Heat is what raises the temperature of something: imagine a liter of water at 100 degrees. Heat is what raises the temperature of that liter of water from 100 degrees to 101 degrees.

If you know how much heat you are applying to something (joules of heat), you can know what the temperature of that something is. Applying heat to a specific metal (joules into a specific metal) should give you an ability to estimate what the temperature of that specific metal will be.

This is me trying to put it in simple terms. Sadly, the science is tricky enough that it isn't so easy to describe it simply.

Would external variables change the amount of heat needed to bring something to a desired temperature? For instance could air or liquid moving over metal change the amount of heat needed to bring the metal to a desired temperature?

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise

Except there are many variables that change massively, airflow, liquid feed rate, liquid phase change, etc., which affect what the actual temperature is. That's kind of the point of temp control.

AB Dada

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2014
Except there are many variables that change massively, airflow, liquid feed rate, liquid phase change, etc., which affect what the actual temperature is. That's kind of the point of temp control.
Agree. Also why "variable joule" is a joke.

Variable temperature, fine. Variable heat? BS.

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Norway
www.steam-engine.org
I understand the difference between heat and temperature. What I don't understand is what exactly this board is doing differently from a VW board.

If someone can explain that in clear, scientific and precise terms (by all means, do use electrical engineering jargon if needed, and/or equations if that helps), that'd be great. :)

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
I understand the difference between heat and temperature. What I don't understand is what exactly this board is doing differently from a VW board.

If someone can explain that in clear, scientific and precise terms (by all means, do use electrical engineering jargon if needed, and/or equations if that helps), that'd be great. :)

Well it seems to imply an automatic time limit. So it will cut out once it hits the joule number you set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread