The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Yihi SX350J temp control

Discussion in 'Temperature Control' started by Trailz, Jan 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Trailz

Trailz Super Member ECF Veteran

Sep 4, 2014
    NE OH US
    YiHi announced this chip on their Facebook site. No specific details at this time. Since the SX Mini displays joules, hoping they release temp control with an update.

2. sp13

sp13 Full Member

Dec 4, 2014
    I have my fingers crossed that Yihi gives SX Mini owners joule control updated firmware.

3. AB Dada

AB Dada Senior Member ECF Veteran

Definitely excited about this (and Imeo's VIR). Hopefully they'll post an update with stats soon. Just whetting appetites does no good.

4. Miata GT

Miata GT Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Nov 28, 2013
    Largo, FL
    Unless it keeps you away from the DNA40, then it does. Classic vaporware scenario for future computer software releases (not saying they won't do it...).

5. v1k1ng1001

v1k1ng1001 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Edinburg, TX
    My trigger finger was getting itchy for a yihi-powered box. Maybe I'll just wait a few months to see what shows up.

6. tot31

tot31 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jul 7, 2013
    Malaysia
  7. adidampfer

adidampfer Full Member

Jan 18, 2015
    we have to wait :-( but its great - hope Pioneer4You will do something with this... The rDNA MOD is hard to get in germany... So Yihi makes that we have more temp control box mods :) yeeeeeaaaah

8. dr g

dr g Moved On ECF Veteran

Mar 12, 2012
    Paradise
    is it really?

9. Darkly spectr

Darkly spectr Super Member ECF Veteran

Sep 9, 2014
    Belgium
    Well yeah. regulation in europe is about to kick the vaping scene here in the face soon. also it's expensive for european vendors to get box mods from the US because shipping is huge and our customs tax the .... out of imported stuff so the profits are super low. also 200 euro+ devices don't sell as much as 50-100 euro devices so stores are not that willing to stock those devices and when they DO they get sold out immediately meaning these things are always sold out and they maybe come in stock like once a month ish?

plus everybody here seems to ....ing love the hana for some reason.

10. xdarktime

xdarktime Senior Member

Do you guys think that this unit will require nickel wire like the DNA 40? Also, what the heck are joules and why should I care?

11. AB Dada

A joule is a Watt-second. It is a measure of power over time.

Basically, one joule is passing an electric current of one amp through a resistance of one ohm for one second.

It's a better measure of energy output than just saying watts.

12. snow blind

snow blind Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 12, 2012
    PA
    Very much looking forward to this new board. If their track record is anything to go on... i think this could be a game changer if they figure it out and it operates better than the DNA 40. 120 watt... 200-580°F... down to 0.08 ohm... output up to 9.5 volts... that's big.

13. Dampmaskin

Dampmaskin Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 28, 2014
    Norway
    This is why I have trouble understanding what this has got to do with temperature control. It can be argued that any VW mod with a 10 second cutoff has joule control.

I'm not saying that this thing doesn't though. I just don't get what they mean by it.

14. AB Dada

Are you good with science? Meaning, hard science?

If so, you'll undestand it better. If not, it is a LOT of learning.

Basically, heat is measured in joules. In the UK, heat is measured in BTUs. Imagine they're the same thing. Heat is NOT temperature. Heat is what raises the temperature of something: imagine a liter of water at 100 degrees. Heat is what raises the temperature of that liter of water from 100 degrees to 101 degrees.

Joules is the measurement of that heat.

If you know how much heat you are applying to something (joules of heat), you can know what the temperature of that something is. Applying heat to a specific metal (joules into a specific metal) should give you an ability to estimate what the temperature of that specific metal will be.

This is me trying to put it in simple terms. Sadly, the science is tricky enough that it isn't so easy to describe it simply.

15. mecjac

mecjac Full Member

Jun 13, 2014
    Dayton Ohio
    Would external variables change the amount of heat needed to bring something to a desired temperature? For instance could air or liquid moving over metal change the amount of heat needed to bring the metal to a desired temperature?

16. dr g

Mar 12, 2012
    Paradise
    Except there are many variables that change massively, airflow, liquid feed rate, liquid phase change, etc., which affect what the actual temperature is. That's kind of the point of temp control.

17. AB Dada

Agree. Also why "variable joule" is a joke.

Variable temperature, fine. Variable heat? BS.

18. Dampmaskin

Dampmaskin Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 28, 2014
    Norway
    I understand the difference between heat and temperature. What I don't understand is what exactly this board is doing differently from a VW board.

If someone can explain that in clear, scientific and precise terms (by all means, do use electrical engineering jargon if needed, and/or equations if that helps), that'd be great. :)

19. dr g

Mar 12, 2012
    Paradise
    Well it seems to imply an automatic time limit. So it will cut out once it hits the joule number you set.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.