Yihi SX350J temp control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crunchy2k

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Left Coast
I am new to GG, about a year of reading and theorizing.

The original Proteus was going to be just VV and VW. He wanted a tiny chip for a 14500 and engineered it. And then Evolv got a patent on VW. Mindblowing stupidity from the patent office. So GG had to start over and that how VIR mode came to be.
(snip)
The Evolv patent makes for a good read. It is essentially a 'I did it with a computer' patent. SCOTUS in a unanimous Alice v. CLS Bank decision essentially said in June of 2014, that adding a computer to do what is already done manually is not patentable. The circuit Evolv is using was first described in 1833 by Samuel Hunter Christie (1784-1865.) Evolv decided that trained fleas couldn't change the power to a coil in relation to the change in resistance reliably. Evolv choose to use an arm processor that has a built-in A/D converter which can monitor the coil resistance while the cpu changes the power. Evolv has applied for changes in their original patent in May 2014 and again November 2014. For search purposes, the assignee on record Is Evolv, LLC.

Last edited:

Woofer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2014
PA, SK, CA
Because it's a ridiculous patent that has no new invention involved in it and it's a restriction on better engineering coming out from competition.

As to who, I'm sure a bigger manufacturer can afford a lawsuit necessary to fling it off the patent books.

Well if better engineering is coming from the competition then it is not much of a restriction.
By competition you mean the cloners and IP thieves because it is not a restriction for them either.
It is extraordinarily unlikely a US patent will be overturned to benefit off shore manufacturers, there are no domestic competitors.

rockstarr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2009
ohio
You seem to be a good dude AB and you do come off as patient and knowledgeable! Maybe I was a little out of line with my previous statements but I can't help but laugh about what I still read over there. I've been around here a long time and was using GG in 09 when they were one of the only and most seeked mods on the market.. It doesn't seem much has changed to me, I used to think it was the coolest thing ever(even though my wife and colleagues thought it looked awful, like I was carrying around some big tool from my toolbox:D)until the creator...well, you can go back and read, but I will say this: There is a reason most all of the original group from 09 that HUGELY invested and supported GG bailed, mostly because of the over the top ego and crazy ways customers and "friends" were treated. Many of those people are still on here and have clearly moved on and not looked back. I recently started reading the threads again and it still seems like much of the same ol same ol to me, people getting banned, post being deleted, etc., etc.. I do hope you get your VIR and that it"s everything you hope for it to be! I personally will never buy from him again, but if it's everything he's says it is(still no proof) it'll most likely be in more mods than his...right? I've truly enjoyed watching the vape world evolve over the last 7 yrs and haven't had a cig since, after all it's how most of us landed here. I truly hope you find your vape Nirvana!:toast:

Last edited:

AB Dada

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2014
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Haha nah I'm a total d-bag rockstarr, and I admit that the naysayers have traction.

If evolv hadn't done the douchiest move in the world I think he would have released a horrible outdated product.

But thanks to Evolve's idiocy, he was forced to re-engineer from scratch and I'm hoping it'll be just that Nirvana.

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
You have any studies saying that specifically the proteus and the proteus alone will only stop acrolein production entirely, or that there is even a link between the two in general? No.

Don't need studies when acrolein is a natural by-product of the thermal decomposition of glycerin. From Wiki:

When glycerol (also called glycerin) is heated to 280 °C, it decomposes into acrolein:

(CH2OH)2CHOH → CH2=CHCHO + 2 H2O

280C = 536F. I would bet some people do hit 530F in some of the low subohm, high wattage builds. Of course, acrolein does have a rancid taste and smell, so it's doubtful there would be that much of it without the user noticing it, but it's possible there's small amounts not detectable by the human senses. And small amounts over time (chronic exposure) can be bad too.

Keep in mind too that the above is only when heating pure glycerin. Considering there is a bit of a cocktail going on in our e-juice (PG, flavorings), the decomposition temp might be even lower.

We need research on high end vaping equipment. So far all of the research I have seen on e-cig emissions have been done with cheap gas station cigalikes (with crappy welded tin and copper joints that touch the wire) or egos and a CE4.

I would like to see such a study using a VW device and a RDA or RTA.

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
Don't need studies when acrolein is a natural by-product of the thermal decomposition of glycerin. From Wiki:

When glycerol (also called glycerin) is heated to 280 °C, it decomposes into acrolein:
(CH2OH)2CHOH → CH2=CHCHO + 2 H2O

280C = 536F. I would bet some people do hit 530F in some of the low subohm, high wattage builds. Of course, acrolein does have a rancid taste and smell, so it's doubtful there would be that much of it without the user noticing it, but it's possible there's small amounts not detectable by the human senses. And small amounts over time (chronic exposure) can be bad too.

Dr. Farsalinos will be studying at what levels real life vapers are able to detect toxic chemicals in their vape. He discusses this starting at 29:44 in his interview with Phil Busardo.

Keep in mind too that the above is only when heating pure glycerin. Considering there is a bit of a cocktail going on in our e-juice (PG, flavorings), the decomposition temp might be even lower.

In the same Busardo interview Dr. Farsalinos speaks briefly about what he has observed regarding the separation of VG and water at the boiling point at 26:21. The boiling point of 90% VG/10% water is 280.4°F/138°C. However it seems because the water and VG separate that at 320F/160°C no vapor is produced. Although he didn't provide details, Dr. Farsalinos did say he will be studying how this impacts the production of toxic substances regarding vaping.

We need research on high end vaping equipment. So far all of the research I have seen on e-cig emissions have been done with cheap gas station cigalikes (with crappy welded tin and copper joints that touch the wire) or egos and a CE4.

I would like to see such a study using a VW device and a RDA or RTA.
Although I've not yet seen details Dimi on Vapour Trails at - 31:55 said that Chinese vendors are funding a Farsalinos study showing 2nd & 3rd generations products versus 1st generation

bilboda

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2012
Miami, FL
I have an IPV4 on order. Don't know how they are doing this but
Capture_1.jpg

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg