Status
Not open for further replies.

vicsan

Sparky
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2011
IL
Found an emery board in the office .... Bruce was very interested that I would want to borrow his emery board........

SW working much better but I think the wick and coil needs to be replaced

PG, instead of replacing the wick and coil, just do a good dry burn on it. Wicks and coils should last months and months...if kept clean.
Empty the tank with your nifty Zenjector, fire the coil until glowing and dunk in a glass of water. Gently dry everything, fire it up again, until glowing and dunk...rinse and repeat until your wick and coil are clean. You will see all the gunk fall into the glass of water. The coil looks almost like new (clean and shiny) after a dry burn. They also vape like a fresh wick and coil after a dry burn.

You could do this at work too. :) It only takes a few minutes.

pchela

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2010
The only blue county in Texas!
Woohoo! The Bam is soooo light and is up and running and hitting beautifully right off the bat! Maybe I can send my APV's to Zen~ every other month and have him replace my wicks and coils. His are so much better than mine! :D

Also, guess I need to learn how to make a wick. Where's the best tutorial? The wick in the Bam is considerably thicker than the ones that came with the Zenesis Mini. I've heard a bit of discussion about that but missed all of the details - they whys and hows.

Last edited:

vicsan

Sparky
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2011
IL
Woohoo! The Bam is up and running and hitting beautifully right off the bat! Maybe I can send my APV's to Zen~ every other month and have him replace my wicks and coils. His are so much better than mine! :D

Also, guess I need to learn how to make a wick. Where's the best tutorial? The wick in the Bam is considerably thicker than the ones that came with the Zenesis Mini. I've heard a bit of discussion about that but missed all of the details - they whys and hows.

I can't help with the wick info. I just put one of my insulators in my BAM wick hole and rolled my usual size wicks. I'm sure someone has the mesh size you'll need to roll a fat wick. So glad you finally got your BAM! :)

Vapor2112

Atty Baller - Level 2
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2010
Virgin-ia
Anodizing creates a conductive barrier on the aluminum (doesn't sound right, but basically, anodized aluminum ain't conductive) , eliminating the need to use the insulator..

Without the insulator, you can use a thicker wick.

That's about it... :)

Woohoo! The Bam is soooo light and is up and running and hitting beautifully right off the bat! Maybe I can send my APV's to Zen~ every other month and have him replace my wicks and coils. His are so much better than mine! :D

vicsan

Sparky
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2011
IL
Anodizing creates a conductive barrier on the aluminum (doesn't sound right, but basically, anodized aluminum ain't conductive) , eliminating the need to use the insulator..

Do you know what size the mesh needs to be cut for a fat wick? I cut my regular wick mesh 15mm x 50mm, so the fat wick is maybe 100mm wide?

ksmith

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2011
Colcord, Oklahoma
I can't help with the wick info. I just put one of my insulators in my BAM wick hole and rolled my usual size wicks. I'm sure someone has the mesh size you'll need to roll a fat wick. So glad you finally got your BAM! :)

That's what I just did to my Colbalt. Only difference is I used a 35mm(L) x 55mm (W) 500 mesh rolled as tight as I could get it and a 4 wrap 32awg coil. Working pretty darn good.

pchela

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2010
The only blue county in Texas!

Well that was a much simpler explanation than I was expecting. Thanks! Now I need to learn to roll a wick.

Projectguy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2012
Oakville, ON
PG, instead of replacing the wick and coil, just do a good dry burn on it. Wicks and coils should last months and months...if kept clean.
Empty the tank with your nifty Zenjector, fire the coil until glowing and dunk in a glass of water. Gently dry everything, fire it up again, until glowing and dunk...rinse and repeat until your wick and coil are clean. You will see all the gunk fall into the glass of water. The coil looks almost like new (clean and shiny) after a dry burn. They also vape like a fresh wick and coil after a dry burn.

You could do this at work too. :) It only takes a few minutes.

Vickie you've convinced me.... stand by

Vapor2112

Atty Baller - Level 2
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2010
Virgin-ia
I've never measured mesh...
I cut a little more than I need, roll to the size I want, and trim the excess...
I do this partially because I can't be bothered looking for a ruler, and partly because wicks last so long that I probably have a 14 year supply so I'm not concerned by the minimal excess I cut off and toss...

Do you know what size the mesh needs to be cut for a fat wick? I cut my regular wick mesh 15mm x 50mm, so the fat wick is maybe 100mm wide?

ksmith

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2011
Colcord, Oklahoma

Vic, I have seen in another thread that some are using an 80mm piece on their ZAP's without the insulator. A couple said they tried a 100mm wick but couldn't really tell a difference between it and a 80mm wick.

I have tried the fatter wick and find them not really to my liking. Just my personal preference.

vicsan

Sparky
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2011
IL
Vic, I have seen in another thread that some are using an 80mm piece on their ZAP's without the insulator. A couple said they tried a 100mm wick but couldn't really tell a difference between it and a 80mm wick.

I have tried the fatter wick and find them not really to my liking. Just my personal preference.

I was having firing issues with my BAM (before we knew it needed a zen~ fix) and adding the insulator to the wick hole was just one of the things I had tried to get it to fire better. It worked for a day and then it just died completely. I'll probably just stick with the insulator too. I have so many pre-rolled wicks to use up, I may as well use them. If I ever decide to try the fat wick again, it's good to know 80mm works well. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread