Zenith MTL tank leaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasOperator

Apr 3, 2018
So I bought the Zenith tank on recommendation of fellow forum members who obviously had grewt rewults with this tank. I enjoy it and have figured out the sweet spot for me.

I have 1 problem with the tank, and that is that it leaks like a sive. One of my main criteria was that the tank doesn't leak (much). I understand that leakage is just part of the deal. My issue is that if I leave it sitting for any period of time the entire tank enpties onto the mod, surface its sitting on. This morning I woke up to a full tank of juice on my mod and counter, then taking a vreak at work I found the tank had emptied all over my cup holder. I leave the mod/tank in its upright position sitting on its base.

Any help troubleshooting on this will be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Could be from damaged or misplaced o-rings in the tank. Could be a difference in air temperature or a difference in air pressure when going from a hot to cool area, or vice versa. You may have crossthreaded the coil or crossthreaded the top or bottom of the tank during assembly. See the last two items in the troubleshooting/tips below:

asb0214Screw11.jpg

crossthreading

Have you been able to determine the specific location on the tank the leaking is coming from?

Clearomizer Troubleshooting and Tips
:

"Flooding" is a common occurrence in e-cigarettes. The definition of flooding is getting juice into the air passage of the tank. This can include any point between the mouth piece and the very bottom part that connects to the battery. Each tank has holes in that air passage, where the wicks passthrough. This is required for the device to work properly. Unfortunately, this opens up the possibility for flooding. The trick with flooding, is knowing how to avoid it. I’ll explain a little more, but a few common causes for flooding a tank include: improper filling, over filling, pulling too hard when hitting the device, and the temperature can even play a role and/or damage.

"Dry" or "burnt" hits are also a common occurrence in e-cigarettes. This happens when an inadequate quantity of e-liquid reaches the coil. This can occur from using an e-liquid which is too thick for a tank, intake holes for the e-liquid being inadequate, or using a bad wick or coil. Doing "primer puffs", which is taking a puff or two without power on, may eliminate this phenomenon.

Before I get into the explanation, let me explain how an e-cig works a little more in depth. Nearly every tank has a wick that is used to absorb the juice in the tank. This wick cuts through the air passage. Each wick has a piece of wire that wraps around it in a coil. When you activate the button on the battery, you send electricity through the wire. As the wire heats up, it vaporizes the juice that is in the wick.

Improper Filling: When filling your tank, you have to be careful not to get juice into the center tube of the tank. This center tube is the air passage. When you take a draw, air comes from the bottom of the tank, through the air passage and into your mouth. If you get juice into this passage way, your tank is flooded.

Over Filling: If you over fill a tank (specifically a top coil like the ones that come with the starter kits and gift boxes), the wicks can become over saturated and just like a rain cloud, they will leak into the air passage. Once this happens, you have a flooded tank.

Pulling Too Hard: As I mentioned the wicks absorb the juice in the tank. As you pull on the device, you cause a vacuum effect that pulls juice into the wicks. If you pull too hard, you can pull in more juice then the coil can vaporize. If this happens, the juice leaks into the air passage and you have a flooded tank.

Temperature: E-Juice is a viscous liquid. Which means that as it warms up, it will thin out. And in the opposite form, it will thicken when it gets cold. When it thins, it is more difficult for the wicks to hold back the thin juice. This usually causes the wicks to over saturate and, you guessed it, it will leak into the air passage and you have a flooded tank.

Damage: There are o-rings and gaskets used that can wear out with usage. If certain ones fail or get lost, leaking will occur, in turn flooding the air passage and causing you to have a flooded tank. Other than accidentally losing something, damage can occur when its carried in a purse or a pocket or by over tightening the tank to the battery. Over tightening is a very common cause of leaking due to the damage it creates.

Why does my Tank Leak and what can I do about it? | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It sounds like a bad seal to me. Check all the orings and make sure none of them are missing/deformed/ etc.

This tank is known to be a non leaker, honestly. I'd be surprised if something was out of wack, but worst case, if you can't isolate it, return it. There may be an issue with the tank but it sounds more like orings to me.

Anna

TexasOperator

Apr 3, 2018
Well, I took the base off to access the atomizer and o-ring. I cleaned everything up, pushed the o-ring down and tightened it all up when I put it back together. So far no leaks. I'll report back in the morning, but so far no leakage of vaping for the last 2 hrs. It was leaking all over my hands on the eay to work this morning. I don't see any signs of liquid so hopefully it was just loosly put together from the factory and tightening everthing up will have fixed the leak.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Well, I took the base off to access the atomizer and o-ring. I cleaned everything up, pushed the o-ring down and tightened it all up when I put it back together. So far no leaks. I'll report back in the morning, but so far no leakage of vaping for the last 2 hrs. It was leaking all over my hands on the eay to work this morning. I don't see any signs of liquid so hopefully it was just loosly put together from the factory and tightening everthing up will have fixed the leak.
    Great! there sure isn't much else to do with this tank, lol. Really wish that wasn't so and that I could take it apart for a full cleaning.

GL!

TexasOperator

Apr 3, 2018
    So I am curious to those who have used the zenith tank, how tight of a fit does the atomizer have with the body of the tank? Mine is extremely loose and takes very little effort to remove. I can pull it out with one finger nail and when I push it back in there doesn't seak to be any positive feedback that it is making a seal with the o-ring.

TexasOperator

Apr 3, 2018
    So I decided to take the tank off rhe mod and close the air holes. I set the tank in my center consol sitting upright in a paper towel (to absorb any juice). I checked it after 5 and a half hrs and the tank and towel were dry... I vaped it a few minutes, then closed air holes and place the tank back in the paper towel. I'll check it again after lunch and the reinstall it onto the mod and check for leakage.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    So I decided to take the tank off rhe mod and close the air holes. I set the tank in my center consol sitting upright in a paper towel (to absorb any juice). I checked it after 5 and a half hrs and the tank and towel were dry... I vaped it a few minutes, then closed air holes and place the tank back in the paper towel. I'll check it again after lunch and the reinstall it onto the mod and check for leakage.
    Might like to read:
    14 Easy Tips To Fix Your Leaking Clearomiser | E-Cigarette Direct
    As you can see, there are quite a few conditions that can cause your problem.
    Could contact:
    local B&M Vape Shop (Visit) -----Might be simple.
    Vendor who sold it ---see if they will repair or replace or advise (any authorized distributor).
    Manufacturer contact ---see if they will repair or replace or advise.

• Useful
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread