Do you plan to quit someday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
I've got no plans to quit. There is a picture in my mind of the worst possible way to switch.

Meet Susie, one of those prissy people who moans about the evils of her Parliament Lights habit, but is scornful of vaping. She'd rather be independent of nicotine entirely and she doesn't want to be seen as one of those vaping people. But she does not have the strength of will to quit cold-turkey.

When Susie does finally make the switch, following a cancer scare and a dead relative, she buys a gas station cig-alike. She calculates her nicotine levels and fusses about risks and tells everybody that she plans to gradually taper down her usage to zero. But she can't stop dual-using and she's spending as much on refills and emergency cigs as she once did on just smoking, so she decides to try something else.

Susie refuses to allocate a proper equipment budget, since she's on the verge of quitting entirely, so she ends up with a weak-sauce SMOK or Voopoo device that leaks in her purse and gives her never-ending trouble. But she's got her dual-use under control now and is starting to save some money. Next Susie develops a cough and notices a harshness that makes her wonder about allergies and the safety of the liquid, so she orders some expensive organic kosher VG-only snowflake juice. The new juice gunks up her equipment so she begins to stress about dirty coils and formaldehyde.

Susie is now changing her coil head every two days, and now decides to lower her nicotine level and buy some zero-nic juice as well. She is again battling the temptation to dual-use. She is starving herself and just can't get any satisfaction.

vaping for her is a constant source of misery because she went into it kicking and screaming, took a series of half-measures, and invented problems where none need have existed.

The smart way to switch is to recognize that cigarettes are a death sentence paid for at a premium of thousands of dollars per year. Nicotine, on the other hand, is as harmless as caffeine. So allocate a few hundred dollars and invest in some quality equipment up front, and then use it proudly. Consume as much nicotine as it takes to stave off cravings so you'll never be tempted to go back. Once you've conquered the cigarettes you've achieved the goal and there's nothing left to worry about. You are a winner.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Youtube has started an annoying thing for me. After I watch a vaping video (or sometimes during the video) it cuts to a How to quit smoking AND vaping add. No kidding they are including vaping.

In answer to the thread title. Nope not gonna quit.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I never got into vaping with the thought of to eventually to quit vaping. I thought if I could stop smoking that was good enough and have stayed with the same nic as when I started. I dont see myself going through the same worries when I tried quitting smokes and at my age see no reason to stop vaping, so I'm in it till I go. If I was to quit for some reason, I would just stop and not worry about lowering nic, because I believe it would be just as easy tbh. I have tried a couple times to quit , just out of curiosity for 3 days both times and I wasnt a big deal for me even at 24mg, so I know I can do if I wanted, but I dont want to

icepickmaker84

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2019
Indiana
Youtube has started an annoying thing for me. After I watch a vaping video (or sometimes during the video) it cuts to a How to quit smoking AND vaping add. No kidding they are including vaping.

That hasn’t happened to me yet but I post pro vape stuff on fb and every ad I see is anti vaping in one way or another smdh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL

I watched a couple vaping reviews this weekend and didn't get any stop smoking or video ads.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
That’s me. Tried everything, many times over the years. Nothing worked. I did not expect vaping to work either, and hadn’t even planned to try quitting. Just something I could use indoors at home, or where I couldn’t smoke.

I don’t really think about giving it up. I think, for me, staying smoke free is going to be a long term battle, maybe life long.

I do know people who got into vaping thinking they’d quit smoking and eventually quit vaping, too, and a few managed to do it.

So who knows... I don’t think I’ll quit, but never say never.
More than a few that I’ve seen. They don’t show up much because even if they do post here and don’t simply lurk, they don’t stay on as regular posters because they quit and why would they?

In my particular, and I understand somewhat unusual, situation I use nicotine as an anti anxiety medication. If things get banned and the medication becomes effectively unavailable I will quit using nicotine but I will instead have to switch to something else which is inferior to it for my situation. I’m not sure whether this counts as “quitting” or not.

My big worry with this whole mess is that my situation is less unusual than I think. I read somewhere once that up to a third of humans have anxiety problems. What is going to happen to all those people when the medication they use without even recognizing it as such to control it is taken away or switched to something that costs 10 times as much and kills them slowly and horribly?

Haktuspit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Feb 13, 2013
    Denver, CO
    so she orders some expensive organic kosher VG-only snowflake juice.

Haha that's the VG I buy! But it's really cheap actually.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004C7MTLA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I never got into vaping with the thought of to eventually to quit vaping. I thought if I could stop smoking that was good enough and have stayed with the same nic as when I started. I dont see myself going through the same worries when I tried quitting smokes and at my age see no reason to stop vaping, so I'm in it till I go. If I was to quit for some reason, I would just stop and not worry about lowering nic, because I believe it would be just as easy tbh. I have tried a couple times to quit , just out of curiosity for 3 days both times and I wasnt a big deal for me even at 24mg, so I know I can do if I wanted, but I dont want to

I had a very different experience than you. I quit for 5 days and I had all kinds of withdrawal symptoms; shaking, sweats, trouble sleeping.

I've thought about quitting before but after this last round of stocking up it's a distant memory. Who wants to drop a habit they just spent $2,500 to support for a lifetime?

Ricky Vapes

ECF Veteran
    Sep 30, 2019
    I have found I’m more addicted to vaping than I was smoking to be honest. It’s so easy to do indoors or in bed and puff all day at work. I do feel a lot better than I did when smoking a pack a day and I’m sure if I put my mind to it I could quit but I really don’t want to. Mind you when I smoked I was also doing lots of other drugs opioids,coke, crystal etc. So now I vape lots to make up for not shooting up drugs 8 times a day.

When I was in detox last I didn’t need to puff on those little nicotine inhalers like so many others were since we can’t go outside for our whole time in there. I was fine except for the dope sickness but nicotine wasn’t on my mind much. When I got out I went and got a pack of smokes and started back in though. Shortly after I started vaping and smoking. I lowered from 16mg to 3mg but don’t plan on stopping.

vicsch

ECF Veteran
    Jul 20, 2019
    I once quit smoking for a year and a half using the gum and Wellbutrin. Then one fine winter day...out of the blue, I was on the foot of a mountain, hving enjoyed a fine day skiing. While enjoying a beer I saw someone light up a cig. It was my brand of choice, and I caught a whiff of the smoke from that freshly lit cig.

A year and half! and something clicked in my head, I really wanted one. I fought the urge, for a while, but halfway home there I was at the counter of a gas station,,,buying a pack:facepalm::facepalm:

It only took about two weeks before I was back to 2.5 packs a day, so yeah, I plan on keeping the vape close.:toast:
    Don't think I'll ever go back to the nasty cigs...
    Just smelling someone else that is a smoker makes my stomach turn & I wondered I guess I smelt like that too afew times & i never realized how awful it smells til I quit, & i don't miss my mouth tasting awful from smoking...
    I jus' LOVE vaping & the cute devices I have 14 assorted devices from mods to pods to mod pods jus' for myself to enjoy or admire in my curio cabinet !!

Jman8

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 15, 2013
    Wisconsin
    So what's your opinion on that? Do you also plan to keep on vaping or you might quit it in the future?

I plan to keep on vaping and I might quit in the future. LOL, but accurate. I currently do not plan on quitting.

Currently, the only reasons I would see for quitting is inability to get quality products or lack of funds to keep getting necessary products.

Jman8

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 15, 2013
    Wisconsin
    If you can eliminate a habit which is not a life important one, why won't you do it?

Because I enjoy it and it holds benefits for me.

I could see myself enjoy life and not vaping, but the benefits from vaping, I currently know of no earthly way to achieve them, at least that seem as tame as vaping nicotine does, to me.

Jman8

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 15, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Once you're an addict you will always be an addict. Even though someone stopped smoking they will always be a smoker. If an alcoholic stops drinking they will always be an alcoholic and so on. There will always be a calling for any addiction.

I definitely disagree with this. An addict that ceases to use the substance they are addicted to is no longer an addict. They are a recovering addict, with emphasis on recovering. They may slip back into usage and become an addict, but when not using, they are not an addict.

But I do fully recognize this as one of those topics where there are two schools of thought on the matter. I know which one makes most sense to me.

Don29palms

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    I definitely disagree with this. An addict that ceases to use the substance they are addicted to is no longer an addict. They are a recovering addict, with emphasis on recovering. They may slip back into usage and become an addict, but when not using, they are not an addict.

But I do fully recognize this as one of those topics where there are two schools of thought on the matter. I know which one makes most sense to me.
    You just admitted an addict will always be an addict. A recovering addict is still an addict. What is wrong with you?

Reactions: vapdivrr

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    Haha that's the VG I buy! But it's really cheap actually.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004C7MTLA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had a very different experience than you. I quit for 5 days and I had all kinds of withdrawal symptoms; shaking, sweats, trouble sleeping.

I've thought about quitting before but after this last round of stocking up it's a distant memory. Who wants to drop a habit they just spent $2,500 to support for a lifetime?
    Perhaps everyone is different or maybe its because of how long I've been vaping. I feel like cigs are hard because of all the chemicals and after 8 years those are long gone and it's just now about the nic. It's also about daily intake on nic and not really your mg juice. Although I vape 24mg, I dont vape that much and my daily intake is fairly low......

Jman8

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 15, 2013
    Wisconsin
    You just admitted an addict will always be an addict. A recovering addict is still an addict. What is wrong with you?

I literally said the opposite.

I used to be addicted to smoking cigs. I currently smoke cigs (and vape). I am not addicted to smoking cigs. It wouldn't surprise me if you were unable to understand this, given your take on things. But let me know if you do.

A recovering addict from smoking would be an ex-smoker. I'm currently a moderate user.

Don29palms

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    I literally said the opposite.

I used to be addicted to smoking cigs. I currently smoke cigs (and vape). I am not addicted to smoking cigs. It wouldn't surprise me if you were unable to understand this, given your take on things. But let me know if you do.

A recovering addict from smoking would be an ex-smoker. I'm currently a moderate user.
    So you're still addicted to cigarettes. You're obviously not an ex smoker by you're own admission. You're like the heroine addict that is not an addict anymore but still occasionally uses.

Jman8

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 15, 2013
    Wisconsin
    So you're still addicted to cigarettes.

I am not.

You're obviously not an ex smoker by you're own admission. You're like the heroine addict that is not an addict anymore but still occasionally uses.

I'm guessing you are currently incapable of understanding this. But I would ask you if you think all moderate users are addicts, even if they claim they are not?

Don29palms

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    I am not.

I'm guessing you are currently incapable of understanding this. But I would ask you if you think all moderate users are addicts, even if they claim they are not?
    You obviously have no idea what an addict is. No need to reply. You are on ignore.

Jman8

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 15, 2013
    Wisconsin
    You obviously have no idea what an addict is. No need to reply. You are on ignore.

Oh, I'll reply. I would venture to guess I have better understanding of what an addict is than you. But also recognize there are two schools of thought on what makes for addiction, and more importantly what makes for recovery.

Humors me that you had to bow out given your inability to understand the other school of thought. I very much understand both. It really isn't that challenging.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread