Do you plan to quit someday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Oh, I'll reply. I would venture to guess I have better understanding of what an addict is than you. But also recognize there are two schools of thought on what makes for addiction, and more importantly what makes for recovery.

Humors me that you had to bow out given your inability to understand the other school of thought. I very much understand both. It really isn't that challenging.
    :)

vicsch

ECF Veteran
    Jul 20, 2019
    Perhaps everyone is different or maybe its because of how long I've been vaping. I feel like cigs are hard because of all the chemicals and after 8 years those are long gone and it's just now about the nic. It's also about daily intake on nic and not really your mg juice. Although I vape 24mg, I dont vape that much and my daily intake is fairly low......
    It doesn't give u any headaches vaping that high nicotine ???
    I started out with 18mg & after a few months I was getting a headache jus' about everyday...
    Then I went to 12mg. & after 8 months the headaches started again...
    Now I'm on 6mg...
    No problems so far...
    But I sure miss the higher nic but dont miss the headaches...
    I'm jus' curious...
    Or maybe i hit the ole button mo' than most peeps do !!
    I do have a device in every room jus' waiting for me to vape it.
    I'm more addicted to this than I was the nasty cigs...
    But it tastes soooo much better !!

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I loved smoking, especially the first couple in the morning with a coffee. And when I started vaping, it was only to replace smoking for a month or two, until the 3 fractures in my ankle had healed.

Then I discovered I loved vaping as much as smoking. So I kept vaping, even when my ankle was healed. And I absolutely love chain vaping first thing in the morning, with a coffee.

No intentions of quitting vaping - for me, it is one or the other, and I prefer vaping :thumb:

madstabber

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Concoction Creating Cave
    Yea another nicotine fan here with no intentions of quitting. I enjoy the mild stimulants like caffeine and nicotine. The strong stimulants make me edgy and restless. I liked those in my young days when I also liked closing down bars and then taking to party to someone’s house to continue until the birds start chirping. They do that right before the sun starts coming up but I know some of you know what I’m talking about. Ok got sidetracked...what was the question? Oh right, NO, screw that

*RJ*

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 28, 2015
    Vaping since 8/9/2012
    Look, we all have things we can't stop like breathing, sleeping, drinking water, m̶a̶s̶t̶u̶r̶b̶a̶t̶i̶n̶g̶.
    I was always thinking that having less "habits" like that is making you more of a free person. :unsure:
    If you can eliminate a habit which is not a life important one, why won't you do it?
    When this scare of the ban happened and I started stockpiling my son said why don’t you just quit? Such a simple statement with so much common sense for a 19 year old. But he didn’t see my struggles with prior quits. I’ve quit smoking countless times but it never stuck. My longest quit was seven months. Vaping is the only thing that worked. I quit vaping for two weeks recently and once I got past that first week of hell I was fine. But the hand to mouth gets me every time. But alas, I am in the mindset the past few years of improving myself. I quit drinking all forms of alcohol almost four years ago. I quit drinking coffee about a year ago. I was on a health kick for a while and ran half marathons and lifted weights and lived in the gym. I even dabbled in veganism recently but settled on loosey goosey vegetarianism. I try to get my eight hours a night. I’m trying. But I enjoy vaping. It will be even harder to think about quitting now with my vaping hoard. I will always be a work in progress though.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    It doesn't give u any headaches vaping that high nicotine ???
    I started out with 18mg & after a few months I was getting a headache jus' about everyday...
    Then I went to 12mg. & after 8 months the headaches started again...
    Now I'm on 6mg...
    No problems so far...
    But I sure miss the higher nic but dont miss the headaches...
    I'm jus' curious...
    People are different. Some have needed 36 or even 50 to quit and are still using it with no negative effects many years later. Others couldn't even handle 12 initially and like you, needed to taper down. Listen to your body; if it's telling you to use less nic, you probably should do so.

Last edited:

Ricky Vapes

ECF Veteran
    Sep 30, 2019
    It depends on what device and the power you are vaping at too. I know someone who always bad mouths or talks down about high nic vapers who vape 35 mgs or more of salt nicotine. He always says to people in the shop that no smoker should ever need more than 3mg! I smoked 3 packs a day for years and never went over three mgs. I finally had to remind him he hardly took drags off his many cigarettes while working construction and he vapes a 60ml bottle in 2 days of 3mg at a high wattage. I say do the math the person who makes his 30 ml bottle of 35 mg salt nic last a month or longer is probably taking in less nicotine than you. Or when the guy vapes 6mg and takes 10 puffs to get his fix compared to the guy who uses 3mg and takes 20 puffs.

Or when a guy like me is blowing huge clouds of 3mg I shouldn’t be telling the guy who vapes 12mg Mouth to lung that he’s vaping way too high in nicotine.

But I believe your body does tell you when it’s time to lower the nic. Headaches and harshness in the lungs can be one of the signs. That’s why I lowered my nic once I stopped cigarettes completely. Now if I was dripping my old 16 mg freebase on a subohm rda id be causing a coughing fit when before it was what I needed to get a decent fix.

Usually we’ll use higher nic than we were when smoking while transitioning to vaping because vaping doesn’t have the chemicals for faster delivery to the brain and all that fun stuff. But that’s not a big deal because like I said your body usually tells you when you should lower your nic. But everyone is different.

Last edited:

dreamvaper

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 20, 2018
    UK
    Vaping is not just about getting nic, it’s a bunch of enjoyable hobbies.
    Yep, I agree that vaping might be an enjoyable hobby, that's what vaping is for me now.

OP, you stated that vaping was meant to be a means to quit smoking and then to quit vaping. Who said that? I have never heard that in my 10 years of vaping. Harm reduction, yes but aid to quit both

Yes, that was an actual intention from Hon Lik - who made the first cig-a-like vapes and started the modern era of e-cigs. His farther died of lung cancer (he was a 2 packs+/day smoker). These first generation cig-a-like vapes were so bad in quality and the "juice" was almost like a liquid ashtray by it's taste that if you'd be able to quit smoking with them, quitting these e-cigs wasn't much of a deal after, cause they were not enjoyable at all, they were more of a medication to replace cigs and deliver nic to your system.
    Now we have a 5th or even 6th generation of e-cigs on the market, lots of e-juices for every taste there is, the process is much more enjoyable now and most important, companies that invest in making the products on this market don't want vapers to quit vaping, obviously.

You just admitted an addict will always be an addict. A recovering addict is still an addict.
    I'd say it depends on the substance.
    Some things you can quit once and for all and some things you can just stop taking while on a remission. Do you know a her@in addict in a remission (even for years), who will see a loaded syringe on his bad day and will be able to walk by even after all these rehab programs? Maybe 1 in a 1000 will, but rather not.

It reminds me of that experiment with a mouse when the part of it's brain responsible for pleasure was connected to a button and when it push it the impulse was stimulating that part of brain. So this mouse became so addicted, it keep on pushing the button all the time, not even eating/drinking and it died (happily) of dehydration.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Eskie

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
    Jan 24, 2015
    Vienna
    Im not following what you are getting at.

Why would you feel you had to stop drinking coffee or beer if you quit vaping?
    What I´m saying is that I´m totally ok with having some vices (if you want to call it that).
    I dont plan to stop vaping. I also dont plan to stop drinking beer/coffee. I´ll also never prefer eating broccoli over a nice black and blue steak.

I was always thinking that having less "habits" like that is making you more of a free person. :unsure:
    If you can eliminate a habit which is not a life important one, why won't you do it?
    I dont have the feeling that my freedom is restricted by having certain "habbits". Not in the slightest. I enjoy those "habbits". So why exactly should I stop them, if they dont have a negative effect on my life?

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    I’d like to, just dislike being dependent on something. And while it’s a lot better for you than smoking, I still don’t think it’s healthy. It’ll be easier to give up than smokes too. One day.

Nothing wrong with that. We all choose our own paths.

If I had discovered vaping when I was 35 I'd probably have eventually thought about an exit ramp. But at this point in my life an exit ramp makes no sense to get all worked up about.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    Once you're an addict you will always be an addict. Even though someone stopped smoking they will always be a smoker. If an alcoholic stops drinking they will always be an alcoholic and so on. There will always be a calling for any addiction.
    So if I was addicted to cigs and now totally detest them and in no possible way would ever smoke again, am I still a cigarette addict? I wouldn't even consider my self a recovering cig addict because I'm not recovering from them anymore. They are 100 percent gone from me and I dont even think about smoking ,well I do, I think how nasty they smell when I pass by someone who's smoking...I personally think a recovering addict is one who still thinks about it and has the possibility to go back to it and also needs treatment to stay away from it

Psyentist

Oct 11, 2019
    Nothing wrong with that. We all choose our own paths.

If I had discovered vaping when I was 35 I'd probably have eventually thought about an exit ramp. But at this point in my life an exit ramp makes no sense to get all worked up about.

Yeah, that’s true. Age is a massive factor. I’m 37 so got a few years left yet. To be honest I don’t really want to stop for good, never again. Just to not feel like .... when I don’t have it. See what happens.

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    So if I was addicted to cigs and now totally detest them and in no possible way would ever smoke again, am I still a cigarette addict? I wouldn't even consider my self a recovering cig addict because I'm not recovering from them anymore. They are 100 percent gone from me and I dont even think about smoking ,well I do, I think how nasty they smell when I pass by someone who's smoking...I personally think a recovering addict is one who still thinks about it and has the possibility to go back to it and also needs treatment to stay away from it

What would happen if you were to stop vaping? I once stopped smoking for 5 years. Thought I was well past it. I was out with some friends having a drink and thought "well, one cigarette wouldn't hurt after all this time". I was back to a pack and a half the same week.

If an opiate addict is on methadone long term, does that mean they're not "clean"? Medication assisted therapy is a well regarded treatment for opiate addiction. Some need to stay on it indefinitely to reduce the likelihood of relapse. It's better to stay on than to slip back into abuse. For me vaping is essentially the same. I have no doubt based on my past experience if I stopped vaping I'd eventually relapse back to cigarettes, whether in a month or in a few years. We're all different. That's how I am.

dreamvaper

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 20, 2018
    UK
    nice black and blue steak

There was a small fight between 2 groups of white and black teenagers on a bus.
    A bus driver stands up and point on them:
    - look, guys, I don't care what is your skin color, I'm a daltonist and you are all green to me.
    Now, please shut up and relax. Dark green ones sit on the right, light green ones sit on the left and no more fighting on ma bus! :grr:

Reactions: vapdivrr

dreamvaper

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 20, 2018
    UK
    what is the color of this dress?
    white-gold-blue-black-dress.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread