Hard Data involving V4L juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrigaaz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2009
New Mexico, USA
I just recently did some research involving how much juice can go into one V4L carto and decided to post my results. This was because the little 5ml bottles of juice I've been getting always seemed only half full and I was wondering if I was actually getting 5ml. That led to my questioning whether or not the prefilled cartos were actually full as well.

For the sake of these experiments, I used a brand new bottle of Red Cow because I had heard this described as being a 'thick' juice, and also because I had a couple unopened ones still left (ordered lots since I love it so). I also repeated these experiments with straight Glycerin USP (Walmart). I used tap water as my 3rd liquid and for a control.

First I wanted to know whether all 'drops' were the same. I used a 1ml syringe that gives measurements in 1/100th of a ml. I pull 1ml of juice into the syringe and started slowly dripping it back into the bottle to count how many drops I got. The times when I got 29, I got a half drop at the end that wouldn't fall on it's own with gravity, so was slightly less than 1 complete drop.
I did this ten times and got these results:
30 - 29 - 30 - 30 - 29 - 30 - 30 - 30 - 30 - 30
I did the same with water and got these results:
30 - 30 - 30 - 29 - 30 - 30 - 30 - 30 - 30 - 30
I did the same with glycerin and got these results:
29 - 30 - 30 - 30 - 29 - 30 - 29 - 29 - 30 - 29
This led me to the conclusion that even though these liquids were of different thickness, they still made the same size droplet when only assisted by gravity.

Next I had to find out if the droplets that come from the V4L bottle were the same size as the droplets that come from my syringe (since opening size is different). Most of us refill from the bottle, so that's the measurement that we need to refer to when talking about how many drops we refill our cartos with. To do this, I dripped the liquid into my syringe to measure and counted the drops. Because I've already verified that droplets will be the same regardless of the liquid, I did this purely with water as not to waste any more juice (or make a big mess). After carefully dripping into my syringe (not an easy task) and counting the number of drops, this is what I came out with, after 10 times:
25 - 25 - 25 - 25 - 25 - 25 - 25 - 25 - 25 - 25
This shows me that the dropper for the 5ml bottle has a slightly bigger hole than my syringe to allow for bigger droplets. But for all intents and purposes, 25 drops from a 5ml bottle from V4L is exactly 1ml.

We've been told that V4L prefilled cartos have a full 1ml of juice filled by syringe at the factory. If this is the case, all prefilled cartos should have started out with the equivalent of 25 drops from the 5ml bottles. When I refilled a carto, I'm able to easily get 30 drops in by using the 10(spin)10(spin)10 method, and have been able to get 36 drops into a few. I have recently limited myself to only 30 drops to prevent any accidental overfilling and gurgling. When refilling a cart, I wash it and only blow it out by mouth, so there is some residual moisture still left in I'd imagine. What this means is that my REFILLED cartos have MORE juice than the PREFILLED ones do. This is not a complaint against prefilled cartos. I just want to let people know that refilled ones should last just as long as the new ones if filled properly (and refills last the same for me as new ones).

All this started because I was curious if I was getting my full 5ml when the bottles always looked only half full. So.... I pulled exactly 1ml of my juice into the syringe, and squirted it into my empty 5ml bottle, and repeated this 4 more times. I now had a bottle containing exactly 5ml of juice. It only looked half full and when I placed it next to other unopened bottles, the levels were the same.

---------------------------- SUMMARY ------------------------------
For those who couldn't get through my long winded findings.

We are DEFINITELY getting what we paid for through V4L! We are NOT getting cheated on juice or on cartos that we buy from V4L!

YOU CAN refill a cart with the same amount or more juice as was filled from the factory!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your time, and please keep in mind that just because your cart may be a refill, it doesn't mean it's not as good.

Adrenalynn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2009
Sacramento, CA, USA Area
Excellent. Now someone needs to reproduce your results.

Along those lines, how did you address meniscus? Could that account for any of your [admittedly small] margin of error - or the difference between what you observe and what the factory allegedly fills?

See: Meniscus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Where on the crescent were you reading?

Not being critical in any way. It's a good test, and thank you for doing it!

Brew

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2010
WA
Good thoughts but the quality control on the assembly of carts is crap at best. I have 10 carts in front of me know. 6 are uniform. 2 are shorter filling than normal and two are very full of filler to the point I push some down to get a space between the filler and rubber washer. So.......1/8th inch of filler compared to drops is a huge variance.

Go back with a depth gauge and assuming the packing is always in the very bottom, measure the highest portion of packing to rim on 10 empty carts find at least 5 that are very uniform and drip those for the measure totals.

I have also found large loops of wire in some, but those have no bearing on carrying ability of liquid but we can only follow along as far as what comes out of the measured syringe and then into a uniform cart.

Now I have marked my "fuller filler" carts with a dot. I could care less about uniformity since all of them work like clockwork. I did mark those since I can load them with many more drops when I go out of the house on errands, or am out for the day or more days. Then I can grab all the dot carts and load them heavy. To me this is a bonus since the time per cart is of the most importance.

For science a thousandths gram scale could give a good indication of packing mass vs carrying ability= total load.

No offense. just sayin. Good work so far. Keep it up.

Last edited:

Darrigaaz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Being that I was doing this out of curiosity for myself and didn't plan on publishing my finds in any article, I didn't address meniscus. With the thin syringe I was using, that amount of curvature would have made such a miniscule difference that it wouldn't have been made any change in my research (imho).

If I was doing this officially to determine the quality control of the product and my results would have been a defining factor in changes made, I'm sure I'd have done this in a more controlled environment than my office at work. I'd probably also have gotten better equipment to measure with than just using the human eye to determine where the drops filled to.

The purpose of this test was to curb my own skepticism about what I felt like I was getting vs what I was supposed to be getting.

Adrenalynn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2009
Sacramento, CA, USA Area
Believe me - I wasn't trying to be at _all_ critical! Every test has error of some type or another, much of which can be normalized just by understanding where it is. And ultimately keeps some smart alec from saying something silly like "yeah, but over a lifetime of buying cartos..."

Brew - How tightly packed the filler is doesn't necessarily make any measurable difference. The same volume of filler is most likely going to yield the same volume of liquid storage. How completely it vaporizes is open to investigation and experimentation, but I haven't seen any hypothesis presented yet. Are you ready to put one forward?

I've never seen one that is filled to the top of the carto. That would leave little room for gas expansion and that'd be bad for performance. Of course, I haven't seen more than a hundred or so, so I don't have a good sample-set of all carts sold.

SMILIN

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2008
CHITOWN USA
www.vapor4life.com
You will have very soon:D

Steve:cool:

Believe me - I wasn't trying to be at _all_ critical! Every test has error of some type or another, much of which can be normalized just by understanding where it is. And ultimately keeps some smart alec from saying something silly like "yeah, but over a lifetime of buying cartos..."

Brew - How tightly packed the filler is doesn't necessarily make any measurable difference. The same volume of filler is most likely going to yield the same volume of liquid storage. How completely it vaporizes is open to investigation and experimentation, but I haven't seen any hypothesis presented yet. Are you ready to put one forward?

I've never seen one that is filled to the top of the carto. That would leave little room for gas expansion and that'd be bad for performance. Of course, I haven't seen more than a hundred or so, so I don't have a good sample-set of all carts sold.

Mister

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Nanaimo BC Canada
I did the same with water and got these results:
30 - 30 - 30 - 29 - 30 - 30 - 30 - 30 - 30 - 30
I did the same with glycerin and got these results:
29 - 30 - 30 - 30 - 29 - 30 - 29 - 29 - 30 - 29
Was the glycerin you used USP grade pure glycerin? This part of your results surprised me because I've found, with two different droppers so far, pure glycerin to result in less than 1/2 as many drops per ml vs. water due to its higher viscosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread