first death from e-cigs!??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdm1982

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2014
Stephenville,Newfoundland,Canada
so i was on my facebook tonight, and a friend of mine shared this link:

Just returned from our neighbors memorial service. She died of suffocation, the oil from the vapor ciggaretts coated the folliculs in her lungs. The Dr's at Mayo could not remove the oil. She was only 67. Beware of vapor and E-ciggaretts.

it currently has over 1500 shares. my bs alarm is sounding hard, but not knowing the authour of it i didn't feel right msging her to get into particulars.

what do you guys think? more propaganda by the uneducated? or a legit case of e-cigs killing a person?

Last edited:

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI

Just returned from our neighbors memorial service. She died of suffocation, the oil from the vapor ciggaretts coated the folliculs in her lungs. The Dr's at Mayo could not remove the oil. She was only 67. Beware of vapor and E-ciggaretts.

it currently has over 1500 shares. my bs alarm is sounding hard, but not knowing the authour of it i didn't feel right msging her to get into particulars.

what do you guys think? more propaganda by the uneducated? or a legit case of e-cigs killing a person?
Almost no information there. Unsubstantiated claims. I'd say break the link, then see if anything ever comes from it. I highly doubt it.

Last edited by a moderator:

mcol

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 5, 2013
Missouri
Please edit your post and break the link or the mods probably will.
First thought is we don't vape oil, she was probably doing something else.
Maybe the poster just got confused, or the doctors, or she wants attention
or something. This would have been all over the news if true.

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
i call bs. i duno wtf she was vaping to cover lungs in oil but what we vape doesnt do that. Could be the doctor misdiagnosing it and pointing fingers at vaping instead of misuse or negligence. If it was true that 'vaping' caused this oil covering in the lungs and killed people, there would have been many more cases.

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
Giving the doctor shows I watch and seeing doctors in hospitals when I take my dad for his yearly checkups. I'd say most doctors I see are lazy and quick to point the finger at something without researching it. It wasn't a hard post to find on Facebook, I call BS on it as well. Plus you'd think an older person could spell cigarettes. I think one of the replies she did "Her lungs were clear otherwise". It sounds like a clueless doctor and a clueless poster on Facebook that is posting hearsay. Plus being 67 never know, she could've been smoking 40+ years and that could've been the problem. We know doctors aren't quick to blame real cigarettes, but vaping oh no, it's terrible in their mind.

Thinking I may screenshot it and block out her name to share to people at places such as "Not blowing smoke" and the like.

Wow... Just noticed a quote in the second post had the link still :facepalm: that would've saved a couple minutes haha

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I've messaged the woman on facebook, being polite, and simply asking for the name so we can substantiate this and share this disturbing news with the e-cig community. I'm not one of her fb friends though, so who knows if she'll even read my message.

It would be incredibly odd that the first we would hear of this is on facebook, at least a few days later, since this was supposedly after the memorial.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest

first of all the person is barely literate and can't spell at the 3rd grade level. Sorry, just had to say that. :)

Second of all, "vapor cigs" don't have oil.

The only way she could have severely damaged her lungs is if she WAS vaping straight oils.....and I don't know anybody who would actually do that, unless they really had no idea what they were doing, never bought actual ejuice from a vendor, or was making some kind of weird oil concoction in their kitchen.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
No reputable juice has oil in it. No one that I know of has died from oil in juice for the three + years I've been a member of ECF.

We have no real information about this incident other than what was in that Facebook post and that information has zero credibility with me right now. Let's wait for the facts to come in before we jump to conclusions.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Almost no information there. Unsubstantiated claims. I'd say break the link, then see if anything ever comes from it. I highly doubt it.

Please break the link in the quoted post...:)

Total rubbish. Oil and folliculs... :facepalm:

ETA: There are no oils (or there shouldn't be any) in commercial, good quality vjuices. So unless she made her own juice and used oils for flavoring or bought from some unscrupulous and uneducated juice maker who used oils, I don't see how she could have gotten "oil" in her lungs...

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread