Diketones will destroy vaping before they destroys your lungs

Status
Not open for further replies.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
The Eye Dropper used to dispense the Drops yield 24 Drops/ml.
referring to the Cal. reg. thread and the discussion on taxes my program convert.exe
calculates 15.41 drops per ml.
hide that dropper zoiD,some one from California may
be visiting.
:)
mike

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
If somehow vaping moves to unflavored being the norm, I doubt many people would make the switch. It's not like smoking is without flavor, and unless ex-smokers are lying, that flavor in smoking can be quite appealing.

It humors me that when opposition was like, "let's just get rid of flavors, okay." Vapers everywhere were like, "no, no, NO!"

Now many vapers are like, "seriously, why do you/we need flavors anyway?" Combined with something along lines of not having long term data, and we just don't know if it's safe.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
referring to the Cal. reg. thread and the discussion on taxes my program convert.exe
calculates 15.41 drops per ml.
hide that dropper zoiD,some one from California may
be visiting.
mike

Yeah... I can Imagine that CA BOE staffers have frequented this site Many Times.

Reactions: skoony

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
That's why we use ejuice me up software calculator. :) lol hahaha /joke

Your batch is 4ML. For this rough ballpark exercise /lol the amount of PV/VG and NIC level is a non event.
Two drops is 0.08 ML or 2% of the total 4ML batch. Back of napkin, this sounds feasible depending on whose flavor (not combing two finished mixes) you are using

Welcome to the DIY hall of flame/fame

Reactions: zoiDman

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
If somehow vaping moves to unflavored being the norm, I doubt many people would make the switch. It's not like smoking is without flavor, and unless ex-smokers are lying, that flavor in smoking can be quite appealing.

It humors me that when opposition was like, "let's just get rid of flavors, okay." Vapers everywhere were like, "no, no, NO!"

Now many vapers are like, "seriously, why do you/we need flavors anyway?" Combined with something along lines of not having long term data, and we just don't know if it's safe.
Incredibly true.

I've thought about trying some unflavored, just to give it a shot, but this is after 2.5 YEARS of being off of cigs. If my immediate option was flavorless, it would not have carried the same appeal for me. I still rotate through multiple flavors a day, and am always trying new ones. Flavor is a big part of vaping for me.

Of course, I live with a smoker, and as much as I dislike the smell/taste of smoke now, it is no doubt a subtle temptation to me.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
That's why we use ejuice me up software calculator. :) lol hahaha /joke

Your batch is 4ML. For this rough ballpark exercise /lol the amount of PV/VG and NIC level is a non event.
Two drops is 0.08 ML or 2% of the total 4ML batch. Back of napkin, this sounds feasible depending on whose flavor (not combing two finished mixes) you are using

Welcome to the DIY hall of flame/fame

Using a Calculator is Great. But being able to do it Old School with a pencil on a piece of Paper is not without its Merits. See Post #3...

Adding 50mg/ml nicotine to juices already containing nic | E-Cigarette Forum

But all of this kinda gets back to a Fundamental Question.

If there are Chemical Flavorings that have Links to Lung Problems, or if the are Flavorings that are Unknown Effects, isn't reducing the Amount of Intake of these Chemicals a Viable Option if one wants to Reduce His/Her Risk Level?

I'm not saying that Everyone should Switch to Unflavored or HOF. Or that OEMS/Retail should do this or that.

But if a Person takes a 30ml Bottle of Flavored e-Liquid and adds 30ml of Unflavored, haven't they Cut the Amount of Flavoring Chemicals they will inhale in a Day in Half?

Reactions: Rossum

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
No need to pay huge amounts of money for an unflavored mix of your choice. A trusted vendor in the DIY world.

I actually vape this sometimes to clean/recharge my taste buds after way way to much mixing.

For some, a quality mix of unflavored has a delightful and subtle "sweet" tone from the VG.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Using a Calculator is Great. But being able to do it Old School with a pencil on a piece of Paper is not without its Merits. See Post #3...

If there are Chemical Flavorings that have Links to Lung Problems, or if the are Flavorings that are Unknown Effects, isn't reducing the Amount of Intake of these Chemicals a Viable Option if one wants to Reduce His/Her Risk Level?

I'm not saying that Everyone should Switch to Unflavored or HOF. Or that OEMS/Retail should do this or that.

But if a Person takes a 30ml Bottle of Flavored e-Liquid and adds 30ml of Unflavored, haven't they Cut the Amount of Flavoring Chemicals they will inhale in a Day in Half?
I think this gets back to why vaping is such a big deal. As a cessation method it is by far superior to the patch/gum/lozenge, because you have the ability to fully customize. What type of vapor do you want, what flavors do you want, what level of nicotine do you need? Once you've made the switch, you can then further refine your vaping, lowering flavoring and nicotine, if that's what you want, or you can explore all of the flavors and enjoy that aspect.

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville

I completely agree, if you could take a vendor juice with 20% flavoring down to 10 essentially you would be cutting the dose back.My usual mixes consist of a total of 9 - 10 % with three different flavorings, which in a good device represents plenty of flavor.At what point besides going un flavored do you realize vaping diketone free you are still vaping chemicals that could possibly be as bad or worse ?

Moonbogg

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2014
Whittier, CA, USA
I will personally try some unflavored. I haven't tried any yet. There are many benefits to vaping, but there is also good evidence that components within some of our favorite flavorings are responsible for irreversible lung damage. What a shame it would be to reduce the cancer risk almost to zero, no longer have lung tar, no longer smell bad, finally be able to control nicotine levels, and at the end of the day we still end up with COPD or worse lung damage.
If someone vapes diketones at the levels that are contained in some of these juices, I just don't see how lung damage is at all avoidable. It seems like more of a matter of "how long will it take" rather than "will it happen".
If smokers get mild to severe COPD, and if diketones play a roll in that, then vaping more of these chemicals in our juice than we used to get from smoking does not look to be very promising for our harm reduction goals.
Some people say "well this is vaping, so maybe its somehow not harmful to have DA/AP in the juice". If diketones contact your lung tissue, they are causing damage to it. Vaping diketones causes them to contact your lung tissue. It is safe to assume there is damage occurring, and very unsafe to assuming anything else.

I also like the idea of cutting back on flavoring in the same way you cut back on nicotine. That's a good idea. Use the flavorings and strong nice to get you off the smokes, and then taper off to make it even safer as you continue to adjust.

Reactions: Rossum

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
If diketones contact your lung tissue, they are causing damage to it. Vaping diketones causes them to contact your lung tissue. It is safe to assume there is damage occurring, and very unsafe to assuming anything else.
sources please.
thank you and regards
mike

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
Stop it with the word games. Its not helping anyone. Vendors continue to sell it UNTIL it is regulated away from their ability to do so. People will use it as a reason to ban vaping. You think the public will spare vaping from the ban hammer just because "some" e-juice doesn't have these chemicals?

Arrggggghhhhh!!! Quit vaping!

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I think this gets back to why vaping is such a big deal. As a cessation method it is by far superior to the patch/gum/lozenge, because you have the ability to fully customize. What type of vapor do you want, what flavors do you want, what level of nicotine do you need? Once you've made the switch, you can then further refine your vaping, lowering flavoring and nicotine, if that's what you want, or you can explore all of the flavors and enjoy that aspect.

I hear you on all this.

But at some point I think that the "Safety" of the Chemicals in the Flavorings need to be Considered.

I've said for a Long Time that when the Studies are all done, that the Flavorings/Colorants/Sweeteners (IMO) will pose a Much Greater Risk than Nicotine in a PG/VG Solution.

It may be that there are Very Few Flavorings that are considered GRAS for Inhalation in the levels seen in many/most Retail e-Liquids.

I dunno? There just isn't a very large Population of Never-Smoking Vapers who have used the Same Flavored e-Liquid for 5+ Years.

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
I will personally try some unflavored. I haven't tried any yet. There are many benefits to vaping, but there is also good evidence that components within some of our favorite flavorings are responsible for irreversible lung damage. What a shame it would be to reduce the cancer risk almost to zero, no longer have lung tar, no longer smell bad, finally be able to control nicotine levels, and at the end of the day we still end up with COPD or worse lung damage.
If someone vapes diketones at the levels that are contained in some of these juices, I just don't see how lung damage is at all avoidable. It seems like more of a matter of "how long will it take" rather than "will it happen".
If smokers get mild to severe COPD, and if diketones play a roll in that, then vaping more of these chemicals in our juice than we used to get from smoking does not look to be very promising for our harm reduction goals.
Some people say "well this is vaping, so maybe its somehow not harmful to have DA/AP in the juice". If diketones contact your lung tissue, they are causing damage to it. Vaping diketones causes them to contact your lung tissue. It is safe to assume there is damage occurring, and very unsafe to assuming anything else.

I also like the idea of cutting back on flavoring in the same way you cut back on nicotine. That's a good idea. Use the flavorings and strong nice to get you off the smokes, and then taper off to make it even safer as you continue to adjust.
Diacetyl and 2,3-pentanedione exposures associated with cigarette smoking: implications for risk assessment of food and flavoring workers. - PubMed - NCBI

Reactions: man00ver

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... At what point besides going un flavored do you realize vaping diketone free you are still vaping chemicals that could possibly be as bad or worse ?

I'm not sure if I understand your Question?

If you mean when did I start to Look at All Flavoring as possible having problems. That would have been around the time of that Diacetyl was first looked at as a Problem. Around 2011 ~ 2012.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Do your own leg work.
i have and can find no references avering diketones automatically
irreversibly damage the lungs on contact at or below NIOSH's recommended
safety limits. i am unaware of any limits regarding where damage
actually occurs.
i am also unaware of any chemical process where as
molecules of diketones disassociate themselves from being suspended