Not open for further replies.

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
Here's a color I'd like to see....
View attachment 496482

I wonder if digital Camo can be molded like that, it would be pretty hot!

I think that crosses the line a bit. ProVape would most likely use the KISS principle and simply train and test the hamsters on the necessary math. Hamsters which can only count puffs need not apply. They would also most certainly use American hamsters.

You may be right, I am certain they would use USA Hamsters for sure, and train them well.

It's funny, though, out of all of us hoping for a usable power range, I have not heard any of us put down anyone who vapes differently tha us... But those who do sure have a lot to say about not wanting us to have the vape we like. Guess they want us all back on cigarettes.

See, people keep reading these comments in that way... I'll be perfectly clear... I would LOVE for you to have everything your heart desires. But I also know that what you desire doesn't exist at the moment and I keep telling you why. I wish we ALL could be happy. I wish we ALL could get whatever we want.

But I positively HATE the last resort of the displeased vaper... "Guess they want us all back on cigarettes."... Saying that is sanctimonious horse scat... it is completely untrue that I, or anybody else would want you back on cigarettes. I NEVER hope you feel that way from anything I have said.

I keep explaining WHY you can't have what you want, and just because you don't agree with my analysis does NOT mean I want you to start smoking. I don't make fun of the way you vape... I don't make fun of the way ANYBODY vapes.

Posting my opinions in NO WAY is making fun of you. If you take it the wrong way, then you need to examine why you feel I would EVERY want somebody to fail at vaping.

Oh puhleeze. It was all tongue in cheek humor. Ever heard of humor?

Apparently not... some people... yikes.

I don't like wraps, never have. Just my opinion, but they make a mod look cheaper to me. I would much prefer it to be "factory finish"

I'm not a wrap fan either...

Funny isn’t it (or not) how interpretations vary. My reading was that the scenario depicting hamsters was as an amusing possible way to get to 50w (obviously not to be taken seriously) whereas vape360’s comments about donating from radius profits to ‘lab animal rehabilitation’ suggested that maybe hamsters were involved (in the 50 watt sense not the literal)

And yeah, it's pretty obvious the hamster thing was a joke... lots of people found it funny and joined. It wasn't making fun of anybody.

You're right until then let's justify a position we don't know is taken and make fun of people who were willing buyers.... because that's fun. (not you in particular but some of the others including provapes own representative)

I'm done, I'm out, please don't quote this so that I don't get a notification

Yes, you need a hug... it is so obvious now... GROUP HUG!

I respect your knowledge Zen, but in this case I believe you're confusing power at the atomizer with power at the cell. I worked it up on Steam Engine for your review. 3.3V charge left in the cell, with 60W set on the mod will drain ~20A from the cell, depending on efficiency of the mod. I've used ProVapes published 95% efficiency rating for this example.

View attachment 496507

Take me seriously now? :)

Not really... The Steam Engine doesn't take into account anything more than theoretical scenarios. And I have said dozens of times, no good designer will EVER design a device that pulls the CDR from the cell, it's flirting with disaster... and no I didn't confuse the power at the atomizer vs the cell... In the equation posted there was not sufficient data to make the claim that 3.3 @ 20a = 60 watts... and there still isn't based on the figures you posted.

JohnD0406

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I guess 30+ years of working electronics knowledge, patents, and engineering school doesn't make me qualified to speak..but, the OP was not that far off.

Thank you. I refrained from stating my credentials in my reply to Zen, but I am an engineer, have taught 4 levels of electronics classes, and work at a major international company everyone has likely heard of.

Like I've said before, and you said again in your post, it all depends on the efficiency of the device. ProVape happen to be at the higher end of the efficiency scale with the P3; other mods not so much. It's best to put whole numbers into people's minds, especially when it comes to safety, rather than a bunch of odd numbers with decimal points.

Since it's common for many mods (that I've encountered anyway) to have a 3.3V cutoff, and it's very common to have a 20A limit on good cells, 60W is an easy to remember whole number. The numbers are accurate at about 90% efficiency, which is a good number for calculation of unpublished/untested devices.

EDIT: Just ran the numbers - 19.98A @ 91% efficiency, and 20.02A at 90% efficiency.

redrebel821

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2015
Houston area
The real important question is what do Box Mod Vape folks use to keep their mod's held in place while driving? Huh? What? I bought one of these from Provape to keep my P3 safe while not in use in the car. It's been great.

View attachment 496485
I'm turning my old ashtrays into mod holders. Now that I have a box mod, I have to make a new one.

coldgin96

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2012
North of Detroit, way south of Heaven
The real important question is what do Box Mod Vape folks use to keep their mod's held in place while driving? Huh? What? I bought one of these from Provape to keep my P3 safe while not in use in the car. It's been great.

View attachment 496485
You're screwed.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
How's this?

Radius_light_orange.jpg

A touch of black added, please?

JohnD0406

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Not really... The Steam Engine doesn't take into account anything more than theoretical scenarios. And I have said dozens of times, no good designer will EVER design a device that pulls the CDR from the cell, it's flirting with disaster... and no I didn't confuse the power at the atomizer vs the cell... In the equation posted there was not sufficient data to make the claim that 3.3 @ 20a = 60 watts... and there still isn't based on the figures you posted.

Of course not - any good (or even mediocre) electronics engineers wouldn't use any part anywhere near its rating. That doesn't just apply to cells, but also electronic parts - resistors, capacitors, etc., unless you don't want it to last very long (and then we get into a discussion about planed obsolescence).

I never said you SHOULD pull 20A from a 20A cell (max CDR), just that it's not safe to go beyond 60W on a 20A cell, with a 3.3V cutoff voltage. 60W is MAXIMUM, and yes, I agree, you're pushing your luck if you run your battery down too low at that high of a wattage setting.

I stand by the numbers I quoted originally. You can debate safety all day long, but you cannot debate the numbers.

Running your battery down to 3.3V (cutoff), with 60W set on the device, will pull 20A from the cell (at 91% efficiency - there's your missing number - now it's no longer up for debate). ProVape have not released details, let alone specs, for the Radius, so we don't know its efficiency rating or battery cutoff voltage yet. When we do, we can plug in real numbers.

JohnD0406

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah that 8 minute run time might be a problem...

Kinda like the single battery 60 watt mod of mine that broke.

Not for me. I wanna all day vape.

60W isn't for everyone, and I'm not suggesting anyone try it. It is nice to have options though, such as turning down the power to a level you enjoy, while still having it be accurate. That's a problem with many high-power devices - their accuracy leaves a lot to be desired at lower wattages. That's a problem I would expect a ProVape product NOT to have.

gnees

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2014
Zephyrhills Fl.

View attachment 496485

J-Wraps have what you need RB. And you need a new one for your new car, and new mod. :thumbs:

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
Of course not - any good (or even mediocre) electronics engineers wouldn't use any part anywhere near its rating. That doesn't just apply to cells, but also electronic parts - resistors, capacitors, etc., unless you don't want it to last very long (and then we get into a discussion about planed obsolescence).

I never said you SHOULD pull 20A from a 20A cell (max CDR), just that it's not safe to go beyond 60W on a 20A cell, with a 3.3V cutoff voltage. 60W is MAXIMUM, and yes, I agree, you're pushing your luck if you run your battery down too low at that high of a wattage setting.

I stand by the numbers I quoted originally. You can debate safety all day long, but you cannot debate the numbers.

Running your battery down to 3.3V (cutoff), with 60W set on the device, will pull 20A from the cell (at 91% efficiency - there's your missing number - now it's no longer up for debate). ProVape have not released details, let alone specs, for the Radius, so we don't know its efficiency rating or battery cutoff voltage yet. When we do, we can plug in real numbers.

I CAN agree with that... But when you posted numbers without any supporting details, including the most important ones... c'mon now... anybody that read that with half a brain would have called foul... including you, I suspect.

The bottom line is this isn't going to be a 60 or even 50 watt mod... ProVape is more conservative than that, and just because they COULD pull that much power by pushing their (and their customers) limits doesn't mean that even YOU think it's wise or prudent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread