Status
Not open for further replies.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
i once had one of my bank debits cards compromised and the bank was fast and stopped the card (the purchase was for membership to a gym and even my bank lol'd at that).

The problem was i had to go to the bank and withdraw enough cash to last until i got a new debit card. If you hit a week where, as i do, all your bills are due and HRH need a major shop etc - then it's not fun walking around like Rockefeller.
My prepaid card has about $20 on it just now, and if it gets compromised, i still have my other cards. It does charge me an annual fee, but shop around and see what you can get.

i don't link Paypal or Google wallet or anything to my account. i like to get an email of a bill, which i pay.

T

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
All I know is, this is a learning experience for Sloth. And I appreciate everyones input. This really sucks. And is frightening. And it comes at a time where Sloth's credit is the highest it has ever been. and it threatens that fact.

Sloth will learn, and prevail. And ski or bike. Whichever comes first. Point being - screw off, those who wish Sloth harm. You're messin' with the wrong Sloth.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
abbfa68c14f7a82e35fac50bf579d741.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
All I know is, this is a learning experience for Sloth. And I appreciate everyones input. This really sucks. And is frightening. And it comes at a time where Sloth's credit is the highest it has ever been. and it threatens that fact.

Sloth will learn, and prevail. And ski or bike. Whichever comes first. Point being - screw off, those who wish Sloth harm. You're messin' with the wrong Sloth.

If it's any consolation, the fraudulent charges, if resolved (as they appear to have been), will not affect your credit score.

I've had my credit card deets hijacked about 7 times. Never been charged for any of it, no blemish on the credit rating.

Now, I have been inconvenienced by a blocked or cancelled card. Once I was in China on business. Fortunately, I had enough RMB to buy noodles for the rest of the trip - no way to get me a replacement card even though I was there for 2 weeks ("No sir, we do NOT send replacement cards to China").

Also, it is typical for charges to take days to be posted to the card. The outstanding 100+ charges could very well have been from the old card and posted to the new card.

+1 for the idea of a prepaid card for online purchases (at least) and another (prepaid or not) for day to day. Reduces risk.

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.

And just remember: if you mess with Loth, you mess with US!! We got Sloths back. (that ought to scare 'em)

We have a small business and do lots of on-line buying. About once a year, our CC gets compromised and we have to get a new one. A PIA for sure but it absolutely does not mess with our credit scores. I'm actually surprised it doesn't happen more often. Glad it doesn't but surprised nonetheless. Sometimes I imagine what would be possible if hackers used their creative juices for positive instead. Just a thought....

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Sometimes I imagine what would be possible if hackers used their creative juices for positive instead. Just a thought....

To a certain extent, they do. Many, known as 'white hat hackers', test networks and security protocols, including cc information handling, for cracks and weaknesses, which they then either fix or report to the service providers so that they can get them fixed. They're a big reason destructive hacking isn't even more prevalent, making things like amazon, facebook, and paypal viable.

It's a noble discipline, commanding mid six figure salaries in silicon valley, although most do it for free on their own time. It's called 'geekarma'.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Is there a specific malware program you recommend? This is terrifying me.
If our work computer has an issue, it has much bigger ramifications than my own CC.
I use Microsoft Essentials, & the paid vrrsion of Malwarebytes. I had a Trojan virus show up but MSE caught it & cleaned it.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Thanks everybody. I feel better. With @Papa_Lazarou saying it isn't unthinkable for these charges to have been from the old card, and the fact that the lady I spoke with last night told me that is what had happened, I'm much less concerned. I really thought I was staring at either identity theft, or something like it for the new card to get hijacked so quickly and with such little use. I will say too that my CC company has been great to deal with through this and very quick to respond and help (makes sense - it's their money).

I was reading last night that CC companies lose ~50 billion annually due to CC fraud. Wow...

I'll be using prepaid cards more often than not for online transactions from now on. Seems much safer.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Hmmm... a bit slow of late, so here's a random reo pic to pick things up.

yorick.jpg

This bad boy has history with me. It's not the first grand I ever had and it's not the last. It has, however, survived 2 drops from the roof of my house (once with me plummeting along side it), a fall from my pocket while biking down a hill (at ~50km/hr, resulting in a 10m skid on pavement), being lost in the ocean for 4 hours until the tide went out (drinking and fishing do not mix), and a racoon biting it to get at the juice while camping (I crap you not).

I'm wondering how a SVA, Lukkos , or A&M would have faired o_O

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida

View attachment 638431

This bad boy has history with me. It's not the first grand I ever had and it's not the last. It has, however, survived 2 drops from the roof of my house (once with me plummeting along side it), a fall from my pocket while biking down a hill (at ~50km/hr, resulting in a 10m skid on pavement), being lost in the ocean for 4 hours until the tide went out (drinking and fishing do not mix), and a racoon biting it to get at the juice while camping (I crap you not).

A 3D printed box wouldn't have made it. That's for sure!
I love the tip on the O-16.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA

View attachment 638431

Yep, you need to keep that one forever!

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Yep, you need to keep that one forever!

That I do.

He's wearing the skull wrap to hide his battle scars, which look fine on a TRA or wrinkle, IMHO, but look ghastly on a glitter red. It's actually his second wrap as the racoon did a number on the first.

At one point, I thought I'd lost it (just couldn't find it for a week or so) until the cat batted it out from under a couch (she has this unhealthy attraction to the chai juice I run in it).

I maintain that in the (hopefully far) future, aliens will visit a dead earth littered with the crumbled wreckage of human hubris, poke through the rubble, and find a perfectly serviceable reo.

Okay, so maybe they'll have to change the wicks.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
That I do.

He's wearing the skull wrap to hide his battle scars, which look fine on a TRA or wrinkle, IMHO, but look ghastly on a glitter red. It's actually his second wrap as the racoon did a number on the first.

At one point, I thought I'd lost it (just couldn't find it for a week or so) until the cat batted it out from under a couch (she has this unhealthy attraction to the chai juice I run in it).

I maintain that in the (hopefully far) future, aliens will visit a dead earth littered with the crumbled wreckage of human hubris, poke through the rubble, and find a perfectly serviceable reo.

Okay, so maybe they'll have to change the wicks.

I wonder what aliens use for wicks? Their climate may not be suitable for growing cotton; and their technology is probably far beyond needing to produce rayon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread