Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
Do you mean the Sally's? I think I have a global mail stamp around here somewhere. If you PM me your address, I can send you whatever will fit in an envelope. Someone did the same for me once, seems only fair I should pass it on. I liked it so much I bought the big 3lb box; I think I can spare a little, maybe... :)
That's wonderful of you!

Caddy

May 27, 2014
Nodeland, Norway
Do you mean the Sally's? I think I have a global mail stamp around here somewhere. If you PM me your address, I can send you whatever will fit in an envelope. Someone did the same for me once, seems only fair I should pass it on. I liked it so much I bought the big 3lb box; I think I can spare a little, maybe... :)

Thanks for the offer, but i found a dealer over here that had in stock. :)

newyork13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
western Massachusetts
So, @mikepetro was good enough to send me some Rayon to check out. I stuck it into an rta which I keep for NETs, which gunk up coils/wicks fast in my experience. I had been using KGD in the tank.
What an amazing difference. I think the flavor is better, though not overwhelming so. BUT, I can go at least twice as long, and probably three times as long before I need to clean it out. And, maybe my imagination but, with the KGD the flavor began turning from good to ashtray gradually. In other words, I lost the great flavor half way through. With the Rayon, it stayed consistently good until the end, when it suddenly fell into the ashtray. Impressed.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
So, @mikepetro was good enough to send me some Rayon to check out. I stuck it into an RTA which I keep for NETs, which gunk up coils/wicks fast in my experience. I had been using KGD in the tank.
What an amazing difference. I think the flavor is better, though not overwhelming so. BUT, I can go at least twice as long, and probably three times as long before I need to clean it out. And, maybe my imagination but, with the KGD the flavor began turning from good to ashtray gradually. In other words, I lost the great flavor half way through. With the Rayon, it stayed consistently good until the end, when it suddenly fell into the ashtray. Impressed.

Precisely the experience I've had with my diy nets with rayon. I'm getting 30ml between wick changes with rayon vs. 15ml with kgd and the flavor is better to boot.

newyork13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
western Massachusetts
Precisely the experience I've had with my diy nets with rayon. I'm getting 30ml between wick changes with rayon vs. 15ml with kgd and the flavor is better to boot.
Also, I read somewhere not so long ago, that using microcoils with NETs tends to gunk up much faster than spaced coils. So, my experience mentioned in my last post is with microcoils. Who know how much longer I can go with spaced coils? I'll find out when I get over my laziness and stick a new spaced coil in the RTA.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Also, I read somewhere not so long ago, that using microcoils with NETs tends to gunk up much faster than spaced coils. So, my experience mentioned in my last post is with microcoils. Who know how much longer I can go with spaced coils? I'll find out when I get over my laziness and stick a new spaced coil in the RTA.

Yes, when using nets wicking in spaced coils lasts at least twice as long as opposed to contact coils. The dirtier the juice, the more this applies.

Arosama

Jul 18, 2017
I'm kinda new to Rayon wicking and I've had this problem for the last ~5 wick tries... My rayon wick will go brown very fast, maybe after only 3-4 vapes? After that the flavor goes downhill and the brown becomes darker. I'm pretty sure I have thinned the tails enough because I cut about 3/4 density from what I inserted into the coil. Help anyone? I vape at 80-ish watt if that helps.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Two things to watch -

1- Density in the coil. It should be tight, tight enough to hear or feel a squeak as the wick s pulled through the coil. Another way to be sure is if you need to hold the end wraps of the coil to get enough rayon into it. The "double insertion" method is probably the easiest way to make sure you've got enough density.

2 - Make sure the tail do not touch the chimney or sides of the atomizer. That will cause dark, yucky looking, wick tails in a real hurry.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I had to go find this....lol....double insertion method and here is a explanation for those who like me have not heard of this and willing to give it a try in your quest to improve your vape quality. Go to post 6037 and ya it looks like it will work. Again like the brushing the bulk out of rayon tails I have learned again.

Arosama

Jul 18, 2017
This is how mine looks atm, fresh wick. Do you think it's a little too thick? Do I need to trim the tails more?

IMG_20170718_223500_HHT.jpg
IMG_20170718_223436_HHT.jpg
IMG_20170718_223541_HHT.jpg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
This is how mine looks atm, fresh wick. Do you think it's a little too thick? Do I need to trim the tails more?

View attachment 672903 View attachment 672905 View attachment 672907

You have to figure out how much to thin the tail, it all differs from build to build, how thirsty your coil is and coil diameter. Too much tails packed into a well will choke the rayon, again too little and it could leak. You would remove more tail from lets say a 3mmID coil than a 2mmID build or a single wire vs a clapton..its all feel and experience to hit tail thinning right.

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
Those look like one side might be trimmed a little too much, but FWIW it shouldn't matter too much since you're dripping.

Remember you want it dense anywhere there's contact with the coil especially on the ends by the leads and even more so if using tc

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Looking at the center picture, view from the top of both coils, it looks like the tails are against the posts. That will make them darken dramatically. Generally, only a few strands of rayon on the deck itself, with more as they taper up to the coil, will work fine. In the end it will take some experimentation and fine tuning on your part.

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
You can actually get by with not trimming at all, i got my gf a big box of rayon and she used it w/her kf5 for about almost a year before i noticed she was stuffing the tails in without trimming them.

It apparently worked just fine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
You can actually get by with not trimming at all

There could be some confusion between trimming and thinning. Trimming, your cutting and removing usually length of the tails or cutting the sides back to fit into a well. Thinning, your brushing through the tail with something pointy to remove some of the bulk of the tail usually due to a larger diameter coil not so much with a smaller diameter coil. Juice well size has a lot to do with how much to thin out the tails so the wick fits without being packed in tight. Lower power users wouldn't notice wicking being choked as much as a high power user who's demanding a hard fast juice flow.
I don't have a K5 but from looking at pics it has a massive juice well that maybe thinning or trimming isn't required but something like my subtank mini or merlin with a 3.5mmID coil there is way too much tail bulk so thinning is required. I don't use a dripper so I have no real opinion of how they are to be wicked but still should be thinned some for more efficient juice flow to a thirsty build.

Herrick

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2016
There could be some confusion between trimming and thinning.

Yes I was one of the confused ones. I thought thinning meant removing rayon from the tails to make them less bulky. The reason I thought this was the correct method was because of the "use less than you thought was possible" instructions on the first page. This caused leaking & flooding in my EXO RTA. Now I trim the tails a little, stuff them into the juice wells then comb them down a bit. No more leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread