Rayon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marper

Moved On
May 20, 2019
I got some rayon but I don't particularly like it, yes it holds it's shape, it's naturally fluffy and when you twist the ends of the wick it will bounce back to being nice and fluffy however, I am finding that I have to squonk more using it with my recurve, juice retention is not as good as my cottons, it's easy to wick but you can't use big shoulders on your coils like you do with cotton and you have to have the tails perfect or it won't suck the juice, the flavour is clean but I wouldn't say any better than cotton, tried it with my profile unity and it was a nightmare, maybe its just me and I'm used to my cotton, I'll try again sometime

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Rayon is a bit different than cotton. There is a little bit of a learning curve when coming from cotton. Thin the tails a bit more than you would, and use a little more inside the coil. It may feel unnaturally thin, but it works best that way. If you need more juice retention, since the tails are thinner than cotton, you will need longer tails.

I can't go back to cotton now, I can't stand the taste. I find rayon to work much better. Mine wicks very fast.

Just a thought, if you bought the Graham brand make sure it is the 100% rayon version. They also have a cotton version that is packaged pretty much identical to the rayon version.

Marper

Moved On
May 20, 2019
Yes its Graham and I noticed that the cotton and rayon boxes were identical, I made sure I got the rayon, I tried with my unity profile and it did not go well, I have some in my recurve but I'm not actually happy with it as I have to squonk more, as this product naturally shrinks how would it be in my dead rabbit or manta rtas, if I have to thin the tails more than cotton how can I damn the tank and thanks for the reply

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Yes its Graham and I noticed that the cotton and rayon boxes were identical, I made sure I got the rayon, I tried with my unity profile and it did not go well, I have some in my recurve but I'm not actually happy with it as I have to squonk more, as this product naturally shrinks how would it be in my dead rabbit or manta rtas, if I have to thin the tails more than cotton how can I damn the tank and thanks for the reply

With mesh you have to account for that shrinkage – as Rayon shrinks, voids between the mesh and the wick begin to appear. You’ll have to use more than a normal amount of Rayon to account for that shrinkage. I’ve used 2 ropes of Rayon with the Profile RDA with much success. Didn’t really notice the need to squonk more frequently but then again, I wasn’t counting. And the longevity seemed to be on par with cotton (for mesh, not a coil). I recall trying a rope and a half with the Profile Unity which resulted in random dry burns. I suspect 2x ropes would work better but I am fresh out of Rayon.

wetclay

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
UAE
Rayon is more forgiving in a squonker compared to rtas. I wick my squonkers without thinning the tails. Holds more juice and still wicks well.
For mesh, a friend uses a rayon cotton wick; a bottom layer of cotton and a top layer of rayon. Only rayon is in contact with the mesh. As rayon shrinks, cotton expands compensating for rayon's shrinkage.
It's true cotton holds more juice, but with rayon I re-wick less often and my coils last longer.
Although I don't notice a difference in taste, overall I prefer rayon

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Rayon is all I use, either Graham or dm Viskose balls.
You would never get a 300ml run with cotton.
Zoaz0Jwl.jpg

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I don't use tanks, only bottom fed RDAs. It's been over a year since I tried an rta So I can't really help there. I would just cut out a little more than I would with cotton, and give it a shot. Pretty sure that is how I did it with my tanks. I remember thinking it would leak for sure, but never did.

On my RDAs I tend to cut out 25-75% of the tails depending on the RDA. My single coil RDAs, I cut out around 25%. My profiles I use 1½ pieces of rayon and cut out about 75% of the tails. On my dual coil RDAs, I tend to cut out about 50%.

Reactions: kross8

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Rayon is all I use, either Graham or dm Viskose balls.
You would never get a 300ml run with cotton.
Zoaz0Jwl.jpg
I got a 3lb box too. Cost me under $20. My wife, me, and one of my friends all have been using it, and it would out last all of us. You just don't find that kind of value in vape branded cottons.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
For mesh yes, and actually easy to do.
Doesn't work for coils. Tried it. Impossible to avoid cotton touching the coil in such a tiny space, which defeats the purpose of using rayon.

Yes, would be easy to implement with a mesh setup given the amount of needed wick. I just never thought of it, hence why I found it interesting. But I find cotton to last quite some time with mesh, sans any dry burning and how surgery your juice is. I’ve just finished ~450ml of DIY juice with one wick, which was still in good condition but I opted to change wick due to changing flavour. Bourbon tobacco doesn’t go well with Lemon Tart

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
As I say all the time, there is no one thing for everyone. I don't use mesh but even if I did I'm sure I'd be fine but I am a chronic over stuffer anyway.

I have dripped using rayon and it has been just perfectly fine. For me.

But, use what YOU like and don't um, fret about it. Vaping is supposed to be fun so use what is most fun for YOU. Sounds like you gave it a fair chance..

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread