Rayon wick, better flow, flavor, saturation and Nic Hit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    That would be an excellent thing for the top of the new thread, a usage guide for new converts. Possibly some pictures of Rayon wicks in various rta's such at the Lemo, STM, Kayfun4 , Rose V2, Taifun GT & GS II and so on.

You know what they say, a picture is worth a thousand words... :thumbs:
    Agree with you 100%,it would help a lot.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 29, 2012
    Oregon, IL
    That would be an excellent thing for the top of the new thread, a usage guide for new converts. Possibly some pictures of Rayon wicks in various rta's such at the Lemo, STM, Kayfun4 , Rose V2, Taifun GT & GS II and so on.

You know what they say, a picture is worth a thousand words... :thumbs:

Im working on it, the breadth of information is wide as the equator.

I've started a second blog to build the how to and trouble shooting posts.. I'm just dropping info right now will organize later..

Feel free to drop any post you find important in the comments and I'll add it..

Rayon How-to, trouble shooting, and tips.

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blog-entry/rayon-how-to-tips-troubleshooting.7504/unread

can someone point me to the place(s) in this massive thread which shows some effective techniques for wicking with rayon. ie. how to prep/stretch/cut it as you take it out of the box, and then guidelines for amounts to use.

i'm aware that it needs to be quite a tight fit but that's about it. maybe there are some tricks from those who've been using it for a while.

Check the second blog, it will be growing with info to help

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blog-entry/rayon-how-to-tips-troubleshooting.7504/unread

Last edited:

f1vefour

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2013
    Emerald Coast
    Hey 54, I'm thinking about trying rayon again to extend wick life with my nets. A really cool guy here on ecf is pif'n some 28g 430ss to me so I'll be twisting up some here soon. It'll be interesting to compare our wick life with nets.

My current setup is with STminis on Evic VT60's. 24g Ti-g1, 2.78mm id, 6 wrap spaced, wicked with KGD. I am currently getting 20-30ml wick life (depends on net) with tc. That's up about 5ml from my twisted kanthal builds. Hopefully rayon will extend wick life even more.

Meeting up with @Landman tomorrow in Conway. Hoping he will show me the proper wicking density for rayon so I don't have to experiment around so much.

BTW, thanks for pif'n some of your 430ss.

Well unfortunately I had over wicked a bit and had to start over, I had 15ml through it when I got fed up. It was vaping great I just had to pull a primer puff every now and then. I could have easily went another 15ml by looking at the wick when I pulled it.

I under wicked a tad this time, I'm still getting used to the density of these two new NET's I have. I don't know what the PG/VG ratio is and the damn temperature going from 80 in the day to 60 at night is making it difficult to get the wick density just right. After too much and too little I will get it on the next one.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 29, 2012
    Oregon, IL
    Hey 54, I'm thinking about trying rayon again to extend wick life with my nets. A really cool guy here on ecf is pif'n some 28g 430ss to me so I'll be twisting up some here soon. It'll be interesting to compare our wick life with nets.

My current setup is with STminis on Evic VT60's. 24g Ti-g1, 2.78mm id, 6 wrap spaced, wicked with KGD. I am currently getting 20-30ml wick life (depends on net) with tc. That's up about 5ml from my twisted kanthal builds. Hopefully rayon will extend wick life even more.

Meeting up with @Landman tomorrow in Conway. Hoping he will show me the proper wicking density for rayon so I don't have to experiment around so much.

BTW, thanks for pif'n some of your 430ss.

Cigatron, jus do it!

Rayon wicks life is ten times that of cotton.

Ever hear anyone go 275 ml of tobacco juice at high power, flux around 420, and no temperature control with 90%vg in middle of subzero winter too.

A lot of us have done just that and more tbev got up to 300 with his custard juice and squonker at like .1 ohms kanthal. Tchaivie also went 275 with his juice straight VW. And others..

So with temp control think what you could do once you master RaYon.

it will absolutely do what you want.

Well unfortunately I had over wicked a bit and had to start over, I had 15ml through it when I got fed up. It was vaping great I just had to pull a primer puff every now and then. I could have easily went another 15ml by looking at the wick when I pulled it.

I under wicked a tad this time, I'm still getting used to the density of these two new NET's I have. I don't know what the PG/VG ratio is and the damn temperature going from 80 in the day to 60 at night is making it difficult to get the wick density just right. After too much and too little I will get it on the next one.

Hey I belive the density of the main wick should be essentially the same regardless.. At least it seems to me.

What are you putting that in?

In the Midwest I live with this exact sàme thing almost daily. 85 one day 60 the next.. I have never had to change to density of the main wiçk..... Only the amount of juice wicking from the tank and hitting the wick. By adjusting either tank flow or going less vg.

Subzero and -50°f was tough last winter with 90%vg and a tank.. But swapping the FEV to dripper mode solved any problems I was having with the tank at any time, and I never touched the wick.... The wick worked well in the house at 70° too thats why I think the density should be equal for the application.

I would get dry hits mulitple times a day in tank mode as the vg turned to molasses in subzero and didn't come out if the tank.... A quick blow out or soak up of the burnt juice and its was rocking again.

That particular wick went over 200ml with probably over 100 partial and full dry hits. The wick was still fine every time.

Last edited:

f1vefour

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2013
    Emerald Coast
    I can't adjust the juice flow on a Kayfun brother ;)

I have to control the flow with tail density, not wick in coil density. Wick in coil density is always the same, thinner tails for thicker juice and vice versa.

I could however add a bit of VG to the liquid, I just don't want to mute this tasty NET. I may do it anyway.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 29, 2012
    Oregon, IL
    Yes exactly.. Just checking..;) sorry in teaching mode...

You can adjust the tail without rewicking. Obviously you can trim it more... But you can also ADD to the tail on the deck if needed. A small tuft of rayon will paste itself right where you need it and stay there for ever. Rayon Sticks to rayon like glue if mated with one piece dry. But you should be able to remove the extra piece with tweezers too if needed.

An update on the SS 3:40... I haven't had a vape this good since I used kanthal this is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now TC gives me the satisfaction of VW.

Last edited:

f1vefour

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2013
    Emerald Coast
    Yes exactly.. Just checking..;) sorry in teaching mode...

You can adjust the tail without rewicking. Obviously you can trim it more... But you can also ADD to the tail on the deck if needed. A small tuft of rayon will paste itself right where you need it and stay there for ever. Rayon Sticks to rayon like glue if mated with one piece dry.

Now this I never tried, thanks for the suggestion. I will add a small tuft against the sides of the juice channel wall and see how it goes, tank is almost empty.

cindycated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 19, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I can't adjust the juice flow on a Kayfun brother ;)
    You kinda can, by not screwing the chimney all the way down. If you make sure the o-ring at the top cap holds it securely, you can then have easy access to your build (without having to empty the tank) or easy bottom fill by simply flipping the atty and unscrewing the base - the chimney stays in the tank. Those drip tip plugs that come with bell caps at FT come in really handy, but I've done this a bunch of times without it too.

Yeah, I got confused with the over/under wicking too. :blink: To me that clicks as referring to coil density, not the tails. Nailing the tail density is one of the things I hate most about the KF. Another was the fill screw and tiny hole, but I never fill that way anymore - I just screw the whole bottom off.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 29, 2012
    Oregon, IL
    Also if you want to increase your coil longevity get a different tank.. The kf is a notorious gunker. Small chamber, lots of retained heat, and low air flow.. Though I guess newer versions are better.

Also twisted is heavier wire which means more mass, more retained heat, which continues to cook your juice after the draw like a frying pan - causing gunk due to coil.

To reach 60-80ml with net or bobas in a kf, like @BNEAT its possible but you have to have everything balanced. Same goes for any atty and juice to reach the 200ml+ level.

You need just the right coil, Air/ heat balance, appropiate temp for juice, low heat retention coil, and also over draw the coil a second or two to cool it... Especially if you will be using twisted 28.

Last edited:

cindycated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 19, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    It's a shame that so many atties have that same type of setup - I think I'm gonna search out atties that have this kind of deck:
    maxresdefault.jpg

Just a little tricky, as I only use RTAs and not many come with it (they're mostly KF or Orchid-based).

f1vefour

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2013
    Emerald Coast
    I'm single strand SS430 in the Kayfun, vaping around 420/430F @ 15+- watts.

I just love the tank, I have the bellcap which increases flavor and it is just the perfect tank for NET's to me. I have a Zephyrus which is not good for low wattage vaping since it has no single coil option.

@cindycated
    There is no way to leave the chimney loose, the top chimney o-ring is so tight it screws the chimney down as I screw on the bellcap. I tried it once. I appreciate the suggestion though. *edit* I misunderstood you, yes this is possible but I have the plug.

This liquid is just new to me and I don't know the PG/VG ratio, I know exactly how much tail I need now (%45), I was originally at %80 and am currently at %20. I will just rewick since I want to really see how far I can get in TC with a 7.5 on the gunk scale NET (1 is clean, 10 is dirty).

I am always on the lookout for tanks, I can't use long ones because if it won't fit in my holster without sticking out I hit it on stuff throughout the day. Hard enough to break the tank, and I can't do metal section tanks because I need to see my juice level. I may try the UD Bellus next, or perhaps a Goblin Mini.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 21, 2015
    Arkansas Ozarks

I just love the tank, I have the bellcap which increases flavor and it is just the perfect tank for NET's to me. I have a Zephyrus which is not good for low wattage vaping since it has no single coil option.

@cindycated
    There is no way to leave the chimney loose, the top chimney o-ring is so tight it screws the chimney down as I screw on the bellcap. I tried it once. I appreciate the suggestion though. *edit* I misunderstood you, yes this is possible but I have the plug.

This liquid is just new to me and I don't know the PG/VG ratio, I know exactly how much tail I need now (%45), I was originally at %80 and am currently at %20. I will just rewick since I want to really see how far I can get in TC with a 7.5 on the gunk scale NET (1 is clean, 10 is dirty).

I am always on the lookout for tanks, I can't use long ones because if it won't fit in my holster without sticking out I hit it on stuff throughout the day. Hard enough to break the tank, and I can't do metal section tanks because I need to see my juice level. I may try the UD Bellus next, or perhaps a Goblin Mini.
    Goblin Mini is very nice, and short. You could put a vape band on it and, I think, be pretty safe. Wicking is vital on it, though, as the air holes are right on the mod. And, it has that isolator so you can do single coil builds.

However, the Zephyrus could easily be a MTL tank... build a 32 gauge kanthal, 7 spaced wrap on 2.5 mm dual... should come in around 1.5 Ohms. Choke the air way down, use a smaller drip tip. I love my Zephyrus... and my Goblin Mini, and the Goliath V2... hmmmm... UD...

cindycated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 19, 2011
    San Francisco, CA

@cindycated

Haven't used my KFL in awhile, but I think I just usually put the chimney into the tank just a hair higher up, then screw the whole tank/chimney assembly onto the base. Been doing this for years and it's worked flawlessly. Really nice having access to the deck without having to empty it out - but would be even nicer if I didn't have to fiddle with it so much. :laugh: That's why I haven't used it in awhile.

f1vefour

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2013
    Emerald Coast
    Even with the airflow shut all the way the Zephyrus is still a bit too loose for my liking for MTL. I didn't buy it for MTL, it's awesome for lung hitting.

The height is at the top end on the Zephyrus, anything taller is too tall for my liking. If the Goliath II had been out I would have went with it. Will the single coil plug fit the Zephyrus? I don't understand why UD hasn't releases one for it.

I may just grab a Goblin Mini clone to test if I like it, those airflow holes on the bottom is a huge turnoff though. If it leaks it's going directly in the top of the mod.

I'm looking hard at the Bellus. These manufacturers need to understand there are plenty of us who vape MTL and full on high power lung hitting.

I'm happy with the Kayfun and will continue to use it likely even when when I find something that fits my needs better.

I would try the FlashE but man that thing is a monster.

Kingboomer

ECF Veteran
    Oct 19, 2013
    Commerce City, CO
    OK DOGGONIT!!! Just FINALLY got this build and wicking right. I went with 7 wraps 28ga kanthal, 2.5mm I.D for 1 ohm. I was gonna start the other day but lost one of those :-x screws for the air hole plug, and spares are at work. Long story short it's built, wicking to my liking, hitting beautifully and ready for the long haul. I'll let you guys know when 100ml goes thru it. Oh and since it was being a PITA I decided to break out some of my dark apple v3 to christen it :D

-Kingboomer

Thayamax

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 7, 2013
    Southeast Michigan
    I checked with admin and was told we need to start another thread after 15,000 posts. There are a few exceptions to that rule such as ECF giveaways, but we aren't one of them. Sometimes a thread goes over the limit, but then you risk a mod stepping in and closing it without warning when they notice it's over limit.

PS. I just tried the SS wick I got from Unkamen yesterday. So far I love it in TC mode! Great clouds and flavor. :)

f1vefour

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2013
    Emerald Coast
    Rewicked, it wasn't tail density. The wick got twisted when I screwed the chimney on and had too much deck showing, causing it to get gurgly.

Stainless steel, TC, NET take three...this one is going for the duration regardless.

Coil: 2.4mm - 8/7 wrap - 0.74 ohm (SS430)
    Device: Reliant - TCR 13 - 430F - 18W
    Eliquid: Rocky Bottom Fog Sauce - Porch Rocker or St James Parish
    Atomizer: Kayfun (R91 Styled airflow)
    Wick: Sally's Rayon

Will post final results in new thread.

IML8

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 12, 2014
    Oklahoma
    I checked with admin and was told we need to start another thread after 15,000 posts. There are a few exceptions to that rule such as ECF giveaways, but we aren't one of them. Sometimes a thread goes over the limit, but then you risk a mod stepping in and closing it without warning when they notice it's over limit.

PS. I just tried the SS wick I got from Unkamen yesterday. So far I love it in TC mode! Great clouds and flavor. :)
    That's only one more page of comments here. Is there a new thread yet? We should load up the next 20 posts with important links to the new thread, Jeremy's blog, etc.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread