Lounge Lizards / Misfits / Free Thinkers / Bohemians & the Forgotten :: Young at Heart Only

yiddleboge6

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2012
PA
@Janet H ...Thank you for the reference to "Miramont's Ghost"...:) I won't go into a long story about why it takes me all night to do my laundry..;) but I'm exhausted and going to bed with this book. I started reading it before I went to sleep this morning, and am enjoying it. Hoping I don't get so enthralled with it that I end up staying awake all night again....:unsure:

MbAVkfoGXSlX2yFqeHoFhk2s-ujvkLMwK_uRN2EsKi_pUJL5sGm43L7PO2deXRg2_NFSAnQeYTilMn-95fQgL7Lv_dJKUzL5Q4VYGX7GDf-SmKavBL3M51Hyh9tQwI0_oTRsITu-bQvMHgYSwvVPHlS9CAJ0n5PAfm_bpN68lv72sKHJYcKmSzyybwspEdRjjLSolj_oHx70Z3VbIN5zuRL2j4ddpLzViWNf1zKZIS5fKWaqVf_OZyttUJoyi39EQc8dWnNRbqTuq9ZS6IGeOvaCxaV319Vk3NlEM-9W_XDv61AILbHhQxz6S9f00R9EnbFPKps_V4UdkFWF5eyPUUgURoLbKRMsdKuNo4RgedR6nu6ke-yLGvWlqI1MuMqgN_D7Ug5BWjSAdlEncqFmCmWfBiSZH-WcozQ-WK5UPwwUCdBRHPSu3o2iZZu5bkIpAJ6y-6C2jyl7xLdF9b8FwlEd0vdFGLK6vuHOzzJznZ5bKCZuXpKaVPh8A-Xglrb8y59gfVkAILJIhwv33_FcHsO7tl3Z8KitiJxXoMQbGfnU6q-dw4kbn3HUpLcRRMVx30mUQ3XdwjQRckFlhu2YccC-C0aryMlYEb7pxhc5OA=w400-h307-no

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
"13 Reasons" on Netflix is, IMO, based on Social Media allowing shaming and other forms of pressure, especially as it relates to kids in High School .. while we've had various things of this type going on forever, the Modern Age has enabled it to be taken to a whole other level .. many kids being relatively cruel anyway, Social Media gives them a platform that's unprecedented .. a bit tough to watch unfold, yet eye opening for an oldster like me ..
There have always been bullies. But, our modern world doesn't know what to do about it. Bullies can get away with so much more now. Some of the stuff they do should be criminally prosecuted.
I can't honestly remember hearing my own Mother tell me she loved me .. and, that's just nothing if not a sad commentary .. I was not liberal in telling past Wives that I loved them, and most sadly, my own son, may he Rest in Peace ..
I had the opposite reaction. People tend to either copy how their parents treated them or to do the opposite. I did the opposite. Because I never felt loved, respected, or even seen for who I really was, the most important thing to me when raising my children was to make sure they knew they were loved, respected, and truly seen.
Uncle Willie said:
I will also freely admit that it hurt me for a time, when some of the folks from the Thread I was a participant in did not drop in here and at least say Hello or Good Luck
It kinda hurt my feelings that no one told me about this thread. If I hadn't stumbled into it by accident, I never would have known it existed.
Uncle Willie said:
At any rate .. "Family Isn't Always Blood" .. as we continue to gather around the Digital Campfire, it still means a lot to me .. and I appreciate all of you that put up with the ramblings of an old fool .. as Time draws us closer to another Winter, my thoughts travel back to Seasons long gone ..

Do I love you .. ?? Well, if it's not Love, it's the closest thing I have to it .. and, that's about all I can offer
I have a hard time expressing emotion, especially love, to anyone but children. I also don't express myself well at all. I have a hard time finding the words. A very hard time.

I tend to communicate more by touch than with words.

When I'm feeling the most alone, I withdraw. So, obviously I'm not very good at participating in threads and keeping things moving.

I'm sorry for that. But, I do appreciate being welcome here in spite of it.

You are loved, Uncle Willie.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
Willie, I am glad you started your own thread. I thought you were not comfortable over "there" anymore because you were so scarce. It was becoming very different than what Tex started. I came late to the party but had lurked on an off even back then. I didn't know all the founders, but I know who they were and what they stood for in the group.

I am glad I found your thread. I am honored to be your friend and I care. We will be driving through St Louis in April 2018 because the Belgian Tervuren National Specialty will be at Purina Farms near by. I won't ask to meet up, although that would be grand, but I will once again wave and yell "Hi Willie!". I love your posts, music and rambling (meant affectionately). I also cherish those that followed you here.

Family isn't always blood, but just as valuable and meaningful. :wub:

Ah Willie!! Please do not refer to yourself as an "old fool" :( I'll choose to use such adjectives as ...thoughtful....considerate...sensitive....and caring...;) Our friendship began way back in the beginning of that other "thread" and has only continued to grow....

DnMvsYdlZJ7V88cTNyRxIEhvH-uGAZPLwBW0_wR-ZnGFsBxG_mszx2px36cQ4lSJ3KJo8Kz_Do4XLnxP7OHE694wWt1WU3LHVlq535eAkbrUNDKcYEJu9FHgOfETA7721wC3rnqebouH_rGH6PXL0ojhZIzKEKnUj0XJQ2L39Fy08aDtdABUh88Rpy0IwnxiviBVxiGwGAeuZCT76k4cMIFggrteu-2NC7T7bW-UvgYTUut_iaa-1iCNenp9XuKo4tPlM4cSR_rbYayOosHHnuMlESZC6UqRtTNuTAxi6grPUXgmtHzhSGfusv56ryL8yBXwQvIfn3fLPMxI0YnTeitLFXrZudeZji51fbr6LD2LqFQ7AM_M8iktO8cHX4YzNOBgdkfnbB5JaNZivB-WHOR4r5OoF4uuRZ6Yi2Emp8dTaHS50uCTzSq-kwh3bfvwY6OT8NwaM3H9SOxwcpZ99YI2-reXzHuZ6NTSHRxu06JigbNfkfT740WAsJw63LPfJEWyJoQL5N-zzvlJP9JOvLSf7QzCzbqJHDQMq6E31kiZQcsdRb-H30LwNWeinWZ3BTj3ncMP4prU-rCpRxni97phcVsBh0TyNbh3gH9rLQ=w545-h742-no

I think you know....

Hsy6WuRo1iIGfjwwBkBU9EU5P407yAJqE5HHAVNN2NjrCgQMgYJa4Borzb8DLAczvKIXVuvL8LEgkLJFDF-wJsYDZ22LslYBDDpBD0Y0juV6VmGiSuUSG8FbA0M4JKytXtjTwky4hc6oX_7DnOdPygveZH4UhTmT6vnbb5WAoCk1zjSQsD9gHC221lUMRHT8QH2UKz3GKEj327oS3C2ugObHdXaZsGSOOQMLFNhcItgddpMk9lHanmfQseI4L0S5c-YcuCoEuyIEL2YIbMzZ-Ix3qeSGPyC9tMmJ1QPzZ5LIQZHHIaKLMoBGXfElE_-Ig8kAwGpU_D-VtDeHlP0LSkvnD6mYdTwGCgH6-xDtC-w9nWpvGp6m-_SnB-bhsLDVEyzVgK9Aj2csCde4wbXbdYDX31VZ1sly24_x9DUQscXVEptPEKA_lDsfCSG1gRJC4j3jDzLyInnqJdz04M5nVH4MKo9x_ASTzcMsmeAX1OupJAVUEetXeF3618RhvaZpYqDaXyEpmCW9Gl4rhS4DZfDqSROYTdXm1vcVM40Au7HbukB2TQOIayLAbMD26k-X30tq68h3qwq_M3A0Y8qty1UnMEkeymxcybEZrsrO9g=w620-h400-no

Haven't noticed any ramblings, but years ago I did own a Rambler, so maybe it's all just too familiar to my experience to notice.

I have noticed a lot of pensive, thoughtful posts, however. View attachment 694637

There have always been bullies. But, our modern world doesn't know what to do about it. Bullies can get away with so much more now. Some of the stuff they do should be criminally prosecuted.

I had the opposite reaction. People tend to either copy how their parents treated them or to do the opposite. I did the opposite. Because I never felt loved, respected, or even seen for who I really was, the most important thing to me when raising my children was to make sure they knew they were loved, respected, and truly seen.

It kinda hurt my feelings that no one told me about this thread. If I hadn't stumbled into it by accident, I never would have known it existed.

I have a hard time expressing emotion, especially love, to anyone but children. I also don't express myself well at all. I have a hard time finding the words. A very hard time.

I tend to communicate more by touch than with words.

When I'm feeling the most alone, I withdraw. So, obviously I'm not very good at participating in threads and keeping things moving.

I'm sorry for that. But, I do appreciate being welcome here in spite of it.

You are loved, Uncle Willie.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Uncle Willie, thank you for starting this thread. I would have been heart-broken if you had just disappeared from ECF! You are loved!

T :: I appreciate the sentiment more than you know .. and, I purposely did not attempt to draw folks in when I left the other Thread and started this one .. it was no slam on anyone, I just decided I would let a "Simple Twist of Fate" bring people over if Mr Fate decided to ..

I don't know what prompted my Post yesterday other than the Maya Angelou quote and a bout of self-reflection ..

Sometimes, the words just take over and the next thing you know, I'm clicking reply .. I know I can sound maudlin sometimes .. even when I'm sober .. ;) ..

Thanks to all of you for your sentiments .. :)

95cb758eea8b02d6cdd009633b68f1e1--watercolor-heart-watercolor-flowers.jpg

Flowersoul

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2009
NE Florida
Good morning everyone

Listen to Mama. That's what I told hubby this morning when he wanted to go and try riding his bike to play tennis. His reply was 'I'm not going to sit on the sofa and be a smudge'. (whatever a smudge is).

Fortunately we did have a doctor's appointment earlier this morning and I asked her if his activity level should be limited until after his testing is done.

Absolutely she said, unless of course you want a visit to the emergency ward!! Curtail all your activities until your testing is done and we have a better idea of what is going on.

Hubby was feeling a lot better in the past few days so he thought he could resume all his regular activities such as tennis, riding his bike, etc.
So now, looks like he will be sitting on the sofa like a smudge for a while.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Good morning everyone

Listen to Mama. That's what I told hubby this morning when he wanted to go and try riding his bike to play tennis. His reply was 'I'm not going to sit on the sofa and be a smudge'. (whatever a smudge is).

Fortunately we did have a doctor's appointment earlier this morning and I asked her if his activity level should be limited until after his testing is done.

Absolutely she said, unless of course you want a visit to the emergency ward!! Curtail all your activities until your testing is done and we have a better idea of what is going on.

Hubby was feeling a lot better in the past few days so he thought he could resume all his regular activities such as tennis, riding his bike, etc.

Perhaps smudging is good for him now ...

1a7a12ec01c9d295b82fd0eb824a8be0.jpg

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
I wanted to add a comment to my previous Music post as it relates to Richard Manuel singing "I Shall be Released" .. it's a great Dylan song, it's been covered extensively, yet Manuel remains, for me anyway, the cornerstone of it's interpretation .. he sings with such longing and passion, it's beautiful to hear ..

Richard Manuel - Wikipedia

clnire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
Florida
Good morning everyone

Perhaps a smudge is like a "bump on a log".. :confused:

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Many of you likely already know that I am a Reader .. I cannot go to sleep at night without spending some time with a book .. I've been that way since I was a child, although it was particularly tough when I was in the Military to keep up that routine .. ;) .. I've been boxing up some books for donation purposes over the last week or so, and, as I went, decided to keep a running list of material .. so, for gits and shins, here is what I consider the greatest Horror / Supernatural books I've ever read .. sorted by year .. I am not donating all of these, and the most chilling out of them all was "Song of Kali" .. feel free to contribute any of your own favorites, I am always on the scout for new material ..

I don't read much of any Horror anymore, the last one I read being "Under the Dome" by King (I don't know if I'd call it Horror or Sci Fi) .. it did not make the list .. ;)

1. Twice-Told Tales by Nathaniel Hawthorne (1842)
2. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte (1847)
3. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving (1849)
4. Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu (1871-1872)
5. Can Such Things Be? by Ambrose Bierce (1893)
6. The Great God Pan by Arthur Machen (1894)
7.. The King in Yellow by Robert W. Chambers (1895)
8. Dracula by Bram Stoker (1897)
9. The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (1898)
10. The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells (1898)
11. The White People by Arthur Machen (1904)
12. The House on the Borderland by William Hope Hodgson (1908)
13. Tales of Mystery and Imagination by Edgar Allan Poe (1908)
14. The Dunwich Horror and Others by H.P. Lovecraft (1963)
15. At the Mountains of Madness by H.P. Lovecraft (1964)
16. Best Ghost Stories of Algernon Blackwood by Algernon Blackwood (1973)
17. I Am Legend by Richard Matheson (1954)
18. The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (1959)
19. Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (1962)
20. Worse Things Waiting by Manly Wade Wellman (1973)
21. Deathbird Stories: A Pantheon of Modern Gods by Harlan Ellison (1975)
22. Interview With the Vampire by Anne Rice (1976)
23. Ghost Story by Peter Straub (1979)
24. The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories by Angela Carter (1979)
25. Pet Sematary by Stephen King (1983)
26. The Books of Blood (Volumes 1-3) by Clive Barker (1984)
27. Dark Gods by Ted Klein (1985)
28. Song of Kali by Dan Simmons (1985)
29. Ancient Images by Ramsey Campbell (1989)
30. The Nightmare Factory by Thomas Ligotti (1996)
31. House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski (2000)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread