18650 Battery caught on fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

gemini2281

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2010
Walnut Ridge, Arkansas
So I ordered an E-Power 18650 kit and got it in yesterday. As soon as it came in I threw the second battery in the kit on the charger and started vaping with the battery that was already in the PV. When the second battery was showing it was charged I swapped batteries. As soon as I put the other battery in the charger it immediately began to smoke from the negative end and the blue casing quickly flamed up. I snatched it out of the charger before it could completely burn up.

I triple checked that I had the terminals in the correct direction before I put it on the charger. This is my first replaceable battery PV so I was a bit paranoid about messing something up. I'm including a picture of the battery after the little mishap. This was the battery and charger that came with the kit. The battery is labeled "smok 18650 2200mAh YBT DL".

Has anyone else had this issue?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 350

K24A3

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2010
Aus
It must have been a manufacturing defect. Usually they catch these bad batteries in the factory, but the odd one gets through now and then.

At least it wasn't too bad, I've seen much worse.

What brand of battery was it? If SMOK is the brand, sounds like it a cheapo.

Have you put the first battery in the charger? It's possible that the charger is not compatible.

gemini2281

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2010
Walnut Ridge, Arkansas
All it says as far as branding is SMOK so I assumed SmokTech, maybe?

What is odd is that the battery worked fine in the PV. But as soon as I put it on the charger... Yeah.

It must have been a manufacturing defect. Usually they catch these bad batteries in the factory, but the odd one gets through now and then.

At least it wasn't too bad, I've seen much worse.

What brand of battery was it?

gemini2281

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2010
Walnut Ridge, Arkansas
No joke. I'm glad it flared up as soon as I put it on. If it had happened later it could have been much worse. I admit, I was a bit paranoid when I put the other battery on the charger for the night. I sat there and stared at it for 5 minutes just waiting for it to burn. haha

wow imagine charging it while you're out your house.

Valsacar

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2010
Seoul
I had an 18490 go on me yesterday... and it HURT.

I had it in my pocket (always keep a spare, just in case), which I've been doing for over 6 months. I had a small keychain in my pocket, it happened to hit it just right. Still not sure how, as the chain is no wear near long enough to hit both ends, it was just on the bottom.

Felt this strange, warm, tingling in my leg. Reached in my pocket... HUGE shock and burning, quickly pulled my hand back out. Dumped my pocket quickly battery end looked almost like yours. 2nd degree electrical burn on my finger, hole in my pocket, and the plastic around one of my keys melted. Bottom of my Provari (was also in the pocket) has plastic melted to it now.

Needless to say I don't put my keychain (or anything) in the same pocket as the battery now.

gemini2281

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2010
Walnut Ridge, Arkansas
Will do. What is a good place to order those from? I don't see that brand on MadVapes. They have TrustFire and UltraFire.

I suggest you grab some decent batteries for peace of mind. The AW brand are well established and worth the extra cost. Plus they perform better all round.

K24A3

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2010
Aus
Will do. What is a good place to order those from? I don't see that brand on MadVapes. They have TrustFire and UltraFire.

I've used Trustfire and Ultrafire batteries, they do the job but they don't perform that great. I found that a small 14500(AA) AW battery actually lasts longer than a considerably larger 17650 Ultrafire.

18650 AW seem to be common, do a google search for "AW 18650" in your area and you should easily find a supplier close by. They are popular batteries in Torches.

nocturn4l3030

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2011
South Bay, CA
I had an 18490 go on me yesterday... and it HURT.

I had it in my pocket (always keep a spare, just in case), which I've been doing for over 6 months. I had a small keychain in my pocket, it happened to hit it just right. Still not sure how, as the chain is no wear near long enough to hit both ends, it was just on the bottom.

Felt this strange, warm, tingling in my leg. Reached in my pocket... HUGE shock and burning, quickly pulled my hand back out. Dumped my pocket quickly battery end looked almost like yours. 2nd degree electrical burn on my finger, hole in my pocket, and the plastic around one of my keys melted. Bottom of my Provari (was also in the pocket) has plastic melted to it now.

Needless to say I don't put my keychain (or anything) in the same pocket as the battery now.

wow..i think you might want to look into getting a battery case if youre going to carry it in your pocket. sorry to hear all that

gemini2281

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2010
Walnut Ridge, Arkansas
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I will see what I can find.

I've used Trustfire and Ultrafire batteries, they do the job but they don't perform that great. I found that a small 14500(AA) AW battery actually lasts longer than a considerably larger 17650 Ultrafire.

18650 AW seem to be common, do a google search for "AW 18650" in your area and you should easily find a supplier close by. They are popular batteries in Torches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread