istick pico and nautilus 2 S, options and alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

virm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2019
Greetings to all

Having quit cigs, I am alternating With Jf Minifit*20mg Nicsalt for outside and nic craving, and Aspire K4*3mg regNic at home, because as it leaks and, at just over 12cm, too big, annoying for pocket. K4 is great to vape and at length with low nic, since I do sometimes just need to keep puffing, and I am worried about how much I use the minifit with the 20.

I am hoping y'all'll be able to advise and help. The following is a rather stretched permutation of a similar thread (with older gear and less details):
Will the Aspire nautilus fit the istick Pico?

Looking now to have something with the (1)dual function, to gradually lower the nicotine while shifting the settings to keep things cofortable and satisfying. In other words, I am seeking to have something that can do both 20mg Nicsalt and Subohm.
(2)Size (averse to large devices) and (2)leakage are priorities. So is (4)ease of filling and coil replacement. In addition, if possible, I would like to exclusively (5?)keep with salts (even as I lower the nic).

The boys at the store recommended istick pico + nautilus 2s. Does this setup work for the numbered and underlined above? Do the pieces fit? If so, can I use the sub-ohm coil for low nicsalt or is the material of the salt just bad for sub-ohm regardless of nic level?

Which is easier to fill/change coil: nautilus 2s standard or TPD? ANy other differences? Is the TPD available in Europe?

Is nautilus the only tank with the dual function?

Is it worth having two tanks to be able to keep shifting? Whether Nautilus 2s or another? And is there some sort of bag or case for my stuff to keep in my backpack (saw a lady with something for her stick in her purse once)?

Given the purpose of ease, Should I consider the Orion Lost vape, or is the ability to lower the wattage just not enough, and I need something with high-ohm. Keeping in mind I don't like anything higher than 3mg on the Aspire K4.

What about Chubby Bunny and Magico? Easy alterntives that vape better than Minifit, have a little more options but not too complicated and still easy to use, fill, etc?

I noticed, pico is small, together with 2s they'll be bigger than K4. Given the purpose of size, what about the istick pico baby + nautilus mini? Do the sizes fit and can nautilus mini take high/sub-ohm coils?

Is nautilus mini easy to fill like 2s or is it like the old nautilus requiring cap removal?

On their website, I read that nautilus mini has 2ml capacity and standard/tpd 2.6, but in the thread above it said the standard has 5ml. Who's correct?

Why didn't the boy recommend other setups? I came across istick pico X and Snowwolf mini and what about Aspire own mods like the one that comes with nautilus; the Zelos, K1 Stealth or Reax Mini?

Finally, is there antyhing I should know about VG/PG percentages with Salts and any of the devices above?

Thanks in advance!

cats5365

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
United States
The Pico 75 will take any tank with a diameter of 22mm or less. The battery cap is going to block a larger diameter tank. I have several of them, and they are nice small mods. I'm not familiar with the other mods you mentioned.

For a factory coil tank, I like the Nautilus X with a 1.8 ohm coil. It is a top fill and doesn't leak, but not everyone likes this tank. For a rebuildable tank, I like the Berserker mini. These are both 2ml tanks. Are you in Europe or someplace that limits the amount of liquid a tank can hold? If you want a small package, the 2ml tanks will keep things smaller.

If I plan to carry my Pico in my purse, I actually use a hard shell eyeglasses case to protect the mod and keep the fuzzies out of the drip tip. I turn the mod off when it goes in the purse to prevent accidental firing if something bumps the power button. If you are going with an external battery mod, be sure to check that your batteries are going to be safe to use, and get some plastic battery boxes for proper, safe, storage when the batteries aren't in a mod or on the charger. :thumb:

Welcome to ECF. I'm sure some other folks will chime in and help you spend your money and give you good advice about other options out there. :)

virm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2019
Thx for the welcome. Their website (the people I wanted to buy it from) calls it SC istick pico (SC100SP). The Aspire website clearly says Nautilus 2S is 23mm... So they're wrong?

Not sure about the laws. Yes, in Eurpoe. Either way, if it's going to add to the length I definitely don't want that. I need to be comfortable with it in my pant pocket, not too big and no leaking. Ease of access is quite important for me. I'm still less than two months off cigarettes after more than 15 years. The Jf Minifit is a lifesaver, but as I still find myself puffing away sometimes and since that's the goal in the first place I need to lower the Nicsalt content. WHenever I try that the hit is becoming less satisfyign. That and I am starting to enjoy vaping in and of itself.

Since I was already thinking it doesn't have to be one tank, maybe I could actually order it with its original Melo and buy one of those high-ohm tanks coming out. Then I am not sure what could work though; I am guessing width of the tank is not the only issue as I came across a review that was discussing how given the material of whatever tank it was they don't recommend using on whatever type of mods they mentioned [sorry, seen a 100 reviews the last couple of days]

Just came across the Wismec Sinous P80... why didn't they suggest that?

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Thx for the welcome. Their website (the people I wanted to buy it from) calls it SC istick pico (SC100SP). The Aspire website clearly says Nautilus 2S is 23mm... So they're wrong?

Not sure about the laws. Yes, in Eurpoe. Either way, if it's going to add to the length I definitely don't want that. I need to be comfortable with it in my pant pocket, not too big and no leaking. Ease of access is quite important for me. I'm still less than two months off cigarettes after more than 15 years. The Jf Minifit is a lifesaver, but as I still find myself puffing away sometimes and since that's the goal in the first place I need to lower the Nicsalt content. WHenever I try that the hit is becoming less satisfyign. That and I am starting to enjoy vaping in and of itself.

Since I was already thinking it doesn't have to be one tank, maybe I could actually order it with its original Melo and buy one of those high-ohm tanks coming out. Then I am not sure what could work though; I am guessing width of the tank is not the only issue as I came across a review that was discussing how given the material of whatever tank it was they don't recommend using on whatever type of mods they mentioned [sorry, seen a 100 reviews the last couple of days]

The pico is a small compact mod, and should fit the Nautilus 2s no problem.

You can use nic salts in any device even a DL tank. However, if you are DL'ing you will want lower mg - 6mg or 3mg nic salts would be just fine vaped DL.

The only difference between nic salts and regular nic is how they are created. Nic salts are a lot smoother which means you can vape higher mg, without throat irritation.

cats5365

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 27, 2013
    United States

If you are just starting on the vaping journey, it wouldn't hurt to try the Pico + Melo tank kit. The kit will come with a couple of coils that you could try and see which ones you like best. I didn't love the Melo tank because it tended to leak condensation after a while, but that could have been my vaping style as much as anything. If you like the way the Pico fits in your hand, you can always mix & match different tanks as you start to find out what you really like now, and then down the road when you have been vaping a while.

There's nothing wrong with having something that you like to use around the house, and something different for running around during the day. I still prefer to use my Blu cigalikes for short trips in the car just because they are so small and portable. If I'm going to be out for longer times, I take something else.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    I admit to a major distrust of “salts” myself, but for some people who can’t tolerate throat hit they’re the only thing that will do. I personally would avoid making them a permanent thing if you can. I don’t have proof, but I do have a serious lack of it.

I’ve railed about what I don’t like about “salts” elsewhere so I’ll avoid boring the community FTM.

There aren’t a lot of attys that will do both DL and MTL well. The crown 1 was supposed to. I’ve never vaped one myself. Uwell switches to the crown IV though so it’s kind of irrelevant. Crown I s are no longer available. As for the 2s working well in both MTL and DL I am doubtful. Nautilus BVC coils are nautilus BVC coils and subohm does not a DL vape make. RDL it can likely do pretty well though. DL vapes make BIG clouds and usually require dual replaceable battery systems to power them effectively. These things are not small. It CAN be done with single battery systems but you’ll need high drain batteries and you’ll be swapping them out a lot.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I agree about not worrying if a certain device/tank is for salts or not... it's all marketing BS. A more important issue is the VG/PG ratio. VG is thicker, PG thinner. Different coils like thicker or thinner juices. Also agree about using lower Nicotine levels in tanks with "sub-ohm" cloud maker coils. The Pico is a great choice for a small mod. Whatever you choose, learn about using the right wattage for your coil (generally less than it's rated is better) If you want to order online (and save a bunch of $) use "vapecrawler" search, but ask people here before ordering.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    I agree about not worrying if a certain device/tank is for salts or not... it's all marketing BS. A more important issue is the VG/PG ratio. VG is thicker, PG thinner. Different coils like thicker or thinner juices. Also agree about using lower Nicotine levels in tanks with "sub-ohm" cloud maker coils. The Pico is a great choice for a small mod. Whatever you choose, learn about using the right wattage for your coil (generally less than it's rated is better) If you want to order online (and save a bunch of $) use "vapecrawler" search, but ask people here before ordering.
    Even the thin vs thick juice thing often isn’t that important much of the time, but it is still much more important than nic type. That’s more or less complete hogwash. What “built for salts” can sometimes mean though is “this device has so little power that even 24mg unprotonated nic won’t be strong enough to satisfy cravings. It’s such a POS You need extremely high concentration nic to even make this thing work”.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I used nic salts to start because I was having trouble with tolerating a throat hit. Used em at 19 mg/ml and really nothing that different other than throat hit to be honest. Like, it's not a big deal the whole salt thing, just can you tolerate a given concentration in a given atomizer, at a given wattage. Lots of variables but nic poisoning is pretty hard to get. You get symptoms, you no longer want to vape. Simple.

I have only gotten truly nic sick from some Extra Strong snus, and I ended up vomiting in a bathtub. There are worse place to vomit I guess, but also better.

If your choice is between one of the Melo tanks and the N2S get the N2S!! Those Melo tanks are dreadful IMHO neither exactly MTL or DTL and cheaply constructed and also, the capacity for how much juice you go through is killer. The N2S is what the N2 shoulda been fixes a lot of problems.

Good luck,

I am one of those weirdos who also does not like picos for many reasons but lots of folks love the form factor etc.

Anna

virm

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 27, 2019
    Ah! it was the time difference_ waking up to advice is nice_ donno what missus keeps complaining about.
    Good morning and thanks all.

I see I maybe should have placed the proposed set up so centrally in my question. Pico+2S was just the man's answer to: I want some ONE Mod to do what I've been doing with the Jf Minifit + Aspire K4 (I don't even know what coil is on the latter_ edit: 0.27 ohm cleito_; I haven't changed it in over a year and half, when I gave on vaping the first time). Since I'm starting to want to shift between the two at the same time, I probably want to carry two tanks, so even if it were a tank that can take both sub/high-ohm i should probably want to buy two, to keep shifting.

The story (not necessary for question):

K4 was large, leaking and anything over 3mg nic was too much for my throat and the effect of freebase nic was too slow arriving. A friend discovered Minifit and said you do need high nic and the beginning and I been using it fine. I got it with 12mg [fella forgot to mention he meant salts, I had no idea they existed]. Gave up completely.
    After a visit months later, i learn abt salts. more months, a new shop in time, i'm passing by, enter on a whim, ask about salts, they say we only carry mix it yourself and i'm not buying a whole set up just to fail again. But the heaviest smoker I know really has quit with Minifit... more months, i wake up one morning Cigpack out, i charge the mini and go to shop, and now they do sell ready salts so i start... and haven't bought cigarettes since (going on 2 months)... salts are fantastic, not only comfort-wise (calling it that is an understatement; the diff. is between possible/impossible, not simply nice/annoying), but also because the effect is almost immediate__
    Another whim and reasoning that sitting and puffing for 20minutes straight while watching the news with 20mg nic is ridiculous, and remember that the K4 actually had a really fun cloud, i clean it out and try it (despite having earlier thought the coil burnt because, with all the discomfort back then, I wasn't wicking properly nor had the feel for warming up and saturation). The cloud was wonderful. As a smoker, I wasn't a regular Shisha-person, but on those rare occasions I found myself in a place that offered them and there was someone to share it with, it was great cycling the air through my head.
    I started asking about getting more options than the Minifit. I ask about airflow options [as that's all i could thing of for options] The guy suggests Yihi SXmini [if i understood him correctly with my half-assed German; he said it has a much better stable current/wattage and the clicks of the Minifit made him feel like a puppy in training[. Did some reading overnight, and now I'm asking about voltage, warmth, etc. [even though I hated the hot vapour feeling while trying flavours]. I also bought several 70VG liqs and start wondering if these don't work with Minifit and SXmini.
    Having asked about being able to tinker more and being able to do what I've been doing with the Minifit and the K4 with one device, the second guy suggests Eleaf istick + 2S. The first guy arrives at the shop and concurs.

@bombastinator I have tried searching what RDL is to no avail.

I have started to gather all I need to smoke both high (without irritation) and low (without losing the heaviness) nic on one machine is the ability to change the wattage/resistance [and the appropriate VG/PG, isee per @vaper1960 ]. I just wanted to make sure nicsalt doesn't require a different type of vaper/coil simply because it's salt (whatever the percentage of nic). Thanks for answering that. @stols001 my choices aren't limited really; I just started with what the vendor suggested...

SImply put: what's a small Mod and convenient tank/2 tanks for the range of options that cover what I've been doing with Jf Minifit [high nic] and K4 Aspire [low nic]? (and hey if I get more options toward DL or whatever, thereby graduating to a more advaced world: Great!). I am not going to build my own coils, nor get something like the Nauti 2 where I had to remove cap. Also the TPD thing where I could remove the coil without having to remove the glass, get my hands wet and throw out the liquid is a real plus.

All the research is addictively fun. But I really need to get something in the next couple of days; so feel free to be dictators!

Last edited:

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    My opinion, the original Nautilus is still great for low power vaping. It takes drop in coils and you can fill it or change the coil without disturbing anything. No fussy top fill gaskets. They are pretty cheap now and the coils are easy to find and reliable. You can get the cage tank for it which has a metal cage around the glass making it a lot less likely to break than the original all glass tank. Not sure about getting one in the next few days, easy to get on-line but maybe hard to find in shops. The later models of Nautilus may be better but I'm not familiar with them. The rest of the tanks I use are out of production.

No idea about high power tanks since I don't use them.

Batteries are all pretty much the same. Some have better quality or look nice or last longer. Picos are cheap and small and do the job fine.

virm

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 27, 2019
    My opinion, the original Nautilus is still great for low power vaping. It takes drop in coils and you can fill it or change the coil without disturbing anything. No fussy top fill gaskets. They are pretty cheap now and the coils are easy to find and reliable. You can get the cage tank for it which has a metal cage around the glass making it a lot less likely to break than the original all glass tank. Not sure about getting one in the next few days, easy to get on-line but maybe hard to find in shops. The later models of Nautilus may be better but I'm not familiar with them. The rest of the tanks I use are out of production.

Batteries are all pretty much the same. Some have better quality or look nice or last longer. Picos are cheap and small and do the job fine.

I may have said dictate, but I didn't say I won't rebel! As far as Nauti is concerned, it is settled:
    IF I getone it must be 2 S TPD because the fancy filling and coil removal are actually very important for me.

At this point it is also clear that while 2S fits on istick pico, the battery cap can obstruct the air flow holes. Therefore, one of the two is certainly a no-go.

But now, we're exploring other options altogether, since everyone keeps hinting at newer, smaller, better stuff...

I explore the Eleaf website too, these Nanos and Minis and some without the cap issue. Just not sure what they can do and what kinds of tanks can be used with'em.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA

Not sure I agree about the batteries, though with low power vaping the safety problems associated with low quality batteries are reduced. Even a shanzahi battery will generally work ok at 10 watts or less. It’s where you get above 30w that it starts to be a big issue.

As for the newer designs for BVC coil cartridge tanks all they’ve really got is convenience features like easier coil replacement and easier filling. Non critical stuff.

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    what's a small Mod and convenient tank/2 tanks for the range of options that cover what I've been doing with Jf Minifit [high nic] and K4 Aspire [low nic]?

Kroma and Zenith or Zlide tanks. Easy to use drop-in coils, ranging from 1.6Ω for your salts to 0.48 and 0.5Ω for restricted direct lung vaping of regular nicotine eliquids.

You are being redirected...

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Ah! it was the time difference_ waking up to advice is nice_ donno what missus keeps complaining about.
    Good morning and thanks all.

I see I maybe should have placed the proposed set up so centrally in my question. Pico+2S was just the man's answer to: I want some ONE Mod to do what I've been doing with the Jf Minifit + Aspire K4 (I don't even know what coil is on the latter_ edit: 0.27 ohm cleito_; I haven't changed it in over a year and half, when I gave on vaping the first time). Since I'm starting to want to shift between the two at the same time, I probably want to carry two tanks, so even if it were a tank that can take both sub/high-ohm i should probably want to buy two, to keep shifting.

The story (not necessary for question):

K4 was large, leaking and anything over 3mg nic was too much for my throat and the effect of freebase nic was too slow arriving. A friend discovered Minifit and said you do need high nic and the beginning and I been using it fine. I got it with 12mg [fella forgot to mention he meant salts, I had no idea they existed]. Gave up completely.
    After a visit months later, i learn abt salts. more months, a new shop in time, i'm passing by, enter on a whim, ask about salts, they say we only carry mix it yourself and i'm not buying a whole set up just to fail again. But the heaviest smoker I know really has quit with Minifit... more months, i wake up one morning Cigpack out, i charge the mini and go to shop, and now they do sell ready salts so i start... and haven't bought cigarettes since (going on 2 months)... salts are fantastic, not only comfort-wise (calling it that is an understatement; the diff. is between possible/impossible, not simply nice/annoying), but also because the effect is almost immediate__
    Another whim and reasoning that sitting and puffing for 20minutes straight while watching the news with 20mg nic is ridiculous, and remember that the K4 actually had a really fun cloud, i clean it out and try it (despite having earlier thought the coil burnt because, with all the discomfort back then, I wasn't wicking properly nor had the feel for warming up and saturation). The cloud was wonderful. As a smoker, I wasn't a regular Shisha-person, but on those rare occasions I found myself in a place that offered them and there was someone to share it with, it was great cycling the air through my head.
    I started asking about getting more options than the Minifit. I ask about airflow options [as that's all i could thing of for options] The guy suggests Yihi SXmini [if i understood him correctly with my half-assed German; he said it has a much better stable current/wattage and the clicks of the Minifit made him feel like a puppy in training[. Did some reading overnight, and now I'm asking about voltage, warmth, etc. [even though I hated the hot vapour feeling while trying flavours]. I also bought several 70VG liqs and start wondering if these don't work with Minifit and SXmini.
    Having asked about being able to tinker more and being able to do what I've been doing with the Minifit and the K4 with one device, the second guy suggests Eleaf istick + 2S. The first guy arrives at the shop and concurs.

@bombastinator I have tried searching what RDL is to no avail.

I have started to gather all I need to smoke both high (without irritation) and low (without losing the heaviness) nic on one machine is the ability to change the wattage/resistance [and the appropriate VG/PG, isee per @vaper1960 ]. I just wanted to make sure nicsalt doesn't require a different type of vaper/coil simply because it's salt (whatever the percentage of nic). Thanks for answering that. @stols001 my choices aren't limited really; I just started with what the vendor suggested...

SImply put: what's a small Mod and convenient tank/2 tanks for the range of options that cover what I've been doing with Jf Minifit [high nic] and K4 Aspire [low nic]? (and hey if I get more options toward DL or whatever, thereby graduating to a more advaced world: Great!). I am not going to build my own coils, nor get something like the Nauti 2 where I had to remove cap. Also the TPD thing where I could remove the coil without having to remove the glass, get my hands wet and throw out the liquid is a real plus.

All the research is addictively fun. But I really need to get something in the next couple of days; so feel free to be dictators!
    MTL = mouth to lung, or sometimes mouth-to-nose. It’s a descriptor of the method of inhalation. MTL tanks have low vapor production, use high concentration nic, and have narrow air flows requiring a lot of suction to draw. The smoke is drawn in using suction created in the mouth which is then either drawn into the lungs, expelled through the nose, or both.

DL = direct lung. Sometimes called “weed style” vapor is breathed. Drawn directly into the lungs. DL attys are typified by a lot more vapor production, a lot more airflow, and use a lot more electricity because they need to produce a lot more vapor faster.

RDL = Restricted Direct Lung. This is sort of between MTL and DL. A tank that uses more electricity and produces more vapor. The draw is still tight but more vapor is produced. The draw method can be other DL or MTL style, but ohms are lower, airflow is generally looser, and more vapor is produced. Not a true DL atty though. It’s a bit beyond “loose MTL” which is what a lot of pod systems do.

The “looseness” or “tightness” refers to the amount of airflow and DL or MTL refers to the way vapor is drawn by the user. A tight enough draw makes a DL style draw impossible. Lungs can’t produce enough suction. It requires cheek muscles to provide enough power.
    RDL sort of splits the difference.

Last edited:

virm

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 27, 2019

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    You can consider a Zenith/Zlide tank on a Pico as 22 mm versions are available that hold 2 ml. The Zenith line of coils is really superb and provide a range of choices with excellent performance. Just another option to consider. The Pico itself is a very nice, reliable small mod and I have several that have stood up well over time.

virm

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 27, 2019
    You can consider a Zenith/Zlide tank on a Pico as 22 mm versions are available that hold 2 ml. The Zenith line of coils is really superb and provide a range of choices with excellent performance. Just another option to consider. The Pico itself is a very nice, reliable small mod and I have several that have stood up well over time.

But then why not explore the new smaller stuff? (Don't want to look for the products again in the middle of the library; but Eleaf alone seemed to have at least two smaller Mods, a Baby and a Nano (?)_ I know lesser wattage_ but_ yeah maybe newer stuff by others?)

Coincidentally Also noticed there's these horizontally smaller Mods with the same height (and I'm guessing there's others by other manufacturers). Just wondering (forgive the ignorance_) why are we staying from these? A wattage or battery thing or the tanks/coils we need won't do on those?
    Eleaf Invoke with ELLO T - Eleaf electronic cigarette
    iStick Rim with MELO 5

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread