Are my AW IMR Batteries Fake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came across a thread on ECF where they were comparing genuine AW IMRs with fake ones. At the time of purchase I had no idea that fakes were so prevalent... I bought these from an online store based locally. I ordered from there to get them a bit quicker (since they aren't allowed to be sent via airmail due to their dangerous goods classification). I have a bad feeling they are fakes...

Batteries.jpg

Your help, as always, is appreciated. Also, what should I do RE the vendor if they are fake?

I'm not keen to post a link to the vendor in case they aren't fake - I don't want to smear someone's reputation without a sound basis.

I did message AW on another thread asking which vendors he supplies in Australia - the one I bought from is not one of them, however the vendor could have got them from another source and is just reselling them...

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
well the real issue is if the vendor didnt go to an authorized carrier for AW, he may have went to somewhere like alibaba and bought them in bulk and he may not know either (if you go to alibaba and search, 100's of aw's will come up) it is easy to get fooled.

in any case it would be best to notify the place where you bought them about your concerns and see what they have to say, he may hate you or he may thank you, who knows.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
the printing does look a little odd but it changes from time to time. it is also missing the usual information (CE Made in china etc)
I agree with this. I have AW batteries that are almost a year and a half old and some that are newer purchased at various times since, and none of mine have printed lettering like OP's. I'm highly suspicious. Even the AW logo sticker looks odd.

Vwls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
AZ
Differences I am seeing:

The ones suspected to be fake are missing the line of text and small logos that begins with CE. Also the plus and minus signs are different - the (possible) fakes are not red on black background - they are black text.

It would be great if we could come up with a foolproof way to detect the fakes. Anyone have one that looks like the possible fakes but has lasted a long time and performed well?

Differences I am seeing:

The ones suspected to be fake are missing the line of text and small logos that begins with CE. Also the plus and minus signs are different - the (possible) fakes are not red on black background - they are black text.

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

Yes, straight away I noticed the missing logos, etc. The text on mine look like a dot-matrix font. I am really disappointed, to say the least...

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I came across a thread on ECF where they were comparing genuine AW IMRs with fake ones. At the time of purchase I had no idea that fakes were so prevalent... I bought these from an online store based locally. I ordered from there to get them a bit quicker (since they aren't allowed to be sent via airmail due to their dangerous goods classification). I have a bad feeling they are fakes...

View attachment 275620

Your help, as always, is appreciated. Also, what should I do RE the vendor if they are fake?

I recently got 4 18350's that I believed to be fakes when I got them... they look just like yours. None of my others are fakes IMO. My fault for buying them off FleaBay in the first place, and for not paying close enough attention to the ad picture posted. When I got them and looked back at the ad this seller did not state that they were genuine. So while not being totally honest maybe if they are in fact fakes he also didn't lie. He did screw up and sent me 4 18650's first and I had to wait for him to resend with an RMA to return the others on. So to get what I actually bought/paid for instantly took 14 days from about 415 road miles away. I won't single him out by name or exact location because he didn't misrepresent. But keep in mind there is a seller of AW IMR batteries in the Salt Lake City valley that sells ones that look just like yours.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
like I said earlier, dont hold the vendors feet over the fire too quickly, as I stated, sometimes they are being duped into buying the fakes as well, it's very easy to go to a wholesale site like alibaba and get stung if you dont really know what your doing or what to look out for.

im sure a couple vendors out there know they are doing it, but I have run into a couple people who honestly thought they got the real deal and were upset when they realized they got suckered as well.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
alibaba is fun, type in something and see how many photoshopped ads pop up for items that dont actually exist. wanna see something stupid? search for a provari - bet you never owned a provari clearomizer before lol

and its always fun to read ads where the translator gets stuck like this -
Toppest selling Innokin itaste VTR best quality provari variable voltage

besides it isnt for the regular folks looking for one of something, it is a dealer site for people looking at bulk items, far easier to get under the minimum amount set by manufacturers going through dealers on AB

( i think thats my word of the day right there - Toppest selling-)

Last edited:

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
alibaba is fun, type in something and see how many photoshopped ads pop up for items that dont actually exist. wanna see something stupid? search for a provari - bet you never owned a provari clearomizer before lol

and its always fun to read ads where the translator gets stuck like this -
Toppest selling Innokin itaste VTR best quality provari variable voltage

besides it isnt for the regular folks looking for one of something, it is a dealer site for people looking at bulk items, far easier to get under the minimum amount set by manufacturers going through dealers on AB

( i think thats my word of the day right there - Toppest selling-)
I know it's for dealers. You'll notice I DID say "wholesalers" lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread