Are you for or against being able to vape indoors in public places?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nivek13

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2015
Chicago,IL
The reason I'm asking is just the other day i was sitting on the couch vaping my atlantis and first the first time really noticed how thick and heavy the vapor from sub-ohm type devices is. It really does hang around for a little while. My girlfriend looked over and said, i can see why some people could get upset if you were vaping that indoors. So that got me thinking, what are other peoples views on this? I think if i was a non-smoker, non-Vapor that having that huge cloud lingering around while I'm trying to eat, drink, or enjoy myself at a indoor public place would be rude and annoying. I might even consider taking my vaping outside To tell you the truth i was a smoker for at least 10 years and when Illinois put a smoking ban indoors i was actually happy about it cause i hated being inside with all that smoke.

My view is i do not think there should be an outright ban on it, but i do think it should be up to the discretion of the business weather or not to allow it. I also think people should respect said business and first ask the bushiness if its ok before just pulling out their device and vaping, and if the business said no they should respect that and take it outside. I don't think their should be an outright ban on it through the government.

What do you think? Do you get angry if told you cant vape??

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I'm not sure how you reconcile "happy about putting in a smoking ban" with "it should be up to the discretion of the business owner", but I've always felt the cheapest, easiest, clearest way to deal with the issue, be it smoking or vaping, is require business owners to post their choice on the entrance door. That way, either side unhappy with their choice can pass on by and leave others alone.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
It's hard for me to decide how I'd vote on this, to be honest. It depends so much on the device, the quantity of cloud produced, and the actual venue -- I'm usually a diehard about "my rights" or "my convenience," but I'd have to say that I think disallowing vaping in actual restaurants is probably a good idea, just as it would be a terrific idea to disallow perfume on waitstaff, and for the same reason -- not everyone agrees on what "smells good", and in a food venue, I can see how the smell of thick clouds could annoy anyone -- even vapers.

As for other venues... I think it should definitely be allowed in bars; stores, I'm not sure, because it really does depend on the volume of cloud produced -- if one is tootle puffing, I think one is unlikely to annoy any but the most die-hard ANTZ, but if a store allows "moderate" vaping but bans "clouds," I can see how some cloud chasers might feel pretty annoyed about it. In which case, I really think it makes more sense to simply ban it for everyone -- because who is going to be the one to decide what volume of cloud constitutes cloud chasing, or annoyance? I certainly wouldn't want that job, despite my own firm ideas on the matter.

I just wish the gov't wasn't so dead-set on deciding the issue for everyone. If the current USA is the "land of the free," I'd hate to see a real totalitarian regime.

Andria

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
Honestly, going to a store someone can wait 30 minutes at most to not vape. I feel with subohm tanks or RDAs it shouldn't be done in stores. It's distracting, it hangs around a bit, and could annoy people. If it's something like an ego twist, sure do it, not that much vapor from it. I don't get angry because the only time I go to indoor public places is school and I can wait to vape for an hour class or I go to the grocery store and I can wait 30 minutes before vaping again. I'm more upset by the people blowing huge clouds while in a grocery store than a store saying don't do it. Just because it's not smoke doesn't mean it needs to be done everywhere. People can show a little discipline and respect when shopping.

I do agree though, it should be up to the business owner instead of an outright ban.

erictho

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2011
Edmonton
i walk into the most popular vape shop in the city and i think the clouds are obnoxious. i vape a mech at 3.7v and 1.5ohm and i was not impressed when one of the employees tried to sell me a regulated device bc don't i want to blow big clouds? no. i do not need to choke on it.
i was also asked to not vape on the bus because i was obviously holding a vaporizer when i boarded the bus. i thought it was silly until a few days after when someone was vaping on the bus. don't people get it's a pretty intimately shared space?
even passing someone chucking huge clouds on the street i try to at least avoid their exhalation. i dunno, i get way more vapor than i ever got smoke from cigarettes on my current set up. i am glad to see more vapers in the wild but i am quickly seeing why we may not be welcome.
it's sad it's harder to ask for forgiveness for vaping. i was recently asked not to vape at a pub just because my vaporizer was on the table. it was pretty sad as i remember a time when people were excited i was vaping inside a hospital.

Nivek13

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2015
Chicago,IL
Im even thinking about taking my vaping outdoors for the most part at home, i have a 3 year old, i know at least i believe vaping to be 100000x better for you then smoking, i still dont think its a good idea for her to have to see my vaping and blowing out huge clouds that linger in the house. I mean if she is asleep and im in the front with the window open thats probly fine. But as much as i want to see her stay away from smoking i would rather her stay away from vaping as well....

hashtag

Ultra Member
May 17, 2015
In a bar or a vape shop I think it should be allowed. In most other places it doesn't seem appropriate to me. Even without the smoke smell nobody wants to eat in a restaurant that looks like a laser tag arena. I would love to vape everywhere but not at the cost of everyone else's comfort and enjoyment of the environment.

Nivek13

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2015
Chicago,IL
In a bar or a vape shop I think it should be allowed. In most other places it doesn't seem appropriate to me. Even without the smoke smell nobody wants to eat in a restaurant that looks like a laser tag arena. I would love to vape everywhere but not at the cost of everyone else's comfort and enjoyment of the environment.

I agree to an extent about the bars... vape shop is a given, it would be ridiculous to say you can't vape in a vape shop.... bars on the otherhand i think should be up to that bar owner discretion, and think it should be posted somewere on the door weather or not its allowed upfront. Ive heard alot about how the buisness from bars went up after the smoking ban here in chicago. Alot of people refused to go to the bars because of the smoke and even as an ex smokerbi dont blame them, i didnt like it either.

Reactions: Dixie1954

hashtag

Ultra Member
May 17, 2015
I agree to an extent about the bars... vape shop is a given, it would be ridiculous to say you can't vape in a vape shop.... bars on the otherhand i think should be up to that bar owner discretion, and think it should be posted somewere on the door weather or not its allowed upfront. Ive heard alot about how the buisness from bars went up after the smoking ban here in chicago. Alot of people refused to go to the bars because of the smoke and even as an ex smokerbi dont blame them, i didnt like it either.

I agree it should be up to the owner. I live in a state where it is snowy and cold in the winter and 100 degrees plus all summer so having a few places to hang out where I don't have to go outside too often is nice.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
I think it should be up to the business owner. However, I think that given that choice the vast majority of businesses would ban them. The liability issue is just far too great for any non-vaping oriented business to take the risk of allowing it.

I know we all like to believe our ecig vapor is harmless, but for some people it can be quite dangerous, even deadly. For example, someone with a severe nut allergy could have a major attack, even die from breathing the vapor from an ecig juice that contained natural nut flavorings. Nut flavoring isn't only used in nut flavored juices either, nut flavoring is often used when mixing so-called "tobacco" flavors as well. Absinthe flavoring is another that can cause allergic reactions in some people.

Which brings up the moral issue...

If your ecig vapor causes someone to go to the hospital for an allergic reaction do you feel you should be legally liable and required to pay their bills as well as any pain and suffering compensation? How about if they die because of your ecig vapor? Would you be willing to pay the price?

While you may feel you have the right to vape where you want, surely they have the right to breath without having their lives and health put in jeopardy by your vapor. Your vaping isn't necessary for your survival, their breathing is.

navigator2011

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Fullerton, CA, USA
I vape (non-subohm) in my own home and my own cars, no matter who's around. However, I would not presume to do that indoors anywhere else. If the law states there's to be no public "indoor" vaping, then fine, I'll go outdoors (as a smoker, I'm used to it). But if they start badgering me about "outdoor vaping," then I have a huge problem with that, and then I just do whatever I want.

LouisLeBeau

Shenaniganery Jedi! Too naughty for Sin Bin
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
i walk into the most popular vape shop in the city and i think the clouds are obnoxious. i vape a mech at 3.7v and 1.5ohm and i was not impressed when one of the employees tried to sell me a regulated device bc don't i want to blow big clouds? no. i do not need to choke on it.
i was also asked to not vape on the bus because i was obviously holding a vaporizer when i boarded the bus. i thought it was silly until a few days after when someone was vaping on the bus. don't people get it's a pretty intimately shared space?
even passing someone chucking huge clouds on the street i try to at least avoid their exhalation. i dunno, i get way more vapor than i ever got smoke from cigarettes on my current set up. i am glad to see more vapers in the wild but i am quickly seeing why we may not be welcome.
it's sad it's harder to ask for forgiveness for vaping. i was recently asked not to vape at a pub just because my vaporizer was on the table. it was pretty sad as i remember a time when people were excited i was vaping inside a hospital.

This is a common sense response. I think "vaping" is harmed by those who insist on chucking clouds anywhere but outdoors, or in their own cars/homes/whatever. The lingering haze ANYwhere, including a vape shop, is a visual turn off to everyone but those chucking the clouds. A potential convert who walks into a cloudy vape shop may likely have second thoughts. NOT good for the business, or the industry or the consumer. What if I want to try flavors, but I've got somebody's gobs of Straw-Nilla in the air? Makes it tough to tell what I'm tasting. It's really in our best interest to make vaping a pleasant experience, for everyone.

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Knock it off

Tmg666

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2014
Green bay, Wisconsin
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Cleaning up / collateral damage.

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014

I never understood that you're knocking back shots of tequila and whiskey but scared of second hand smoke. Mmmmkay.

catlady60

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Nazareth, PA
Personally, I'm in favor of vaping indoors in public places, as long as vapers don't call attention to themselves by blowing huge clouds. Non-vapers and vapers alike would rather see where they're going and what they're doing without enormous clouds obstructing their view.
I have no problem with tootle puffing indoors.

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Cleaning up / collateral damage.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread