Patchy Indoor Vaping Laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

mp25

Dec 27, 2018
Most states do not have comprehensive indoor vaping bans, leaving municipalities (in most cases) to regulate their usage inside public places. Chicago, for example, has banned it indoors since January 2014 (almost a year after I stopped vaping). Several of the “collar” towns and many other suburbs have done the same although a few allow it in bars.

For those that don’t live in one of around 10 states that completely ban vaping inside public places, do you find it challenging to navigate which cities (and sometimes counties) allow vaping indoors and which don’t? Do you rely on “No E-Cigarette Use” signs? I recall my hometown not banning it inside public places (yet), but most of the bigger cities nearby it have. If I was still vaping, I’m certainly not saying that I would advocate for a statewide ban in Illinois (which I know the current governor would support), but it’s not very well-published where it is and is not legal to vape indoors.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
This I think is because most of the anti vaping laws were pushed through by the cigarette companies. They did it in the most cost effective manner possible.
That Chicago law is of particular note. It was done early and was very very expensive. The reason it was done as I have been told is that Chicago is a national hub for chain resteraunts, and part of the law says that resteraunts based in Chicago cannot allow vaping inside their buildings NO MATTER WHERE THEY ARE IN THE NATION. they bought a national law for the price of a city law.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
It took me a while to muster up the courage to ask my boss if I can vape at work. Now I work indoors and I was always having to go outside and I'm sure it bothered the others in the office as I kept coming in and out from outside every hour. Last week I was able to ask my boss if there's any way that I can vape in the office and he showed me a room and told me I can vape in there as much as I want whenever I want. Now I feel so free knowing I can get my nic fill whenever I feel I need it. I know most bosses are not going to be as welcoming as that though so I guess I got it lucky.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
I work in a building where it's up to the company renting a particular office space. My company says no vaping, no 'loud' perfume and no 'loud' aroma food.

I asked in an email to the CEO if they would consider banning sneezing and 'loud' smelling methane expulsion from the workers in the office....the response thusfar has been crickets chirping.

Reactions: Anise

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2015
Toledo,Oh
I don't give two craps what the law is, if a store/restaurant etc doesn't want people vaping I respect their wishes if the law wants to stop me they can give me a ticket because I don't care. The city I live in is very neutral on vaping largely because we have a lot of vapors and a lot of vape shops so I think they know better than try to regulate it. I don't see my city even attempting to make laws against vaping because it's so widespread now to the point every radio station and tv channels have ads for local vape shops! Plus every shop is very strict with minors (under 18? you'll get kicked out), the ads are adult and most of us that vape are respectful. Now I will say this Lucas County (where I live) is cracking down big time on convenience stores that sell e-cigarettes because there's so many minors with juuls. I'm %100 for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread