Status
Not open for further replies.

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
I hadn't heard of this. That was an excellent battery. I wonder if AW will be offering something better in the near future?

They've started weaning them out for the more cost effective 2000mah version. Most users won't have a problem with that, but us vapors that do sub ohms have to start looking for alternatives. That was an amazing battery and lighthound sent me notice the other day they'll still have supplies for a while but no new ones are being made. I try to think ahead so I'm looking for a good battery now rather than later.

Michael Curry

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2011
Panama City, FL
Want to know what the best brand, longest charge, most reliable, and where to get them. Help me please! Looking to get a iTaste TVR, and I want a GREAT pair of batteries to keep this tank of a PV running strong.

Be sure to get unprotected batteries. I mean, you can put a protected 18650 in the battery compartment - but the door won't close because of the added length.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Be sure to get unprotected batteries. I mean, you can put a protected 18650 in the battery compartment - but the door won't close because of the added length.

The term "unprotected" when describing batteries is a pet peeve of mine. The correct term is "IMR". Safe chemistry. High drain. Lithium Magenese (Li-Mn).

Unprotected can also mean a unprotected NCR/ICR li-ion battery which is an entirely different Li Ion battery chemistry. Unprotected li-ion batteries should NEVER be used in a mod due to their inherent unsafe battery chemistry without protective circuits.

Last edited:

RandomFellow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
Plymouth, MI, USA
The term "unprotected" when describing batteries is a pet peeve of mine. The correct term is "IMR". Safe chemistry. High drain. Lithium Magenese (Li-Mn).

Unprotected can mean a NCR/ICR battery which is an entirely different Li Ion battery chemistry. Unprotected li-ion batteries should NEVER be used in a mod due to their inherent unsafe battery chemistry without protective circuits.

Actually, a "protected" battery means it has an IC (integrated circuit) which protects the battery from over charging, over discharging, and too much current. The battery actually has a little circuit board attached to it under the shrink wrap.

I have the VTR and really like my Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mAh batteries for it. Super long vape time, and super stable chemistry. And since you are using a regulated device, you don't need (nor should you use) a protected battery. The VTR will handle the protection.

4star60

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
St.louis
I'm going to have to try the Panasonics. This Efest is ok but I vape pretty much constantly and I've never run the VTR down to the red indicator but I usually put it on the charger in the evening and use my Evod for a couple hours while it charges. I just need to buy a spare battery. Spent all my cig money on gear and juice til next month. I've got Li-Poly's for my Planes that will put out 60 amps... Could build a hell of a coil for those...lol! I can charge those in 10min. I'm not sure how fast you can charge Li-mn batts?

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I just upgraded to my first mod, a zmax v5. I've been using nothing but green label panasonics which are 3400mah. Seem to work great.

I have a pair of those and have used them only sparingly while my other batteries were charging. I don't use them regularly because I suspect that they're unprotected ICR cells, but I can't confirm this because I haven't been able to find the specifications for this particular cell. The reason I suspect ICR chemistry is the nominal capacity of 3400mAh. Unless battery manufacturing has made a tremendous advance, I don't think it's possible to achieve such a high capacity with IMR or hybrid chemistries.

Label: NCR18650B

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I have a pair of those and have used them only sparingly while my other batteries were charging. I don't use them regularly because I suspect that they're unprotected ICR cells, but I can't confirm this because I haven't been able to find the specifications for this particular cell. The reason I suspect ICR chemistry is the nominal capacity of 3400mAh. Unless battery manufacturing has made a tremendous advance, I don't think it's possible to achieve such a high capacity with IMR or hybrid chemistries.

Label: NCR18650B
This battery is made both protected and unprotected according to Orbtonic. Panasonic 18650 3400mah NCR18650B battery cell

These are not high drain batteries, so they are not optimized for use in regulated mods, or mechanical mods using a Kick module, or with RBA/RDA's.

Last edited:

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
This battery is made both protected and unprotected according to Orbtonic. Panasonic 18650 3400mah NCR18650B battery cell

These are not high drain batteries, so they are not optimized for use in regulated mods, or mechanical mods using a Kick module, or with RBA/RDA's.

That's what I suspect as well, but others on this forum believe that the new NCR chemistry is safer even than the IMR chemistry. Panasonic doesn't publish the max current rating on these, so there's no way of telling if they're high drain or not. However, I have seen them tested as high as 5.0a, which is the limit of the Vamo and most other regulated mods (ProVari is 3.5a, IIRC) and the batteries performed very well.

Test of Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mAh (Green)

If I'm doing the math right on the energy density from Panny's specs and the test results shown above, the max discharge rate would be ~7.0a which is within the limits of anything I'd be dropping one of these cells into.

However, I'm always in belt-and-suspenders when it comes to battery safety so I'm hesitant to use these on a regular basis. The high capacity and high computed amperage make them fine for short term, light duty use. But I wouldn't put them in a mech or kick it with any device capable of exceeding the computed limit.

I sure wish I could get my hands on the factory specs showing the discharge rate. Panasonic makes quality batteries and I really would like to use these.

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
The continuous discharge rate is 6.8 amps. I couldn't find this on Orbtonic's or RTD's website, but I do recall reading it somewhere. Possibly PBusardo's Taste Your Juice article on batteries (?). I've seen Thrasher quote that specification, too, and I have no reason not to trust what he says.

That's what I calculated too, using a 2C rating that I'd seen elsewhere on another vendor's website. With a nominal capacity of ~3400mAh and 2C rating, max discharge is 6.8a.

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com

...!?! Only 0.2C for the NCR19650B!!! I thought they were at least 2C. At 0.2C, that's only .68 Amps discharge rate! I gotta get some of those AW IMR batteries!

No way those are genuine Panasonic NCR's. The energy density ratings are way too low. Those are either counterfeits, or factory QC rejects.

It's the Wild Wild West in the battery market.

Edit to add: If those batteries actually had a 0.2C rating, they would have vented during HKJ's testing.

Last edited:

flowerpots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
my desk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread