Not open for further replies.

Col. Gaunt

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2009
Chicago, IL
Apparently possession is illegal in W Va.

Be careful posting about having a pack sitting around lest the storm troopers bust in your door.

It's for our own good. Since flavors have been banned there are reports of roaming gangs of desperate clove crazed Cub Scouts and altar boys breaking into homes and terrorizing families for a half a pack of Djarums!

I have seen stories on the news about Hunter Killer packs of girl scouts pulling wagons pretending to be selling cookies, but when you open your door they burst in and ransack your home looking for clove cigs or swisher sweets. The government is advising citizens to pull down their shades and ignore doorbells!

Apparently ads by R.J Reynolds for Camel cigarettes, Brown's & Williams Kool cigarettes, and ads for US chewing tobacco(smokeless tobacco) are using ads such as the following :Special Report: Big Tobacco: Still Targeting Kids and the FDA has banned "characterized flavors" from tobacco products (tobacco, filters, & paper), because these companies have been advertising cigarettes and smokeless tobacco

* R.J. Reynolds - the same company that once marketed cigarettes to kids with a cartoon character, Joe Camel - has launched a series of flavored cigarettes, including a pineapple and coconut-flavored cigarette called "Kauai Kolada" and a citrus-flavored cigarette called "Twista Lime." In November 2004, they introduced Camel "Winter Blends" in flavors including "Winter Warm Toffee" and "Winter MochaMint" (see Campaign statement).
* Brown & Williamson has introduced flavored versions of its Kool cigarettes with names like "Caribbean Chill," "Midnight Berry," "Mocha Taboo" and "Mintrigue."
* The U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company is marketing spit tobacco with flavors including berry blend, mint, wintergreen, apple blend, vanilla and cherry.is what is being used to target children

When the FDA was asked about e-cigarettes being included in this ban, they said "there’s a lawsuit around that right now. And I don’t think that we are allowed to talk about that." When the subject was brought up again, they said quote:

" I’m still a little confused about exactly what is banned. It’s my understanding that we’re talking about any product that’s wrapped in paper and contains tobacco. Does this mean that cigars - small cigars that are - that may be wrapped in tobacco leaf and contain flavored tobacco are not included in the ban?
And does the ban - I know that you can’t talk about the eCigarette regulation, but can I assume that that means that eCigarettes are not at this time included in this specific ban? Thank you."

Lawrence Deyton: "The definition of a cigarette is that it has these characterizing flavors is what is banned. So it’s not what is labeled, it’s what is the actual product and its intended use."

Daniel DeNoon: "So if it’s wrapped in a tobacco leaf does that make it not covered in the ban?"
Lawrence Deyton: "The - if it - according to the law, as (my reading the) law -- and I’m not a lawyer -- but if something is wrapped in a tobacco leaf, and is - would not be considered a - hold on just a second."

Catherine Lorraine: " We’d like - this is Catherine Lorraine in the Center. I just want to draw your attention to the portion of the definition of a cigarette, which specifically refers to the appearance of the product and how it is perceived and offered for sale to consumers. And so we will be looking at products on an individual basis to determine if it meets that aspect of the definition of a cigarette."

NOTE: Taken from Sept 22, transcript, you can obtain the full transcript here: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/NewsEvents/Newsroom/MediaTranscripts/UCM183533.pdf

Last edited:

ladyraj

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
Apparently ads by R.J Reynolds for Camel cigarettes, Brown's & Williams Kool cigarettes, and ads for US chewing tobacco(smokeless tobacco) are using ads such as the following :Special Report: Big Tobacco: Still Targeting Kids and the FDA has banned "characterized flavors" from tobacco products (tobacco, filters, & paper), because these companies have been advertising cigarettes and smokeless tobacco

* R.J. Reynolds - the same company that once marketed cigarettes to kids with a cartoon character, Joe Camel - has launched a series of flavored cigarettes, including a pineapple and coconut-flavored cigarette called "Kauai Kolada" and a citrus-flavored cigarette called "Twista Lime." In November 2004, they introduced Camel "Winter Blends" in flavors including "Winter Warm Toffee" and "Winter MochaMint" (see Campaign statement).
* Brown & Williamson has introduced flavored versions of its Kool cigarettes with names like "Caribbean Chill," "Midnight Berry," "Mocha Taboo" and "Mintrigue."
* The U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company is marketing spit tobacco with flavors including berry blend, mint, wintergreen, apple blend, vanilla and cherry.is what is being used to target children

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make but I can counter it with a simple concept. Flavors are not only for children. The whole argument is nonsense. :D

SheerLuckHolmes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2009
Tempe, Az
I have seen stories on the news about Hunter Killer packs of girl scouts pulling wagons pretending to be selling cookies, but when you open your door they burst in and ransack your home looking for clove cigs or swisher sweets. The government is advising citizens to pull down their shades and ignore doorbells!

I snorted my e-inhale LMAO while reading this. Love that mental image.

The hypocracy of the FDA is pissing me off. They won't budge from their no scientific data line. They can't make any assumptions without seeing scientific testing... on and on and on. Then they "believe" that e-cigs are a gateway to youth tobacoo useage.

WHERE IS THE SCIENCE TO BACK THAT UP. FDA????????

There is no science to back their claims about child e-cig ANYTHING!!!

If they are going to take the hard line for Science then everything out of their forked tongued mouths should have to have science behind it as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check this out, Primetime response to FDA flavor ban. Apperently it suggests that the ban only applies to cigarettes and not products classified as cigars. Wonder if it will fly? I don't think so, but it's a crazy world, so who knows.

http://www.usadist.com/PTIC_FDA_Positon_Letter_09-22-09.htm

mcl5000

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2009
Allentown, PA
I don't understand 2 main points about this.

1 - Who starts smoking because it tastes good? Kids start smoking because it's "cool" or because their friends are doing it, not because they love the taste of burning tar.

2 - People who can legally buy cigarettes (18 year olds) aren't kids. 18 year olds' eyes don't light up when they see chocolate or strawberry flavored things. That's 12 year olds. When a 12 year old starts smoking, they're not doing it for the flavor. They're doing it to rebel.

If anything, I'd think kids would stay away from these fruity cigarettes because they'll get made fun of by their smoker buddies.

And I have some insight on this, because I was 18 only 6 years ago, and I still have some friends who are under 20.

edit: lol @ clove "cigars" being sold now. They aren't cigars at all. They're cigarettes that are packaged a little differently. Brilliant!

Last edited:

Col. Gaunt

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2009
Chicago, IL
I snorted my e-inhale LMAO while reading this. Love that mental image.

The hypocracy of the FDA is pissing me off. They won't budge from their no scientific data line. They can't make any assumptions without seeing scientific testing... on and on and on. Then they "believe" that e-cigs are a gateway to youth tobacoo useage.

WHERE IS THE SCIENCE TO BACK THAT UP. FDA????????

There is no science to back their claims about child e-cig ANYTHING!!!

If they are going to take the hard line for Science then everything out of their forked tongued mouths should have to have science behind it as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Science? Since when does the the government need to prove anything to us idiots who pay our taxes to them and watch our money get ...... away on any bull crap project that they can think of! These idiots can spend $800.00 on a toilet seat but have the nerve to tell us we cannot enjoy a flavored cig because it is aimed as addicting our youth?

Alcohol comes in flavors, is that next to be banned? Will the next news stories we hear be of roving packs of boy scouts breaking into peoples homes looking for peppermint schnapps?

smc

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2009
California
Just stopped into my local smoke shop for some pipe screens to try out the cart mod. While I was waiting I noticed they still had clove cigs for sale. They also had all the other flavors. I thought I might pick up a half pack of djarum black while they still had them. I did not notice until a few min ago they say this on the pack:

Filtered clove cigars.

On the back it states: Each djarum contains .. premium cigar tabaccos ...

Nice...

Casey C

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Fort Wayne, IN
evolvers.net
Just stopped into my local smoke shop for some pipe screens to try out the cart mod. While I was waiting I noticed they still had clove cigs for sale. They also had all the other flavors. I thought I might pick up a half pack of djarum black while they still had them. I did not notice until a few min ago they say this on the pack:

Filtered clove cigars.

On the back it states: Each djarum contains .. premium cigar tabaccos ...

Nice...

<libertarian>
commerce prevails in the face of tyranny?
</libertarian>

SheerLuckHolmes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2009
Tempe, Az
I miss my country :(
I am no so naive to think some in some other era we were perfect. We have always had our problems.

That being said,I can't see the path we are on going any place good.

Mark Twain once said, We [in the U.S.] have the best government money can buy. Thank the lord that we don't get all that we pay for.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Is anyone else sick of them using Flavor as an excuse to ban the whole product? I think its all based off of money.. They cant make money off us anymore and Mr. Phillip Morris is very angry he is loosing his money...

But there is so so much flavored caffeine available for taxing and those sugar products..... my my my....

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Does anyone know if the ban will include RY4?

Dave

It probably will. RY4 has caramel flavorings which clearly entice children :nah: but don't worry, i'm sure if that ban goes into effect on e-cigs someone here will figure out a recipe for that flavor and post it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread