New York just banned flavored e-cigs, starting immediately

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Here in Michigan the ban is in force and seems to apply only to sale of flavored premixed eliquid. I believe it's legal to buy hardware and all the individual DIY ingredients in or out of state for personal use. I'm still amazed at how many vapers resist DIY.

I've learned to enjoy 50/50 12mg nic with just 1% flavor, just enough to cover the taste of the other inredients. It's almost unflavored for practical purposes. That wouldn't discourage kids from vaping. If everybody vaped zero nic, even then, the kids would stay interested. But if there was no visible vapor the kids would have zero interest.

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas
Here in Michigan the ban is in force and seems to apply only to sale of flavored premixed eliquid. I believe it's legal to buy hardware and all the individual DIY ingredients in or out of state for personal use. I'm still amazed at how many vapers resist DIY.

I've learned to enjoy 50/50 12mg nic with just 1% flavor, just enough to cover the taste of the other inredients. It's almost unflavored for practical purposes. That wouldn't discourage kids from vaping. If everybody vaped zero nic, even then, the kids would stay interested. But if there was no visible vapor the kids would have zero interest.

Look at how many people refuse to cook, and spend so much money on dining out every night. I think the same thing applies to DIY.

mgordon1100

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2011
A, A
Forgive me if this has been mentioned, but Michigan has banned flavors as well. The place I order from has been jumping through hoops to keep the supply going. They sent out an email, with a 55% discount code on Monday. I jumped on that. I called them yesterday, because they hadn't shipped yet. He told me that the flavor ban went into place and they were trying to figure out how to legally get around that. They're shipping flavors as a side to the flavorless liquids. I don't have a centrifuge, so this kind of sucks. But it's better than nothing. I really don't want to pay full price for liquid that I've got to mix myself, so it looks like it's going to be back to the good old days of mixing my own. My biggest fear is the online companies will be backlogged on concentrated nics.

mgordon1100

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2011
A, A
Not only the tobacco companies, but for the legalization of MJ. Vaping threatens both. For obvious reasons, cigarette sales are hurting. But the legalization is hurt as well, if they actually concentrated on the truth of the illnesses. The public still thinks our old school nicquid is to blame. If they knew the truth, they would push legalization back.

• Agree
Reactions: Iron Molly

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Forgive me if this has been mentioned, but Michigan has banned flavors as well. The place I order from has been jumping through hoops to keep the supply going. They sent out an email, with a 55% discount code on Monday. I jumped on that. I called them yesterday, because they hadn't shipped yet. He told me that the flavor ban went into place and they were trying to figure out how to legally get around that. They're shipping flavors as a side to the flavorless liquids. I don't have a centrifuge, so this kind of sucks. But it's better than nothing. I really don't want to pay full price for liquid that I've got to mix myself, so it looks like it's going to be back to the good old days of mixing my own. My biggest fear is the online companies will be backlogged on concentrated nics.
All that's needed for an individual is put a few liters of 100mg in the freezer. May be pick up a few extra mods and rebuildable atomizers. You don't have to use them unless and until they are needed. I'm in michigan. I sleep better knowing the day to day news doesn't effect me, as it hasn't for 4 1/2 years. You might never use the stash. It's cheap insurance.

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
that's the rub. Your right thing is different then theirs. See how that works?
That's right and that's how it should be. What's right for me might be all wrong for you. I appreciated a comment from a non-vaper from SF who said she tried vaping to quit cigarettes but didn't like it but thinks it's wrong to tell people what they can and cannot smoke. It all gets back to controlling people, telling them what they can't eat or do to their own bodies. Hell, it pains me to watch a friend eat her way to death but telling her to stop is futile. The best thing I can do is just be a good friend and maybe a good influence.

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
I wonder what will happen with vendors like My Vapor Store and Breazy. Can;t find any source on whether online sales are in this "emergency executive order" that couldn't wait until the legislature was back in session.
MA is prohibiting online sales but frankly I don't understand how that can work. How does our governor punish outside vendors who are legal in their own state?

I recently got an email from Vista Vapors stating they can no longer sell to MA residents. On their website is also a blog where they are saying goodbye to their Vermont customers. Apparently, they're complying. On the other hand, I recently placed an order from my "go to" vendor and received it with no adieu. I'm not mentioning names because I don't want to jinx anything, lol.

mgordon1100

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2011
A, A
May be pick up a few extra mods and rebuildable atomizers.
When I get a chance, I'm going go back and buy a mech. Should never break. Maybe another mod as well. It's just like the old days again. Those of us who began this journey shouldn't ever be out, or forced to buy from China. It's just very sad to see this day come.

Watch this, if you hadn't seen it.

Ms. Porter of Wisconsin, is very articulate on the subject. This committee, on the other hand, was a real eye opener on the state of Capital Hill. Repeatedly stating "we don't know", they sure had opinions that went against the facts that Ms. Porter brought to the forum. They wouldn't hear a word she had to say after inviting her. I listened to her radio show, where she said they denied her experts, that she suggested be invited. America is not what we used to know.

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
When I get a chance, I'm going go back and buy a mech. Should never break. Maybe another mod as well. It's just like the old days again. Those of us who began this journey shouldn't ever be out, or forced to buy from China. It's just very sad to see this day come.

Watch this, if you hadn't seen it.

Ms. Porter of Wisconsin, is very articulate on the subject. This committee, on the other hand, was a real eye opener on the state of Capital Hill. Repeatedly stating "we don't know", they sure had opinions that went against the facts that Ms. Porter brought to the forum. They wouldn't hear a word she had to say after inviting her. I listened to her radio show, where she said they denied her experts, that she suggested be invited. America is not what we used to know.

Ya got that right. I wonder how New Hampshire (Live Free or Die) is doing with this ban? I already have friends in other states who said I can have my orders sent to them. This is insane.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I received an email from Vaping Watch that sells juice, and will continue to do so regardless of state bans
Vaping watch policy.JPG

As to enforcement, the state can go and register a complaint with the FTC against a seller who violates their laws. I don't know what the FTC relies on to take action against that seller, but some mechanism does exist. Of course they have to catch the seller, likely through stings, as they can't inspect US mail deliveries coming into the state.

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
I received an email from Vaping Watch that sells juice, and will continue to do so regardless of state bans
View attachment 843017

As to enforcement, the state can go and register a complaint with the FTC against a seller who violates their laws. I don't know what the FTC relies on to take action against that seller, but some mechanism does exist. Of course they have to catch the seller, likely through stings, as they can't inspect US mail deliveries coming into the state.
Thanks Eskie, that's helpful and interesting. So in my case, someone at the post office would have to recognize my package as being sent from an ecig supplier and report it? What would happen next? The FTC notifies my supplier and I get a knock on my door, lol? Can you imagine me having my juice confiscated? From my dead, cold hands.......Eskie, catch you later, I need some coffee.

Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Thanks Eskie, that's helpful and interesting. So in my case, someone at the post office would have to recognize my package as being sent from an ecig supplier and report it? What would happen next? The FTC notifies my supplier and I get a knock on my door, lol? Can you imagine me having my juice confiscated? From my dead, cold hands.......Eskie, catch you later, I need some coffee.
Nah, they can't come after you. But they will target the retailer if they identify them. There are no bans on personal use or possession in any state or federal regulation or proposed regulations, even under deeming rules if and when enacted.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
So is it a ban on selling flavor juices or are they going to try to enforce not allowing citizens to vape flavors?

I foresee a lot of vape shops relocating to the surrounding borders of NY state.

Yep. Back when fireworks were illegal in Ga, we'd drive to Alabama and stock up for New Years. Just over the state line there were multiple fireworks stores. We'd usually take the long route back from Panama City Beach to do that in the Summer for 4th of July.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Now I'm feel like going all rebel here. I feel like heading over to Central Park, sit down by the Band shell, start chucking clouds and see how long it takes for the Man to show up and write me a ticket.

When that happens, you need to point out the guy who's cooking on a portable grill. Wait, that's probably already illegal in NYC ... Dang.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... They're shipping flavors as a side to the flavorless liquids. I don't have a centrifuge, so this kind of sucks. But it's better than nothing. ...

I Don't have a Centrifuge either. Just like None of the B&M e-Cigarette Shops that I know.

But that Hasn't Effected me from making Flavored e-Liquids for the last 8 years or so. Or those B&M's.

jwbnyc

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
Now I'm feel like going all rebel here. I feel like heading over to Central Park, sit down by the Band shell, start chucking clouds and see how long it takes for the Man to show up and write me a ticket.

They probably will.

There is a city ordinance that basically states vaping is not allowed anywhere smoking is not allowed and smoking is not allowed in parks.

Not that that should stop you.

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
They probably will.

There is an city ordinance that basically states vaping is not allowed anywhere smoking is not allowed and smoking is not allowed in parks.

Not that that should stop you.

Oh, I know. No smoking or vaping in any public park. I just want to see if someone really takes the time to enforce it.

I do expect some dirty looks and at least one person to come up and lecture me on how dangerous that stuff is and it's worse than smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread