Cig-a-likes Do we need them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinghorna

Jul 12, 2012
South UK
I had somewhat of a revelation on the way to work tonight about the need for cig-a-likes. I always thought the we used them at first as they are the same size as a real cig and this in turn makes the change easier to deal with, but they quickly seam to be a weak device.
But now, after seeing a friend choke on my new VV device I now think we need the cig-a-like also for people to get used to vaping (we must vape differently to smoking)

meeems

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2011
Wisconsin
never did a cig'alike, oddly enough, went straight for a kgo, still use it every now and then, but my Provari v2 is my everything. heh.
I see them at the gas stations, and i kinda chuckle, they really are cute, but the flavors i hear are god awful. My brother actually bought one the other day, and this is after i had just bought him a Woodvil. Can you believe that? so there you go, some like them better, even after having a ferrari. weird. I think they're good for people who have no clue about the ecf, or ecigs and just went into to buy smokes at the gas station, then saw them and bought one. This usually takes them to ecf eventually, as the curiousity makes them search for information.

KDude

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2012
Texas
I have mods, and still like cig devices. I don't use them because I don't know better. I use them because I like them. I also think most mod configurations make me look desperate. What does that say about me that I'd need some big tube device to feed a nicotine habit? I want to look as casual as possible if out and about. In fact, I don't want to look like anything. I don't want any attention at all.

Actually, my sweet spot is more cigar like (I have some fat 510 sticks and a new ecab that falls under this category). My cig like devices are KR8s, at 280mah. That's still pretty handy too. I don't see the need for VV at this point. It's cool, but if a juice isn't good at 3.7 ish, then it sucks anyways.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    How would you know what "good" is if you have nothing to compare it to? How would you know when something was "better"?

I kind of get a chuckle out of some of the "fan boy" stuff when it is the only device they have ever tried.
    It's not just PV's tho, the same thing is true of atties and cartos. Even as a semi experienced vaper, the first time I tried a HH-357 atty I got nic sick in a big way. I simply didn't comprehend that twice the vapor cloud = twice the nicotine.

Myk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    I'd say they are needed just to convert some smokers.
    Some people want the feel.

I smoked kings, when I figured out I was burning most away in an ashtray I switched to 100s. The change was quite drastic. Later kings were completely foreign.
    If I couldn't switch between cigarette sizes how do you expect someone to go from a cigarette to an eGo-C size or even larger?

JENerationX

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 25, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Hell yes, we need them. I never would have started vaping without being able to find a cig-alike. I thought mods were for crazy people making far too much of their "hobby". This isn't a hobby... it's a habit, why would you need something the size of a mag lite to get a little nicotine fix? Why would you want people staring at you etc. etc. etc.

Now, once I got over the crappy performance of my kit (a 901 I think) and the atty died after about a week. (you have to clean it?)... I got online, looked at youtube reviews, and found the SI Volts (THANKS Steeljan). Ahhhhh better performance. I then looked for better battery life and moved up to something bigger (Volt X2s).

I now have a Zen mini for two reasons. I wanted something I could vape all day and not worry about any juice eating the tank.... and it was offered in the auction to benefit Twygg and I have a very personal vendetta against cancer. I LOVE my Zen. It's fabulous. I'm also never going to take it to girl's night out. For that, I take my 78mms. Nobody asks 500 questions, AND I don't have to worry about dropping one, losing it, etc. If I do, it's about an $11 replacement part with the forum discounts.

Conclusion...... there's definitely a place for the cig-alikes.

Orobas

Equine Disrespect
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 3, 2012
    Jarhead City
    as much as most semi-experienced vaper retrospectively loathes their first overpriced and under powered kit, they're a necessary step, I think, to bigger and better things. They're a visible, accessible, and low maintenance revelation to the fact that there are satisfying alternatives to cigarettes.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 14, 2012
    U.S.
    They are definitely needed. I would not have started if all there was were these weird looking, complicated things, I just want to go and "light up" and go. Thats what I thought when I finally got the idea of going smokeless. I of course like most of us, I started looking around at all the options and the desire to have something that had a longer battery life. Some people out there just dont want to be bothered dripping the carto all the time and all the complications of getting tanks, and tanks with attys etc. My brother who has some neurological problems doesnt want and cant go thru filling cartos and changing etc. For him the ease of popping a prefilled carto and using it till it no longer vapes is all he could ever handle. At least people are getting off cigarettes and getting healthy. I think even with all the limitations there are with the cigarette looking ones, they serve a purpose. Heck, if they could come up with a small cigarette looking PV that offered the ease and variety as the better PVs , I would love it. But I love my KGO, and my tank etc. and have my eyes set on something more advanced in the next few months.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
    Senior Moderator
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 15, 2011
    I didn't quit with a mini, started out with an ego type pv. I was a pretty heavy smoker and a mini wouldn't have been a good fit for me to start with. You need to pick out the pv that will help you do that- if that's your goal.

Now that I've been off cigs for almost 2 years, I do use the mini if I walk the dog or go shopping, or a picnic and don't want to be real conspicuous. My addiction is nowhere what it was and it works for me.

Adam the Aussie

ECF Veteran
    Jun 26, 2011
    Australia
    I'm actually going to go in reverse and pick up some of the 808 gear. If I'm going to out to a club or whatever, even the KGO is too big. I'll just have to carry a few extra batteries and cartos. Also, I understand the voltage on an 808 is on par with ego (unlike the 510 cig-a-likes).

Voltage on an 808 is higher than an Ego. Of course the final vape depends on carto and juice choice, but all things being equal, you'll get a better vape from an 808 than you would from an Ego.

nanovapr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 15, 2011
    Catatonic State, USA
    I have never used a cigalike, nor an automatic. I think they have a valid place, to attract smokers to being NotSmokers. Smoking is a complex addiction, the form factor is part of it for many.

Beyond that? Not so much. No matter what the color of the LED< I don't want to even look like I am smoking a cigarette.

Last edited:

dragonbone

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 21, 2009
    Somewhere
    I have lots of mods but love my automatic mini KR808D's.

Yes, they definitely are needed. They are portable, small, non attention grabbing and quite powerful enough with a good carto and good juice. Not everyone wants or needs a giant, heavy, pipe bomb look-alike - especially most newbies.

Now I want one of those awesome new KR808d PCC's that charge two batteries an hold several cartos. Less stuff to throw in my bag.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread