E2 Rev 5 Suggestion: CoiledWick Replacement Design?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krickster

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2009
texas
www.thecommerceguild.com
510 E2 XL

Here's a design for ya!

A design with a replaceable coiled wick.

This design would simply make the coil itself portable (replaceable, with attached wick). The coil and wick are the 2 main problems with cartos in general. The gunk, cleaning, etc.. They are also the cheapest components of the carto. If one could simply replace the 2 as a cheap single snap in attachment, then who cares if your carto gets gunked, dirty or doesn't wick anymore after 2 refills.

Rather than have the contact leads come up and over (as the coil), you would have contact grooves on the cup that connect as they do currently on the stem and fitting.

The cup slits could be fitted with contact lining and the coil would be terminated on each end with a small ring (snuggly crimped?). Snap the 2 ring ends of the CoiledWick into the slit contacts and ready to go. (Of course, the "Christmas Tree Light bulb" lead\post idea would be different design... see below.)

You order 50 pack of coil wicks (full wick with coil attached that "snaps" into the contacts) and simply unsnap old one and snap in the new one into the contacts of the cup.

This will eliminate the need to constantly clean and mess with these damn things.

"Christmas tree design"
Or a lead post contact. Christmas tree lights bulb type design comes to mind ;-) Have an affixed coil on the wick that has 2 downward posts or ends. Simply feed the wick ends into the carto and plug those coil ends into 2 contact holes in the cup!

Business Interest? Sell the cartos for more and sell the replacement coil wicks for 50 = $10 or something.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Krickster

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2009
texas
www.thecommerceguild.com
I think one problem would be where the wick connects to the carto electrically. The contact points would gunk up with juice and/or oxidize resulting in bad contact.

True, although I would think that quick cleaning or slight scraping of the contacts would be easier than what we are doing now. Plus, the added effect of
"snapping" in the new CoiledWick would scrape and connect anyway (most of the time).

The cup slits could be fitted with contact lining and the coil would be terminated on each end with a small ring (snuggly crimped?). Snap the 2 ring ends of the CoiledWick into the slit contacts and ready to go. (Of course, the "Christmas Tree Light bulb" lead\post idea would be different design.)

Hell, then you could even double the price of the cartos, because they can be reused dozens of times before the contacts falter or something else goes bad. Charge a small amount for packages of CoiledWick replacements (since the production cost would be minimal) and everyone is happy unsnapping and snapping new ones.

Last edited:

Krickster

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2009
texas
www.thecommerceguild.com
I also like v1John's replaceable cup idea, the more I think about it. Only concern would be the cost factor of the replaceable cup (threaded contact cup + coil + wick).

With the CoiledWick, one could charge 5-10 each for the carto and sell the CoiledWicks for pennies and in packs. Shipping costs would also be nill for even a 50 pack.

At least thought is going in the right direction --> Inexpensive portability.

v1John

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2010
va
I think one problem would be where the wick connects to the carto electrically. The contact points would gunk up with juice and/or oxidize resulting in bad contact.

Would it be too expensive to use gold plated connectors? They would be small, like IC chip leg sockets.
I wouldn't mind paying 3 to 5 dollars for a carto that can be maintained and re-used.

(By the way, I think the R4 version of the E2 is final, so the thread probably means the E3 since E3 comes after E2.)

v1John

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2010
va
The rca jack is back in style too, and I might be making my modes with gold plated jacks.
microcig will likely keep innovating too, I mean what else would it do? so I wonder what the next version
will be like, (we could just call it the 'next version' it doesn't matter if it's e2-r5 or e3 or whatever)

Isn't it so important to make the next one wider? how wide do you all think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread