Eleaf iStick : part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiburonfirst

They call me 'Tibs"
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
Sweet Vapes only honors a 30 day warranty on isticks. Evape.us and others do the full 90 day iSmoka manufacturer's warranty.

hey, bike! i know it's friday but i don't think warranty is much of a concern when it comes to the silly cone! :laugh: :wub:

aznnp77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2014
Virginia
Okay so i've read a ton about the istick and i just want a confirmation from you guys if thats ok :)
I'm personally a replaceable battery kind of guy, but i have a friend that needs an upgrade from a joyetech pen. She doesn't want to fiddle with batteries and chargers, so i'm thinking of recommending her the istick 30. She can get it at 24$ from FT or 55.8$ (!!!) from a local vapeshop.
Question is, can i in good faith order the istick 30 from FT and be confident that it will not cause her problems? She is tight with money and i'd hate it if i recommended her something that turns out defective, or god forbid hazardous. Is there some autofire test like with the cloupor?

Cheers!

Never ordered anything from FT before, but iStick 30w isn't that expensive anymore. VapeNW is selling it for $24.99, plus like 6 bucks shipping though. I'm gunshy on pulling the trigger on an iStick 40w for $32 shipped for right now.

aznnp77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2014
Virginia
Continuing from my previous post, I'm debating on getting an iStick 40w right now for $32 shipped. The company I'm going to buy it from only has silver and black in stock. I already have a 20w iStick in silver, and a 30w iStick in black.

I use both isticks still, but primarily just the black one as my main battery. I use the 20w as a secondary flavor with a rebuilt mini protank. The 40w would retire the 20w out of the rotation. I don't use anything other than a protank on it due to the wonky firing pin, and the wonky voltage (I just keep it on the lowest setting).

My concern is that I know for a fact that many people are having issues with their 50w iSticks, so I want to make sure the 40w doesn't have the same issues. Since the 40w is modeled after the 20w and 30w, my best guess is that it'll be fine though.

Also, there are so many iStick-like devices now, I'm thinking maybe I should try something else in a similar price range so I don't have three iSticks. Kbox mini is cheap and cool, but not an option due to the non-spring loaded firing pin. I've also given consideration to the Cool Fire 4, Sigelei mini, Smok M80, among other things.

I just don't want to lose the form factor of the iStick though. I like it being really small, but the 40w is a tad bigger than the 30w I believe. I don't sub ohm, and I charge my stuff regularly, so I don't need the size and battery life of something like the MVP 3.0.

I'm waiting on some istick 40w reviews to make sure it isn't buggy, and maybe for the grey one to come back in stock.

speedemon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2009
Chicagoland
Have the issues with atty connection been better with newer version of these isticks. My mom prefers these no batteries for her to fus with and smaller she has wrecked the threads on 2 of the older 20w versions now,so is the newer 20w or 30w have any better threads now ?

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Have the issues with atty connection been better with newer version of these isticks. My mom prefers these no batteries for her to fus with and smaller she has wrecked the threads on 2 of the older 20w versions now,so is the newer 20w or 30w have any better threads now ?

Better... but I've had other problems - 'protection' warnings that shut down the batt if the wattage is over @12W's. I've decided on using Heatvape Defenders for this size of batt. So far all Defenders I have, have been problem free and the two rounded sides fit my hand better.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
Had a strange problem with my iStick 50. Had it about 6 weeks, trouble free. I left it on a charger last night, using a wall powered 4 port USB charging device in a 2A port. The cable is a Monoprice "double shielded high speed" data cable. I've been using that cable for charging the iStick for some time.

When I got up this morning the iStick appeared to be fully charged but I could not easily remove the micro USB connector. Eventually it came out, after applying enough force I was concerned about breaking the connector. It was stuck tight.

Looking at the two connections with a magnifying glass, the cable's micro USB plug looks hosed, with 2 contacts either burned off or missing. Or there is just gnarly junk blocking the view?

Interestingly, I tried a different USB cable and the iStick 50 is showing the charge icon (it was not with the old cable).

I am certainly "guilty" of leaking juice down the side of the iStick. Loose juice dripping down mods is just part of vaping life. I don't know if that is related to this.

This just cements the idea I have that Micro USB = EVIL. Sigh. I much prefer my Kanger KBox Mini, only because I can charge its 18650 in a standard charger, buy as many 650's as I need (at 5 bucks a pop for good Samsungs) and never have to plug a USB cable into it. But it does narrow the field of acceptable mods considerably. I think this is hopefully the last USB charged built in battery mod I get.

aznnp77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2014
Virginia

Yes, the threading on the 20w was known to be sub-par. In order to protect the threading, I always kept an ego-510 adapter connected to it. With the 30w, the threading became stainless steel, and that problem was fixed. I've been using mine without an ego adapter for about 3-4 months without any issues. The threading on the 40w is suppose to be even better somehow.

If the threading is still salvageable on some of the 20w isticks, get an ego adapter on there as soon as you can to preserve what you have left.

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
there are so many iStick-like devices now, I'm thinking maybe I should try something else in a similar price range so I don't have three iSticks.

I just don't want to lose the form factor of the iStick though. I like it being really small,

So far all Defenders I have, have been problem free and the two rounded sides fit my hand better.

As Kent mentioned...the Heatvape Defender is very close to the "form factor" of the iStick.

It gets pretty high praise from many on the "Little itty bitty mods" thread.

Heatvape Defender 36W VV / VW Variable Wattage E - cig Box Mod with Digital Display OLED Screen - 510 / eGO Thread-29.35 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com

aznnp77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2014
Virginia
Anybody been using their iStick 40w for a while? I'm just concerned about it's reliability. I'm getting this as a gift for a new vaper, and I don't want it to get screwed up.

I don't think it matter about the TC cuz he's using stock coils, but I'm afraid the with a new limiter on the thing, it would be more proned to get an error if you can understand.

I keep getting reminded of my Sony surround sound which bit the big one randomly one day, and was stuck in protect mode.

Reactions: TrollDragon

Bikenstein

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
The Lab
Well, my 50W stopped firing this morning. I was hoping to get 3-6 months out of it, but I only got 6 weeks. At least it didn't explode and burn down my house. Long live Provari (I have 2...) sigh
I'm working on 2 50s now and have some donor parts coming. They have a 90 day warranty.

Bikenstein

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
The Lab
The new Evod TC tank works great! :)
evod-tc-011-600x182-jpg.475042

Last edited:

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
Well, my 50W stopped firing this morning. I was hoping to get 3-6 months out of it, but I only got 6 weeks. At least it didn't explode and burn down my house. Long live Provari (I have 2...) sigh

It's Alive! It fired up this morning. Stay tuned for "As the iStick Turns"......

ETA: It stayed alive only long enough to post this. Back to the laboratory...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread