FDA FDA identifies 92 events of overheating/fires/explosions from 2009 to 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
FDA identifies 92 events of vapor products (i.e. batteries) overheating, causing fire or exploding in the US from 2009 through September 2015 (including 50 events that were reported in the news media), identifies 47 mostly minor injuries, number of events peaked at 36 in 2013 (although 24 events were identified in first nine months of 2015).
Electronic nicotine delivery systems: overheating, fires and explosions -- Rudy and Durmowicz -- Tobacco Control

Year Events
2009 1
2010 0
2011 1
2012 5
2013 36
2014 25
2015 24

I requested the full text version from the author, and she sent it to me.

Of the 92 cases, at least 11 were overheated products (that didn't cause any fire or explosion).

Last edited:

MudVaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2015
index.html

Try this. Interesting stuff.

To get to the nitty gritty, you have to click the box "statistics". It will take you to another FEMA page, where you have to click "data" and a page with all kinds of charts for causes of fires in homes, how many deaths attributed to cause of fire, etc.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Oh, let's REALLY put it in perspective!!

How many people pulled a flat screen TV onto their own heads? TENS OF THOUSANDS
How many people ran over their own foot with their lawnmower? THOUSANDS

Most likely, for every E-cig that malfunctioned, there are 100 people who shoved a pencil through their own eardrum.
Most likely, for every e-cig incident causing injury - INCLUDING user error, there are about 50 people who drilled through their own hand.

It would be interesting to know how many house or other building fires were caused by smoking during those years. Also, how many forest fires attributed to smoking? Trying to put things in perspective here..

BAN THE TV's!!!!
BAN THE PENCILS!!!
Think of the CHILDREN!!!
:eek::eek::eek:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
FDA identifies 92 events of vapor products (i.e. batteries) overheating, causing fire or exploding in the US from 2009 through September 2015 (including 50 events that were reported in the news media), identifies 47 mostly minor injuries, number of events peaked at 36 in 2013 (although 24 events were identified in first nine months of 2015).
Electronic nicotine delivery systems: overheating, fires and explosions -- Rudy and Durmowicz -- Tobacco Control

Year Events
2009 1
2010 0
2011 1
2012 5
2013 36
2014 25
2015 24

I requested the full text version from the author, and she sent it to me.

Of the 92 cases, at least 11 were overheated products (that didn't cause any fire or explosion).
I read a lot of ecig news including the injury accident reports. Almost all of them involve loose batteries with exposed terminals or mechanical mods and most of those involve young men.

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
According to an article on Consumer Reports from mid-2013, they claim "...that the CPSC has received 61 reports of phones overheating, arcing, or experiencing other such problems in the past few years."

This site has some pretty detailed (and injury-producing) cell phone battery explosions with pictures: (link broken): http://www.androidauthority. com/busting-the-myth-yes-cell-phones-can-explode-42582/

Look, I'm not trying to discredit the need for increased battery safety, and the information that will hopefully stop people from using a $2 lithium battery off eBay to power their .02 ohm cloud atty on a clone mech mod, but I certainly hope that the FDA isn't using this as a springboard for more and more regulation (and demonization) of e-cigarettes.... because lithium batteries can and have presented problems in MANY devices.

MudVaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2015
Here is a report about a teenager getting burned by a cell phone. I wonder how many other modern wonders injure people that don't get frequently reported about.

I also know someone personally who had a small house fire when their kindle caught on fire for no apparent reason.

13-year-old girl suffers severe burns from her cell phone

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
I read a lot of ecig news including the injury accident reports. Almost all of them involve loose batteries with exposed terminals or mechanical mods and most of those involve young men.
Most young men have "loose batteries" whether they vape or not.

I speak from my own experience. (Many years ago of course.)

MudVaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2015
Most young men have "loose batteries" whether they vape or not.

I speak from my own experience. (Many years ago of course.)

Hey, that's sexist. Having been young once, can testify that young females are not immune from the same thing. We just go at it from a different angle, lol.

pianoguy

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2009
Apple Valley, MN
I read an article from November that estimated there are 9 million regular e-cig users in the US. So 92 of these events (many of which have been caused by idiots) would mean that a little over 1/1000 of a percent (0.00001022222) of users have experienced such a problem. Add in the millions of other adults who have tried an e-cig at least once and the number gets much smaller. Pretty impressive safety profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread