RDA Good single-coil RDAs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarkin000

Jul 28, 2014
Pontiac, MI, USA
Like the title says, I am looking for good (and inexpensive, I ain't 'fraid of no clones) single coile RDAs.
I started on an Omega clone, kind of a PITA to build on, and am now using a Zenith V2 clone.
I guess my build skills just aren't up to par, I can't seem to get the coils to fire at the same time,
and I have a hard time getting the equal amounts of wick (rayon) in each coil.
I like clouds, but I don't venture below .5Ω, and am not interested in competitions.

I rock a Nemesis clone with a Sony VCT4, and .7Ω has been plenty, but I feel I am
not getting enough cloud to justify duals, so I'd like to see if I could get the same
performance and a little longer battery life out of a solid single coil build.

Opinions please! TIA :vapor: :)

Reactions: VirtualGod

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Like the title says, I am looking for good (and inexpensive, I ain't 'fraid of no clones) single coile RDAs.
I started on an Omega clone, kind of a PITA to build on, and am now using a Zenith V2 clone.
I guess my build skills just aren't up to par, I can't seem to get the coils to fire at the same time,
and I have a hard time getting the equal amounts of wick (rayon) in each coil.
I like clouds, but I don't venture below .5Ω, and am not interested in competitions.

I rock a Nemesis clone with a Sony VCT4, and .7Ω has been plenty, but I feel I am
not getting enough cloud to justify duals
, so I'd like to see if I could get the same
performance and a little longer battery life out of a solid single coil build.

Opinions please! TIA :vapor: :)

If you are using a mech,

then you need to figure out what ohms to use for the gauge of wire you are using.
for 28 gauge, I think that should be around 1.4, and with duals that puts you at 0.7, so if it's 28 gauge that you are using, then the problem is either the airflow or the wicking.

You also mention that the coils don't fire at the same time...... so maybe forget the other coil, and just work 1 coil; once you get one coil right, it's a matter of adding a second coil of exactly the same size.

tarkin000

Jul 28, 2014
Pontiac, MI, USA
If you are using a mech,

then you need to figure out what ohms to use for the gauge of wire you are using.
for 28 gauge, I think that should be around 1.4, and with duals that puts you at 0.7, so if it's 28 gauge that you are using, then the problem is either the airflow or the wicking.

You also mention that the coils don't fire at the same time...... so maybe forget the other coil, and just work 1 coil; once you get one coil right, it's a matter of adding a second coil of exactly the same size.

I never thought to ohm out the coils individually, I just use Steam Engine, and then
check the ohms on my Vamo after it/they is/are mounted.

Yes, I am using 28 gauge, 2mm 'touching' microcoil is my preferred build, comes out to about 10 wraps for each.

The wicking is a pretty standard affair, for rayon. 'Squeak', trim, wicks super well, no gunking.
The tails are just slightly unbalanced, one is a little thicker than the other.

I just tried playing with the hole placement - the Zenith has dual 'cyclops' holes (but no option for single mode), and moving them
in relation to the coils does change up the vape a bit. I think my build is wonky - after adjusting the airflow so that the holes were
no longer right on the coils, one coil began gunking instantly. Scraped right off with a screw driver, but maddening.

The Magma seems good, but looks like I'd have to find a way to block off one of the holes?
The Odin looks good, but $65 is out of my league.
The Plume Veil is a definite contender, as is the Atomic. I'm also looking at an Igo L.

Thanks all!

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
I just tried playing with the hole placement - the Zenith has dual 'cyclops' holes (but no option for single mode), and moving them in relation to the coils does change up the vape a bit.

You can do a single coil build on the Zenith. The sleeve has three slots - you use the opposing slots for dual coil builds and the middle slot for single coil builds. With single coil builds there's only a single cyclops hole as the opposing AFC slot is against the sleeve.

You can do a single coil build on the Zenith. The sleeve has three slots - you use the opposing slots for dual coil builds and the middle slot for single coil builds. With single coil builds there's only a single cyclops hole as the opposing AFC slot is against the sleeve.

My cheap V2 clone doesn't. Doesn't have delrin cap or slots/holes in posts, either :oops:

It does have the threaded top cap, and has knurled nuts instead of set screws.
It's worth what I paid for it, and does pretty well.

Now my Omega clone, OTOH...

tarkin000

Jul 28, 2014
Pontiac, MI, USA
i do all single coils on my OKR box mod right now. Plume Veil, Big Block 454, and the Veritas all perform extremely well in dual coil mode.

Did you mean the Plume, 454, and Veritas perform extremely well on single coils?
I know single coil builds can be done on the Veritas, I just thought it was more dual-coil oriented.

As an aside, I rebuilt my Omega clone with a single 28ga (6 wrap) 1.0Ω coil, and thinned the heck out
of the tails (I use rayon). BOOM. Stupid amounts of vapor.

So I am just plain wicking the Zenith wrong.

I still might get another dripper, though- they are tons of fun, and I am no sure I like how
high the coils sit in my Zenith.

Thanks all! :vapor: :)

Blackboar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Upper Marlboro, MD
The Magma seems good, but looks like I'd have to find a way to block off one of the holes?
The Odin looks good, but $65 is out of my leagu.
The Plume Veil is a definite contender, as is the Atomic. I'm also looking at an Igo L.

Thanks all!

The way I block off the unused airhole in my single coil Magma is to plug it with a piece of toothpick on the deck. Keeps leaking to a minimum.

tarkin000

Jul 28, 2014
Pontiac, MI, USA
Well, I've narrowed it down to the Magma and the Plume Veil.
The Plume Veil is in stock at my local B&M...

I also figured out what was wrong with my Zenith...
As is usually the case, it was operator error.
My builds were just bad.

I rebuilt with dual 1.0Ω, for a net of 0.5Ω, and rewicked, using thinner tails (per rayon SRP).
I made the mistake of pushing the coils down, so they sat below the air holes.
I was getting decent nic, and it was lapping up the juice, but the vapor was just not there.
Moved the coils back up to align with the air holes, BOOM, just about twice as much vapor as
my Omega single-coil build.

Probably RDA 101 for most of you guys, but I've only been playing with drippers for a month now. :oops:

Thanks for all the input!

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
I think you would know my recommendation. The flash e-vapor clone. The dripper is really really good. It's unique that the coil is on top of the screws and right in the mouthpiece air path. Just a few mm from the mouthpiece. Great flavor and vapor. Large capacity really. 20+ drops no problem unless you lay it on its side with air hole down. Air hole is 2mm with the screw out, and it's on the top portion of the cap not the bottom. The entire kits can be had for less than 30.00, pm me if you want source; stocks are getting low.. The plume has been a nightmare for me. Leaks like crazy unless you pull the cap and drip a small amount on the coil. Still leaks like a sieve. Very small capacity. Air vents are at the bottom even with the deck.. Leak leak.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread