Single coil rdas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
Everyone knows my favorite rda is the Cosmonaut. And I like the Layercake even more for flavor although no one else here likes the Layercake. My question is do single rdas like the new single coil Drop rda give better flavor then dual coils. And can u get as much vapor from a single coil rda? I dont see how u can get better flavor then the Layercake but people on here have told me u cant beat single coil rdas for flavor. Just curious what people think.

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
That singlecoil RDAs provide better flavor is more than debateable.
When it comes to flavor and cloud density, with a few exceptions I highly prefer dual- over singlecoil atties.
But in the end it all comes down to personal preference.
Ive owned pne cheap single coil rda. I didnt like it. Ive ran 1 coil in a dual coil rda and didnt like it. I like dual coils. I figure u might as well get all u can so I always run dual coils myself. Ive been told u can get just as much vapor from a single coil but I dont see how. I didnt get as much vapor when I ran single coils.

jim_87

Resident Forum Lurker
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2018
USA
Everyone knows my favorite rda is the Cosmonaut. And I like the Layercake even more for flavor although no one else here likes the Layercake. My question is do single rdas like the new single coil Drop rda give better flavor then dual coils. And can u get as much vapor from a single coil rda? I dont see how u can get better flavor then the Layercake but people on here have told me u cant beat single coil rdas for flavor. Just curious what people think.
I think whether single or dual coil setups give more flavor is subjective to what airflow each rda has as well as the type/ design of the coil, and also the wicking. My dual alpha braid coil radar rda gives just as good flavor as my single coil drop solo rda. It all depends.

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
I think whether single or dual coil setups give more flavor is subjective to what airflow each rda has as well as the type/ design of the coil, and also the wicking. My dual alpha braid coil radar rda gives just as good flavor as my single coil drop solo rda. It all depends.
Drop Solo. Thats the name I cudnt remember. I was think about getting one cause I liked the Drop. But if it doesnt give better flavor there's no point. I use 28×2+38 nichrome fused claptons 8 wrap on a 3mm bit. I get awesome flavor out the Layercake. It brings out all the key notes of the juice. Do fused claptons give the best flavor or is there another wire that is better? I was always told u cant beat fused claptons for flavor but Ill try another wire if its better.

jim_87

Resident Forum Lurker
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2018
USA
Drop Solo. Thats the name I cudnt remember. I was think about getting one cause I liked the Drop. But if it doesnt give better flavor there's no point. I use 28×2+38 nichrome fused claptons 8 wrap on a 3mm bit. I get awesome flavor out the Layercake. It brings out all the key notes of the juice. Do fused claptons give the best flavor or is there another wire that is better? I was always told u cant beat fused claptons for flavor but Ill try another wire if its better.
I've only used single wire, fused claptons, and alpha braid coil, all with great flavor. I don't think one is better than the other, they all have their strong points depending on the build or juice.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Considering how much more you like dual coils,chances that you like a single coil is rather slim imo.
Personally i've been using the recurve for about 2 weeks and get very nice flavor and vapor production.

Also i get better flavor from my simple round kanthal build than i ever got from claptons (then again ofc it's subjective for everyone).

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
I've only used single wire, fused claptons, and alpha braid coil, all with great flavor. I don't think one is better than the other, they all have their strong points depending on the build or juice.
Im going to have to look up alpha braid coils. Ive never heard of those. R they premade coils?

Reactions: stols001

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
Cloudproduction depends on coilmass and/or surface.
With most mainstream mods it is far simpler to fire up a dualcoil for a satisfying vape because of the mod's voltagelimitations.
Big beefy singlecoils with compareable surface have a far too high resistance, and thus need much more voltage to even come close to the same experience.

Flavor is more dependent on the outlay of the atty itself. Coilpositioning, airflow, doming of the cap, size of the chamber and the like.

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
Im going to have to look up alpha braid coils. Ive never heard of those. R they premade coils?
My fused claptons ohm out at.42. Thats why I use them. They give off great flavor and vapor and still ohm out high. Usually great flavor and vapor wire ohms out to low.

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
Cloudproduction depends on coilmass and/or surface.
With most mainstream mods it is far simpler to fire up a dualcoil for a satisfying vape because of the mod's voltagelimitations.
Big beefy singlecoils with compareable surface have a far too high resistance, and thus need much more voltage to even come close to the same experience.

Flavor is more dependent on the outlay of the atty itself. Coilpositioning, airflow, doming of the cap, size of the chamber and the like.
Yeah most thick wire ohms out to low. My fused claptons ohm out at .42. Thats why its all I use. I get great flavor and vapor and still ohm out high.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
Thickness of the wire is just a crutch, to keep resistance in acceptable dimensions.
Surface area is much more important for vapor production, so 28ga*3 is much more efficient than a single 22ga for example, because there's much more coilsurface in contact with the saturated cotton, although the resistance is about the same.

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
Thickness of the wire is just a crutch, to keep resistance in acceptable dimensions.
Surface area is much more important for vapor production, so 28ga*3 is much more efficient than a single 22ga for example, because there's much more coilsurface in contact with the saturated cotton, although the resistance is about the same.
Mine is 28×2+38 nichrome 8 wraps on a 3mm. Jeats up immediately, ohms out at .42, and has plenty of surface area. Wotofo.com is the only place that sells the wire I use.

Reactions: stols001

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
To me it's a balancing game between surface area and ramp up time.
I use dual coils, have used but not made some twisted fused claptons and a couple different fancy coils.
My go to is mixed twisted coils. I've had great satisfaction with dual coils made with 26g, 28g, and a flat .8x1 (I think) kanthal wire twisted pretty tight. 7 wraps 2.5 baby. 75 to 100 watts mmmm so much tasty warm vapor!
I've twisted up some monsters... All kinds of variations of different wire, nichrome mixed with kanthal is pretty if you dry fire it at very low wattage...
I did a single coil in a velocity clone once that was 3 24g wires, 8 wraps around 3 mm I think, but it had horrible ramp up and was a hot vape and stayed hot. Still have the coild because it colored in an interesting way even though it was just kanthal a1.
I have no idea what you'd call them but for a while I was twisting 2 wires together and then twisting that first twisted wire in the opposite direction, which is extremely interesting, makes a chain with open loops along it. Yes I've made dual coils for and rda out of that stuff. Not the best vape, but I encourage others to try this out if they haven't because it's fun :) .
Who else loves twisted wire ??

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
Thinner wire has its disadvantages for sure.
The thinner the wires, the faster they gunk up, they're much easier distorted during rewicking and they're overall a pita to work with.

That said I like those braided coils when fresh very much, because they work like an additional wicking that heats up, and rampup is nearly instant, but they gunk up way too fast for my tastes.
As I like sweet and thick juices, I'm pretty much settled for Ni80 28*3/36. Close enough flavorwise, rampup is still acceptable and I don't need to rewick every day.

I've never enjoyed simple lower gauge (28-24) twisted wires though, because claptons and/or parallel builds perform much better imo.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
I've never enjoyed simple lower gauge (28-24) twisted wires though, because claptons and/or parallel builds perform much better imo.
You may be correct, and to each their own of course, for me it's the ease of making them and they perform the way I like. Mostly. Haha!
Adding flat wire into the game was a nice thing for me. It brings up the flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread