Single coil rdas

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well I'm glad you both have things that are working. The issues with dual coils (for me) can be twofold, one I'm trying to get two coils mounted pretty evenly in a small space and 2) for my type of vaping, I'm putting a lot more metal in the build (even if simple round wire) to get to an acceptable resistance-- for me.

In your situation where you have pretty hefty coils and are also finding yourself with "ohms too low" on some of your gear, a nice, sub0hm geared single coil atomizer MIGHT help with that issue. If I want to beef up my vapor production I am far more likely to install a more exotic build into my single coil RTAs and get my flavor and/or clouds from the single coil build itself (which yes, can sometime involve raising wattage.)

I could see trying a single coil as useful--for you. You might love it or you might hate it and I would have no clue what atomizer in particular I'd recommend because I dont vape sub0hm. However, if you wind up wanting to get a single coil atomizer, well this situation is practically what clones are MADE for. You could ask for a couple clone suggestions from sub0hm vapers here, try them out, see what you think of the vape, and then decide if it is worth it to you to try the original if you wind up finding one you like. Etc.

Anna

diagrammatiks

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2018
The paranormal will fire down to at least .05. I love my paranormal. The only downside is that it's not a triade.

Just find what works for you. You have 2 attys that you really love.

I'm about to buy everything on Anthony's best of 2017 and 2018 lists because what I love is having more stuff.

do whatever makes you happy.

Reactions: stols001

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
Well I'm glad you both have things that are working. The issues with dual coils (for me) can be twofold, one I'm trying to get two coils mounted pretty evenly in a small space and 2) for my type of vaping, I'm putting a lot more metal in the build (even if simple round wire) to get to an acceptable resistance-- for me.

In your situation where you have pretty hefty coils and are also finding yourself with "ohms too low" on some of your gear, a nice, sub0hm geared single coil atomizer MIGHT help with that issue. If I want to beef up my vapor production I am far more likely to install a more exotic build into my single coil RTAs and get my flavor and/or clouds from the single coil build itself (which yes, can sometime involve raising wattage.)

I could see trying a single coil as useful--for you. You might love it or you might hate it and I would have no clue what atomizer in particular I'd recommend because I dont vape sub0hm. However, if you wind up wanting to get a single coil atomizer, well this situation is practically what clones are MADE for. You could ask for a couple clone suggestions from sub0hm vapers here, try them out, see what you think of the vape, and then decide if it is worth it to you to try the original if you wind up finding one you like. Etc.

Anna
What is vaping for sub ohm?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Some of my coils are 1.8, @Ephraim Cooper , LOL I also save my battery but really it's just the way I prefer to vape. You're kind of in the middle of sub0hm, kind of middle of the road which a lot of people are. With that said, you've talked about a lot of builds that were much lower than that, I think?

If it wasn't purposeful and you like your coils around 0.5, I think a nice exotic single build with enough wire mass to give you flavor without having to go nuts with a dual build might be kind of nice for you, actually. With that said, I still don't know which single coil RDA to recommend you, because I have actually used such atomizers 0% of the time.

Anna

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
Some of my coils are 1.8, @Ephraim Cooper , LOL I also save my battery but really it's just the way I prefer to vape. You're kind of in the middle of sub0hm, kind of middle of the road which a lot of people are. With that said, you've talked about a lot of builds that were much lower than that, I think?

If it wasn't purposeful and you like your coils around 0.5, I think a nice exotic single build with enough wire mass to give you flavor without having to go nuts with a dual build might be kind of nice for you, actually. With that said, I still don't know which single coil RDA to recommend you, because I have actually used such atomizers 0% of the time.

Anna
What kind of wire do u use that ohms put a 1.8. Ive decided not to get a single coil rda. Im sticking with my Layercake cause I already love the flavor and vapor it puts out. I was just curious about single coils cause a lot of people on here swear by them.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I have torched tiny round wire builds before, by accidentally turning up the wattage, one of mine just snapped in two at 50 watts. Good times.

However, I typically use 28 gauge stainless steel wire and keep my resistance around 1.0 usually, to be honest with RTAs. Some of my 1.8 coils are drop in manufactured coils.

I'm glad you are sticking with what you like, and what is working for you, etc.

Anna

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
I have torched tiny round wire builds before, by accidentally turning up the wattage, one of mine just snapped in two at 50 watts. Good times.

However, I typically use 28 gauge stainless steel wire and keep my resistance around 1.0 usually, to be honest with RTAs. Some of my 1.8 coils are drop in manufactured coils.

I'm glad you are sticking with what you like, and what is working for you, etc.

Anna
Yeah Im pretty set in my ways on what I like. But I love getting other vapors input. Thats why I like this forum. Its educational.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Yeah Im pretty set in my ways on what I like. But I love getting other vapors input. Thats why I like this forum. Its educational.
Once we find our "sweet spot", what works for us individually, we tend to become set in our ways.

I've been pretty much using the same coil resistance and wattage range for about 3 years. 0.5 - 0.6 ohm coil resistance and 30 watts of power. That's my "sweet spot".

When I first began vaping in 2012, I was a high ohm, low voltage vaper. 2.0 - 3.0 ohm cartomizers using 3.6 volts on a Provari regulated mod. When I worked for a vape shop in 2014, I began building my own coils and gradually got into sub-ohm vaping on both a mechanical and regulated mod. So my vaping preference did change from what I started with, but I'm pretty settled and satisfied with my current setup.

Last edited:

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
Once we find our "sweet spot", what works for us individually, we tend to become set in our ways.

I've been pretty much using the same coil resistance and wattage range for about 3 years. 0.5 - 0.6 ohm coil resistance and 30 watts of power. That's my "sweet spot".

When I first began vaping in 2012, I was a high ohm, low voltage vaper. 2.0 - 3.0 ohm cartomizers using 3.6 volts on a Provari regulated mod. When I worked for a vape shop in 2014, I began building my own coils and gradually got into sub-ohm vaping. So my vaping preference did change from what I started with, but I'm pretty settled and satisfied with my current setup.
U only vape at 30 watts? How much vapor do u get? Do u use a high nicotine juice?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
U only vape at 30 watts? How much vapor do u get? Do u use a high nicotine juice?
I get plenty of vapor for me. In no way would I consider myself a cloud chaser, that's not why I vape. I use between 3mg - 6mg nicotine. When I first began to vape I was using 18mg of nic, so I've been able to cut down on my nic dependence with sub-ohm vaping.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread