Single coil rdas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
Thinner wire has its disadvantages for sure.
The thinner the wires, the faster they gunk up, they're much easier distorted during rewicking and they're overall a pita to work with.

That said I like those braided coils when fresh very much, because they work like an additional wicking that heats up, and rampup is nearly instant, but they gunk up way too fast for my tastes.
As I like sweet and thick juices, I'm pretty much settled for Ni80 28*3/36. Close enough flavorwise, rampup is still acceptable and I don't need to rewick every day.

I've never enjoyed simple lower gauge (28-24) twisted wires though, because claptons and/or parallel builds perform much better imo.
Ur coils arent much different then mine. Urs is 28×3 mines 28×2 both r nichrome.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I get better flavor from MY compact single coil than I did MY large dual coil attys. But that is heavily dependant on which you are comparing. I have used a lot of duals, and never came across one that puts out the same intensity of flavor as a gr1. But when compared to a pulse 22, a good dual has preformed better.

Airflow (amount and direction), open space inside the atty, coils, coil position, wicking (position, material and density), the composition of the ejuice, and choice of drip tip can all affect the end results. No body can say if one classification of atty is always going to beat another.

With my build, and the atty I chose, I do produce more flavor and vapor out of my single coil than my buddies dual that he runs super low ohm on a 4 battery mod at very high wattage. It always bothers him a whole lot. I think this is partly because of their lack of attention to their builds and wicking. They buy pre made coils and don't pay any mind to efficiency, where I build my own coils specifically to optimize the performance of my atty.

I also have a 30mm dual coil tank that is a fog machine, puts out stupid amounts of vapor and still has good flavor (not as intense as my gr1, but better than some single coil RDAs). So again, it all comes down to design and how well you can build it.

And about best wire type, finding the right wire type, coil position, and coil size for a particular atty is the key. One wire type isn't going to be best for everything, since everything is different and doesn't interact with the coil the same way. Some attys don't supply enough airflow to the coil to properly cool some wire types, but others will. Some attys will supply direct airflow, some indirect, and others will mix the two. All of these will require different build techniques and potentially different wire types to maximize preformance.

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
I get better flavor from MY compact single coil than I did MY large dual coil attys. But that is heavily dependant on which you are comparing. I have used a lot of duals, and never came across one that puts out the same intensity of flavor as a gr1. But when compared to a pulse 22, a good dual has preformed better.

Airflow (amount and direction), open space inside the atty, coils, coil position, wicking (position, material and density), the composition of the ejuice, and choice of drip tip can all affect the end results. No body can say if one classification of atty is always going to beat another.

With my build, and the atty I chose, I do produce more flavor and vapor out of my single coil than my buddies dual that he runs super low ohm on a 4 battery mod at very high wattage. It always bothers him a whole lot. I think this is partly because of their lack of attention to their builds and wicking. They buy pre made coils and don't pay any mind to efficiency, where I build my own coils specifically to optimize the performance of my atty.

I also have a 30mm dual coil tank that is a fog machine, puts out stupid amounts of vapor and still has good flavor (not as intense as my gr1, but better than some single coil RDAs). So again, it all comes down to design and how well you can build it.

And about best wire type, finding the right wire type, coil position, and coil size for a particular atty is the key. One wire type isn't going to be best for everything, since everything is different and doesn't interact with the coil the same way. Some attys don't supply enough airflow to the coil to properly cool some wire types, but others will. Some attys will supply direct airflow, some indirect, and others will mix the two. All of these will require different build techniques and potentially different wire types to maximize preformance.
U said u had a tank 30mm. Is it a rta?

Reactions: stols001

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Question.....you've had the Layercake for awhile and you really like it. You've stated that nothing touches it for flavor and that it even brings out the subtle notes of your juices. Why are you so concerned with what other people think? Stop doubting yourself. Finding an RDA that checks all the boxes for you is very difficult. It sounds like you found yours. So what if others don't like it. I don't give 2 VooPoos what you think of my gear. It works for me and that's what matters. Use that Layercake until you're sick of it. No sense throwing money at a problem that doesn't exist.

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
Question.....you've had the Layercake for awhile and you really like it. You've stated that nothing touches it for flavor and that it even brings out the subtle notes of your juices. Why are you so concerned with what other people think? Stop doubting yourself. Finding an RDA that checks all the boxes for you is very difficult. It sounds like you found yours. So what if others don't like it. I don't give 2 VooPoos what you think of my gear. It works for me and that's what matters. Use that Layercake until you're sick of it. No sense throwing money at a problem that doesn't exist.
Ur right. I do love the Layercake. I think Ill stick with it. I like the Cosmonaut to but I think the Layercake has better flavor. I think District 5fve is an awesome company. They seem to make good stuff. What do u think of District 5fve?

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Have u heard of vaporz clouds maker rda? It looks interesting. Wonder if u can drip through the top.
No, I haven't. I seen the EZ Cloud Maker RDA though and feel that may be what you are talking about? I really know nothing more than the name of it, and what the outside looks like though.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016

Long story short, what performs best for your style of vaping might not work for someone else at all.
So better give a ....e on what others deem to be perfect and find your own way.

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
No, I haven't. I seen the EZ Cloud Maker RDA though and feel that may be what you are talking about? I really know nothing more than the name of it, and what the outside looks like though.
Yes thats what I was talking about. I seen it in the link u sent me. It cought my attention. Looks like it might be good for flavor.

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
Long story short, what performs best for your style of vaping might not work for someone else at all.
So better give a ....e on what others deem to be perfect and find your own way.
Ur right. I just like to see what more experienced vapors like. Ill stick to my Cosmonaut and Layercake.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Ur right. I just like to see what more experienced vapors like. Ill stick to my Cosmonaut and Layercake.
Experienced vapers like what keeps them off of cigs. Find something that will do that for you (which would like you have).

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I never smoked. Well cigars but u dont inhale them. And I dipped. I started vaping cause my wife said my breath stunk. I love the flavors. Cigars r just 1 flavor.
Allow me to rephrase.

Experienced vapers like what keeps them off of tobacco products. Find something that will do that for you (which sounds like you have).

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
Experienced vapers like what keeps them off of cigs. Find something that will do that for you (which would like you have).

I would still use my old Corona V1 on the Provari if it were like that.
Didn't even have the need for cigarettes since I started vaping, and I find the taste and smell absolutely disgusting.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I would still use my old Corona V1 on the Provari if it were like that.
Didn't even have the need for cigarettes since I started vaping, and I find the taste and smell absolutely disgusting.

:facepalm:
All I am saying here is that he doesn't need to buy new stuff if it works for him. I'm happy to hear smoking repulses you so much now that you don't smoke anymore. But the bulk of vapers do vape to refrain from getting their nicotine from tobacco. I never claimed all do, but thanks for sharing your opinion.

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
Allow me to rephrase.

Experienced vapers like what keeps them off of tobacco products. Find something that will do that for you (which sounds like you have).
Gotcha. My wife smoked for 20 years. She's vaped for 6. She uses the Hex Ohm. I used the Hex Ohm till I got the Paranormal. The Paranormal is just plain out raw power. Its awesome. Its more powerful then a mech. Vaping to me is like a Hobby. To my wife its life saving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread