Here we go again or,extreme bad parenting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
@sofarsogood That was me. I contacted the local police and talked
to 3 coroners including the one who filled out the death certificate.
My concern with the researchers report on this child's blood testing
is number one,even with parental consent how did they get the samples
so quickly and,2, with out parental consent how did they get them at all.

If the researchers findings are in fact authorized and accurate it brings
up another concern. Stories indicate that the juice in the bottle was in
fact mixed e-juice not,concentrate. Some form of nic base and VG.
now we have a situation what was the ratio of mix. If the researchers
are correct it sounds like it was nic base cut with a very small amount of VG
in order to get the roughly 70mg ml in a 10 ml dose. This implies the
girls mother had no clue of how to mix e-juice which compounds
her negligence. Not having all the facts I would assume that if in fact
the e-juice in the bottle was a finished mix and the mother had even
a remedial knowledge of mixing ,the nic strength would be more in line
with more or less standard strengths. Not knowing her vaping style
and for the sake of argument I would think it would be 24mg ml or less.
Of course this doesn't jive with the fathers story of giving the child a
10 ml dose.
Regards
Mike
PS. A quick google search shows new stories concerning this and they are all
as far as I can tell cut and pastes of livesciences story emphasizing the researchers 700mg of nic dosage.

Last edited:

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    Well I'm glad that the girl is OK. Basically this is just going to be more ammo for the anti-vape cannon..

If you have doubts about the accuracy of this latest story just assume that is well founded. Lately journalists are complaining about fake news. That's ironic because they churn out more fake news than anybody. There is no important difference between fake and false.

Yep, the cannon balls are gettin' cloudier and cloudier. Pun intended. I do feel bad for both children, and I am glad the second one survived. I wonder what her thoughts are going to be of all this when she is of adulthood and thinks back..

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2013
    Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
    Some people in the forum will remember the story out of NY about a child dying from nic poisoning. I followed that story as close as possible. Early reports were that the baby sitter caught the child drinking from a bottle of eliquid and tired to induce vomiting. i recall first reports were it was a bottle of consumer eliquid then that was changed to a bottle of nic concentrate. I recall an ambulance came to the scene and could not revive the child. Someone on this board contacted local authorities to get the death certificate. That was denied and apparently NY state law allows that denial. So we have an accidental death and no official, signed account of a cause of death. Some how that seems VERY unusual. It is always tragic when anything bad happens to a kid but there was political hay being made of this. I don't believe the child died of nicotine poisoning. I believe the cause was inappropriate responses by the care giver or first responders. I believe no toxicology tests were done to see if there was enough nicotine in the child's blood to be life threatening.

If you have doubts about the accuracy of this latest story just assume that is well founded. Lately journalists are complaining about fake news. That's ironic because they churn out more fake news than anybody. There is no important difference between fake and false.
    They also never found the bottle cap... Just saying.

skoony

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 31, 2013
    saint paul,mn,usa
    Gotcha. So it Falls into the 2nd Question of the Two.

So what does that Tell Us?
    It is my understanding when the bottle cap was looked for none was found. Some news reports did
    say the bottle was uncapped to begin with.

Some of the discussions concerning this incident concerned whether or not the bottle had
    a child resistant cap or not. Apparently Heartlandvapes was in a transitional phase with their
    products. Their web page showed they were using child resistant caps for the most
    part. Some posters here said recent purchases( back then) by them came with out child resistant caps.
    Regards
    Mike

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2009
    No bottle cap was ever recovered according to news reports and official
    statements to the news from the police.

As I recall, they never found the bottle cap from the bottle of e-liquid after a 2 year old reportedly died after drinking e-liquid (that was mixed by an adult, and then left on the coffee table two feet away from the child) in Western NY a few years ago.

Never mind, now I see that was what was being referenced.

skoony

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 31, 2013
    saint paul,mn,usa
    As I recall, they never found the bottle cap from the bottle of e-liquid after a 2 year old reportedly died after drinking e-liquid (that was mixed by an adult, and then left on the coffee table two feet away from the child) in Western NY a few years ago.

Never mind, now I see that was what was being referenced.
    Actually it was nic base of some sort purchased from heartland vapes.
    mike

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread