Is vaping really safer???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skad

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
Biloxi, MS
No one can fully assure you it's perfectly safe. There have been studies linked to in other threads, which proclaim the safety, and perhaps even therapeutic benefit of inhaling PG vapor.

That being said, after two weeks of vaping and no cigs, I feel much better.

And I'm certain that I've done much worse things to my body then suck on an ecig.

D_Struct

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Lufkin, TX
After two months of not smoking, I can say that I feel great. I sleep better. My breathing has improved. Sinus issues are down to a minimum. I can work out without nearly passing out.

This is a huge change from when I was smoking a pack a day.

While the verdict is still out on any possible long-term issues, I would rather take my chances, as well.

Klimpt

ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
The infuriating thing for me is I am almost certain that the technology and general idea behind it make sense. It should be possible to build a machine that turns a non-toxic substance into a vapour that can deliver a hit to the throat/lungs like smoke but that is composed of non-harmful substances. That must be possible and can't be that hard! We can put a man on the moon, for chrissakes we must be able to create water vapour!

My fear is not so much about the theory, it is that the actual units themselves (or the carts/liquids) contaminate the vapour, for example through liquid reacting with the plastic containers, or the atomiser metal degrading into the vapour. Stuff like that is really scary to me. A well-built, non-leaky vapouriser would, I believe, have a really good chance of being totally safe but I'm not 100% sure that's what we are using.

taz3cat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2008
Port Arthur, Texas
Shannon, even if the FDA appproved the e-liquid that would not mean it was perfectly safe. Just look at the law suits from FDA approved drugs.

Your always going to have a few people that have adverse reations to any thing. LOL, some people cannot eat peanut butter, strawberrys and I cannot eat whole wheat bread. I am not going to tell you not to eat whole wheat bread just because I have a problem.

I have been vaping since June 2008 and I figure vaping less than 20 chemical has got to be better than 4000 chemical and 40 or so are know to cause cancer.

I have look up all the ingidians in the e-liquid I use and none at this time are know to cause cancer.

They have known since the 1940's that PG was an anti bacterial and anti viral substance.

I did have a x-ray done today and on the 21st my doctor will probaly tell me there is no problem. If there is one from Vaping he will know it, because he has know since June that I vape.

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
My fear is not so much about the theory, it is that the actual units themselves (or the carts/liquids) contaminate the vapour, for example through liquid reacting with the plastic containers, or the atomiser metal degrading into the vapour. Stuff like that is really scary to me.

Scary as compared to smoking known carcinogens and toxins? :confused:

RedBullHighBride

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2009
OUTSIDE
No one can fully assure you it's perfectly safe. There have been studies linked to in other threads, which proclaim the safety, and perhaps even therapeutic benefit of inhaling PG vapor.

That being said, after two weeks of vaping and no cigs, I feel much better.

And I'm certain that I've done much worse things to my body then suck on an ecig.

I heartily agree with Skad. I feel a lot better too, I smell better and I even look a little bit less 'meh'.

Vicks Vap-oh-Yeah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
West Allis, WI
www.emeraldvapers.com
The question at the top of the thread is 'is vaping really safer'.

Most of us think probably it's safer than smoking, nobody knows for sure and anyone who says they do know is ignoring valid questions about potential risks.

That was so well said, Kate, it needs to be said again....

Nothing in this life is totally, 100% safe. Nobody can make your decisions for you on which risks are acceptable and which are not.

Toni

Apr 2, 2009
Oklahoma
Honestly, I have no idea. I too am willing to take my chances. I vaped for about 4 days & was down to 0 cigarettes a day, & then had issues with my atomizer, (have back up people, lol) So I had to go back to the cancer sticks. Every since then I can't get a deep breath, I'm coughing all the time, I feel like there's something stuck in my throat & I am sooo tired. As soon as I get my order in I am SO going back to vaping only. I feel like crap all the time now. Just my 2 cents. :D

Ultimist

ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2009
Montana, USA
Though we don't know for sure if vaping is safer than smoking analogs, we DO know that when vaping we aren't inhaling those 4000 odd ingredients, including over 40 known carcinogens.

I know it's not scientific, but common sense says that inhaling 4 or 5 ingredients (which have not been ignited) could not possibly be any worse than inhaling over 4000 ingredients (which HAVE been ignited).

Scientific or not, I think it is safe to say that vaping is (at least) a bit safer than smoking analogs. That's just my opinion.

Elendil

Assclown Exterminator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
IL USA

Most of us think probably it's safer than smoking, nobody knows for sure and anyone who says they do know is ignoring valid questions about potential risks.

Very true.

I choose to think of it as safer, so it is...........for me.

Duckies

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
Philly
Safe? No. Nicotine isn't "safe". It has negative effects on the heart and cardio-vascular system and PG puts lactic acid into the muscular system.

That said, PG is the main ingredient in asthema inhalers as it is what allows inhalers to work.

Lighting tobacco and inhaling it into your lungs brings with it 4,000 chemicals, ~60 of which are carcinogens (cancer causing substances).

This isn't about "safe", it is about harm reduction (why the FDA will NEVER declare something as addictive as nicotine "safe").

I will leave you with my doc's reaction when I demo'd my PV for him after telling him I quit after 25 years. "I am not as concerned about the nicotine -- you aren't inhaling smoke. Keep it up."

Talk with your doctor about PVs -- but know that they may not be aware of them. Be prepared to provide them with information about smoking vs vaping and give them time to research before giving you an all clear on moving forward.

ozrick

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Chicago, IL

Ahhh there's my Kate!

Anyway, Duckies hit it right on the head. I don't believe that vaping comes without potential risks, we are dealing with a poison in it's raw form. I have been trying to educate my friends and strangers who ask me about vaping with the positives and negatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread