Lounge Lizards / Misfits / Free Thinkers / Bohemians & the Forgotten :: Young at Heart Only

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
Book 1 ... I've read 1 through 7 and there's plenty more. One is as good as another for a starting point.

Now that makes sense .. ;)

double-face-palm.jpg

"Killing Floor" .. then .. Looks to me like there should be a box set .. Amazon shows 21 Books .. ??

Last edited:

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
EDIT :: I would be remiss in not adding John le Carré / David John Moore Cornwell .. and, if you missed the 60 Minutes piece done on him a while back, it's well worth rooting out .. :)

For anyone who likes crime/legal fiction, I'm going to toss in Alifair Burke. Honestly, I think she's one of the best out there, and possibly the best. Sadly, she isn't terribly prolific, but give her a break as she is also a law professor in some college I never heard of before.

Not that it matters, but her father is James Lee Burke.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
I haven't been reading that much lately. Needed new glasses, which are now ordered. And wasn't able to walk to and from the library, which is six blocks away. So watching this now. Somehow our tastes in books really coincide.

I prefer prolific writers, and read one exclusively, until I either get bored or run out of options at the local library.

yiddleboge6

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2012
PA
I would rather read paper most of the time.
As would I and many others, but...sometimes one has to settle for other options and it's nice to know that it's available...;) I, for one, cannot afford to buy many books, have no room to store them, and have no library within walking distance, yet I'm still able to read...

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
As would I and many others, but...sometimes one has to settle for other options and it's nice to know that it's available...;) I, for one, cannot afford to buy many books, have no room to store them, and have no library within walking distance, yet I'm still able to read...
And any excuse to motivate me to lose weight.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
Allow me to again express my appreciation for those of you that took time out of your busy lives and spent some of it here .. it means a lot to me, especially this week when I had a little minor meltdown of sorts and you folks helped me drag my .... out of it ..

Please post what's on your mind, issues and whatever .. that's what it's all about .. (within ECF rules, of course .. ;)) .. I have very much enjoyed the Book discussion and you've helped expand my reading list .. :)

Bernie Taupin’s lyrics on this one condense the plot of Ray Bradbury’s short story, "The Rocket Man", which tells of an astronaut leaving his wife and son on a journey into space :) .. just a little trivial Writers Factoid .. ;)

Last edited:

clnire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
Florida
Good tip .. I did not know .. suggestions on a good place to start .. ??
I Agree to start with the first one and go from there. It will build the character and enhance each following book. The movie Jack Reacher, the first abomination by Cruise, is based on the book One Shot. Get the real story ;)

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Dinner out tonight at my favorite restaurant ... the Sunshine Cafe. Its quite different than Janet's fav ... The Olive Garden. It surely will never make an episode of Dinners, Drive-ins and Dives for it's cuisine. But you'll get an OK full dinner ranging from 8 to 10 bucks. The clientele is strictly working class and farmers from the area and everyone knows everyone else. The chef and owner loves her customers and always greets them by name and strikes up a short conversation. If you order one of the nights specials in the blink of an eye it's sitting in front of you ready for eating. If you order from the menu be prepared to wait all of 5 and never more than 10 minutes before you're served.

I love the atmosphere ... here's looking across the counter at the center of activity.

Sunshine Cafe.jpeg

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
I would rather read paper most of the time.

We haunt a local (and moderately large) used book store, but

options are nice :)

Sometimes it takes a while for a new release to first make it to paperback, then to the used store. But, if they do have an ebook format, it's often released when the hard back is, and the library may have it long before the used store.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
We haunt a local (and moderately large) used book store, but

options are nice :)

Sometimes it takes a while for a new release to first make it to paperback, then to the used store. But, if they do have an ebook format, it's often released when the hard back is, and the library may have it long before the used store.
There is (or was) a HUGE used book store in LaCrosse. Although Amazon used vendors sometimes have books for the price of shipping and handling, if they have been out a long time.
Dinner out tonight at my favorite restaurant ... the Sunshine Cafe. Its quite different than Janet's fav ... The Olive Garden. It surely will never make an episode of Dinners, Drive-ins and Dives for it's cuisine. But you'll get an OK full dinner ranging from 8 to 10 bucks. The clientele is strictly working class and farmers from the area and everyone knows everyone else. The chef and owner loves her customers and always greets them by name and strikes up a short conversation. If you order one of the nights specials in the blink of an eye it's sitting in front of you ready for eating. If you order from the menu be prepared to wait all of 5 and never more than 10 minutes before you're served.

I love the atmosphere ... here's looking across the counter at the center of activity.

View attachment 695109
I like restaurants where you can see the kitchen.

I FINALLY got a cutoff wheel installed on my B&D rotary, and it worked fine. A wet vape, just like I like it.

Users who are viewing this thread