My Ego spinner battery exploded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankster79

ECF Veteran
Oct 15, 2011
Norway
Been vaping since back in Ocober 2011.
Today at work my e-cig-battery exploded in my chest pocket, leaving a big hole in the shirt.
I had used it maybe 5-10 minutes earlier before putting it back in my chest pocket,where i always keep it at work.
At the time nothing felt wrong with it,wasn't hot or anything.

It was like a firecracker going off, I didn't know what was going on, i got it out of my shirt,and the battery was too hot to hold.
It split in in half at the top,and a lot of smoke came off it, Threw both the tank and the battery off the rain,was too startled to take a picture first.
I didn't get hurt, just shaved a year or two off my life i think.
Im using the EGO-spinner battery together with the Protank
Luckily i have backups.
Not sure how old the battery was, i cycle through 3 batteries,but it was no older than 6 months.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
I am glad your ok thats to close to your paid monkey his days off beating on his drum shall continue, amen..

No, has not happened to me, fortunately the ego's of mine that went bad only would not fire and the led would not go out..

I think you somehow had something wedged on the fire button and it fired in your pocket continuous until boom. IDK, I hope that is what happened, if not, we can recommend them to very bad people now; yes they are great, put them in your shirt pocket ... ;)

CommaHolly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Plant City, FL
I think you somehow had something wedged on the fire button and it fired in your pocket continuous until boom. IDK, I hope that is what happened, if not, we can recommend them to very bad people now; yes they are great, put them in your shirt pocket ... ;)

doesn't it have a 10 second cut off though????

I'm so sorry to hear that, Frankster,,,,,,,I'm glad to hear you're ok though!!!!!!

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
Definitely need pics, so it was normal one minute then blowing up in your pocket the next..I wonder if your body temperature made it too hot, I sometimes take my small Sipik SK68 (small pocket flashlight) out of my pocket and it feels "warm" but that is only because it's in my pocket with my body temp (thinking of switching to NiMH instead of Li Ion, it may not run as bright, but runs much much longer

Glad you are ok, glad it wasn't worse and that you were burned or injured

Bosco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
San Antonio
Well first things first; glad you're okay.

Now very important; manufacturer, brand, and source of the battery?

Agree - I wonder this, too. Glad you weren't hurt. Kinda scares me a little because I run around with my egos in my pockets *all* the time . . not to mention toss them in suitcases, leave them on nightstands and all kinds of other stuff where it would suck royally to have on blow up.

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
doesn't it have a 10 second cut off though????

I'm so sorry to hear that, Frankster,,,,,,,I'm glad to hear you're ok though!!!!!!

I cant figure it out, yeah it does/supposed to have 10 sec cutoff.

The ego has really small wires they would melt instantly if shorted, so somehow its a battery rupture and how that can happen in an ego is strange.. If you use the wrong charger and over charge it continuous then perhaps that can be it as well. One of my ego chargers charges a bare li ion way to high @4.27-4.29 lipo batts in ego's like 4.1v and will fault if constantly overcharged or discharged below 3-v.. They do not give much room for over-charge, discharge error like IMR cells. The ego board only allows the charger to 4.07-4.10 but if that circuit faults then IDK, boom is possible..

MY ego's are 9 months old and still like new, I hope it lasts a lot longer and to have it not blow up on me would be awesome. lol

Frankster79

ECF Veteran
Oct 15, 2011
Norway
Its was an Ego spinner 900mah. Says vision spinner on the botton side of the battery.The protank was attached at the time. It has a 10 second cut off.
The Protank didn't crack,but I was a bit startled cause of the smoke and everything,so threw out both the battery and the tank off the train im working on.
As i said i have been vaping for over 2 years now,and nothing like this has happened before. Been really happy with these batteries,and i will keep using them. My guess is something must have shorted inside the battery,making it hotter and hotter,and eventually blow.
I bring these batteries with me everywhere,and i have dropped them a few times.From now on i think i will just replace them every few months to be on the safe side.
I buy all my gear from a very well known store in the uk.

The charger im using is the same i used for my riva 510's,and sold on the same page as the ego batteries.

Last edited:

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2013
Waterville ME
I had a 1300 Vision Spinner and about a month ago it completely malfunctioned. It suddenly started firing on its own. I had it in my shirt pocket one night with an Evod tank attached, I suddenly heard the crackle of the coil, the button was lit up without being pushed. I quickly took the Evod off and the button continued to fire off and on randomly. I took it apart trying to see if there was anything obvious but nothing stood out to me. Really sucked as I only had it about 2 months. I've no doubt that is what happened to you. I'll never buy another vision spinner.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

NerdVap0r

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Bay Area
Dang this makes me want to get rid of my Halo triton ASAP, same look as most egos. I knew i shouldve bought a heavy weighted mod thats indestructible with external batteries from the start. The heavy duty indestructible tube should withstand a battery explosion. Glad your ok. I cant imagine my mouth & teeth being blown to bits.

Last edited:

retrox

Flavor Chaser
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2013
NC, USA
The older-style Vision Spinners were notorious for developing sticky-button issues. They changed the button design midway through last year, I believe. Had a sticker myself, luckily caught it before it went nuclear.

Glad you're okay, OP! A battery is a battery, whether it's an eGo or an 18650. They can be volatile, and they especially don't like being dropped. The main thing that bothers me about eGo batteries aside from all the low-quality clones on the market is that they don't all use safe chemistry like IMR, so there's no telling what you've got sticking out of your shirt or pants pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread