New research survey - Vermont - 2012-06-28

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liscab

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2009
Miami fl.
I'm just speculating here, but based on the questions and how they related them to desire and actualization, I'd say they are attempting to determine:

How much self control each individual has.
Whether or not participants use illegal drugs.
What if any activities non smokers have replaced their cigarette habit with.
Level of libido.
Closeness with family.
How physically active each individual is.
How social interaction effects addiction.

What that all adds up to I am not sure.

I would like to agree with you but as i have not read the questions the approved ones were sent I am out of a serious opinion but I am wandering what Rolygates could tell to us, he created this thread but he is as silent as a body in the dead house

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
As a former psychology major and creator of research surveys, I have no idea what they are up to with this.
It seems as if they want to measure certain factors and how they change over a very brief period of time as you give them some thought.

Why they would want to do that, I have no idea.
And what it has to do with smoking, or quitting smoking, I have even less of an idea.

Overall, it was quite bizarre, which of course makes me extremely interested.

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com
PARTIAL
It seems as if they want to measure certain factors and how they change over a very brief period of time as you give them some thought.
And what it has to do with smoking, or quitting smoking, I have even less of an idea.
Overall, it was quite bizarre, which of course makes me extremely interested.

Since some of the sample was people who plan to reduce or quit smoking in the next two weeks (the duration of the survey) I would guess they want to study the effects of trying to quit smoking on reward-perception, and probably also the effects of actually DOING rewarding things on those perceptions. And of course a control group of people who are not going to change their smoking habits in the same period is needed for comparison.

Calypso53

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2012
NJ
I was accepted into the study....told them I have not smoked in 6 months and answered all questions honestly. I can't figure out what they are attempting to see here, but it should be interesting. One thing I wasn't sure about, when it asked if I used any "medication" to help quit, I assume they were referring to nicotine patches, pills, etc. so I said no. But vaping is what made me quit smoking and I'm SURE I'd still be smoking if I hadn't started vaping. There was nothing in the questions about that however. Maybe the second survey will touch on that, I hope so because I feel it's misleading to appear like I quit cold turkey when I didn't.

Last edited:

purelyscientific

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2012
NewYork
let's try it in here . Is English your first language? no 2. What country do you live in? usa 3. How old are you? I am 54 years old 4. Do you currently smoke cigarettes? no 5. Have you used any stop-smoking medication in the last month? no 6. Do you plan to stop or reduce your smoking in the next 2 weeks? no I would say no applicable 7. Have you been sad, depressed or lost your ability to enjoy things every day for the last 2 weeks? no 8. In the last year, have you had memory problems that interfered with your work, schooling or every day chores, were noticeable by others and lasted for a month? no 9. In the last year, have you had trouble motivating yourself to do things such that it interfered with your work, schooling or everyday chores, was noticeable by others, and lasted for a month? no 10. In the last year, have you seen or heard things that were not there? no 11. Are you currently in treatment for any psychological, psychiatric or drug abuse problem? no 12. In the last year, have you had any neurological disorder such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, or dementia? no I dont have psychological problems that why i was rejected
My answers were identical except English is my first language and Im 20 y/o. Your not missing anything, the study was long as hell and had NOTHING to do with vaping. At the end they said it was the first of 3 sections. Needless to say I'm not gonna do the other 2. Unless thay have to do with vaping...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread