New tank from Joyetech: Ultimo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troll from behind

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
Finlad
Any ideas what the ceramic heads is leeching into my e-juice?
Don't like me clear juice slowly turning yellow.
Seems to be leaking from juiceports(no surprise here!) and it almost looks like rust.
Is it the ceramic or possibly heating wire?
Last time I had this happen was when I was still using gennies with mesh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TrollDragon

OhTheAgony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Netherlands
I really hate that guy as a reviewer...
Tungsten has a TCR 0.00450 which is higher than Ti and lower than Ni200. The resistance of my coil only changed 0.08 ohms, if it was Tungsten it would have changed 1 full ohm. Tungsten is really nasty dangerous stuff as well, I'd never use any coils made from it.

I think it is just some janky Chinese Kanthal alloy, I wouldn't put it past Joyetech.

Frankly most of them suck imo, many just seem to be in advertisement instead of actually reviewing and almost non of them actually test a device and all it's features. Remember the Sigelei 213?
24462279700_2cc68e3b1d_o.gif

I just watch the videos to get a bit of an idea of the device, if I want to know more about it I wait until some people on the forum own it :)

But I think you're right on the wire in the ceramic coil. Too bad, wattage mode just doesn't appeal to me.

Yeah, Ray got me curious as well, anyone wants to trade a 5 pack of ceramic coils for one or two of the notch coils? :p

OhTheAgony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Netherlands
I've been eying this tank for a while, been wanting to try out a ceramic coil tank but not sure how this compares to other ceramic coil tanks. For around$20, it's not a bad price but I don't really need another tank unless it's amazing. Btw, is this tank suited for MTL hits?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

The airflow control works well enough, but this is by no means an MTL tank. You'll have to make it work like that if that's what you're looking for, this is probably the airiest tank I own with everything wide open.

Maybe a Kabuki is more up your ally?

OhTheAgony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Netherlands
Any ideas what the ceramic heads is leeching into my e-juice?
Don't like me clear juice slowly turning yellow.
Seems to be leaking from juiceports(no surprise here!) and it almost looks like rust.
Is it the ceramic or possibly heating wire?
Last time I had this happen was when I was still using gennies with mesh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It this point we can really only speculate, why don't you open it up and see what's going on?

CrayCrayRay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2016
The ceramic and clapton heads change the color of my liquid also. I didn't find any rust or anything when I ripped the clapton out. Could it just be oxidation? I wish coil metal specifications were listed on all Ecig products. I like stainless for a reason. I have yet to get any coloration in my notch head tank so I'm guessing the metal used is different. Notch coil heads are the clear winner in this tank. I'm going to stock up on notch heads and call it a day.

I believe I have a Cleito 120 waiting for me in my mail box. Can't wait to compare.

Sent from my flip phone

Danneh

Mar 21, 2016
I'm in love with these ceramic heads. All my other tanks are RTAs, but after all the good reports I figured I'd test drive one of these for my shop, absolutely brilliant. The first ceramic coil in the box was a dud however, constant burnt taste. Re-priming solved it for one or two hits but then it'd dry out again. Using a replacement now, and it's fantastic. The only thing is 60/40-65/35 VG/PG is about the max it'll take, it works with up to 75/25, but the flavour is lacking. Running it at 55W and about half airflow.

The RBA deck is pretty good too, not the best quality but it's a very simple build and easy to wick, and will handle any VG. Great flavour.

Reactions: OhTheAgony

Sandev

Multiple ID Suspension
Aug 18, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Affiliate advertising is not permitted on ECF

CrayCrayRay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2016
I'm in love with these ceramic heads. All my other tanks are RTAs, but after all the good reports I figured I'd test drive one of these for my shop, absolutely brilliant. The first ceramic coil in the box was a dud however, constant burnt taste. Re-priming solved it for one or two hits but then it'd dry out again. Using a replacement now, and it's fantastic. The only thing is 60/40-65/35 VG/PG is about the max it'll take, it works with up to 75/25, but the flavour is lacking. Running it at 55W and about half airflow.

The RBA deck is pretty good too, not the best quality but it's a very simple build and easy to wick, and will handle any VG. Great flavour.
I may try a couple more ceramics then. Hopefully the ratio of good and bad ceramic coils aren't in favor of bad coils like 80% bad coils. I've tried 2 so far and both were pretty bad .

Cleito time !

df07086774dce691e04d9a71914a45fc.jpg

cd6086b5b20a35a740f2aa22a0497be7.jpg

32d3a6ec148671178935641b31afe994.jpg

Size comparison:
Ultimo-Tornado Nano-Cleito 120

744f78d02791db4b269336f74d93785b.jpg

Sent from my flip phone

Last edited:

Danneh

Mar 21, 2016
I may try a couple more ceramics then. Hopefully the ratio of good and bad ceramic coils aren't in favor of bad coils like 80% bad coils. I've tried 2 so far and both were pretty bad .

That would certainly explain why some people think it's junk and some people seem to love it. I've got a feeling it's to do with the placement of the ceramic, if you poke it you can move it around inside the casing. I'll experiment with my dud coil when I get a chance.

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
Okay folks, I finally got around to tearing into a couple of these coils. My first coil only lasted a week and I did have a little leakage with that one so I definitely wanted to get into that one. I was really trying to see if it really is possible to change out the cotton on the ceramic head. I also wanted to see how the ceramic in this coil compares to the sintered ceramic cCell.

What I found was not good, lol. I had a feeling the coil I got with my tank was a dud, and that definitely proved to be true when I pulled it apart. The ceramic crumbled apart! I pulled the wire out by one of the legs and it broke so I had to pull the rest of it out by the other leg and that's when the coil crumbled. This particular coil was not a fully-functioning sintered ceramic head. Bummer.

These pictures are from that coil. After I got done with this one I decided to remove coil #2 from my tank and see what that one looked like. I had been vaping on coil #2 for 2 full weeks and it was still performing nicely, so I suspected it would be in better shape and it definitely was. I did not, however, find any workable way to change out the cotton around the coil. When the ceramic is intact it doesn't come out of the metal housing, so I am not sure why that is being touted as a feature of this coil.

Attachments

• 20160826_180135_resized.jpg
    20160826_180135_resized.jpg
    1,002.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 20160826_180427_resized.jpg
    20160826_180427_resized.jpg
    993.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 20160826_180728_resized.jpg
    20160826_180728_resized.jpg
    506.2 KB · Views: 93

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
As I stated, the second coil did not fall apart like the original one did. I did pull the wire out of it but the ceramic stayed intact. There was no way to get it out of the metal housing that I could find. The wire was dirty but it was still stable. I had not noticed any degradation in flavor or vapor when I pulled this coil. I did it out of curiosity.

The last 2 pictures are of my third coil head, which is installed now and performing beautifully. I am really hoping that first coil was the anomaly and that the rest of my 5-pack is good. When this one gets gross I am going to try cleaning it and see how that goes. I will throw it in my US cleaner and report back, but it will be a couple of weeks (I really hope!!) at least before I can do that.

Attachments

• ultimo coil 2.PNG
    ultimo coil 2.PNG
    595.2 KB · Views: 72
  • ultimo coil 2a.PNG
    ultimo coil 2a.PNG
    402.8 KB · Views: 75
  • new coil.PNG
    new coil.PNG
    379.7 KB · Views: 73
  • new coil2.PNG
    new coil2.PNG
    291.2 KB · Views: 69

CrayCrayRay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2016
Okay folks, I finally got around to tearing into a couple of these coils. My first coil only lasted a week and I did have a little leakage with that one so I definitely wanted to get into that one. I was really trying to see if it really is possible to change out the cotton on the ceramic head. I also wanted to see how the ceramic in this coil compares to the sintered ceramic cCell.

What I found was not good, lol. I had a feeling the coil I got with my tank was a dud, and that definitely proved to be true when I pulled it apart. The ceramic crumbled apart! I pulled the wire out by one of the legs and it broke so I had to pull the rest of it out by the other leg and that's when the coil crumbled. This particular coil was not a fully-functioning sintered ceramic head. Bummer.

These pictures are from that coil. After I got done with this one I decided to remove coil #2 from my tank and see what that one looked like. I had been vaping on coil #2 for 2 full weeks and it was still performing nicely, so I suspected it would be in better shape and it definitely was. I did not, however, find any workable way to change out the cotton around the coil. When the ceramic is intact it doesn't come out of the metal housing, so I am not sure why that is being touted as a feature of this coil.
Nice work on the dissection! I didn't know the ceramics were being touted as being serviceable. I know mine couldn't be serviced. I thought it was only the notch coils.

The only two ceramics I opened up the ceramic crumbled like you stated. I thought it may have been because I was rough with them. I guess it wasn't. I still have 9 to play with. Hopefully I get 1 good one.

Still on my first notch head and I've changed out cotton twice when changing flavors. Its like a brand new coil head every time.

Sent from my flip phone

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
Nice work on the dissection! I didn't know the ceramics were being touted as being serviceable. I know mine couldn't be serviced. I thought it was only the notch coils.

The only two ceramics I opened up the ceramic crumbled like you stated. I thought it may have been because I was rough with them. I guess it wasn't. I still have 9 to play with. Hopefully I get 1 good one.

Still on my first notch head and I've changed out cotton twice when changing flavors. Its like a brand new coil head every time.

Sent from my flip phone
Yeah I was bummed when that first one crumbled like that. There was very little ceramic in that one so I know it was a quality issue. The second one and this new one are sintered properly, though, so hopefully you have better luck with the rest of yours. That's awesome about the notch coil! Does it have a long ramp-up time? That's the one thing that has kept me from trying them.

CrayCrayRay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2016
The ramp up is quick, but I have to vape them at 45-75 watts depending on the juice. They just need more power but they stay clean. If I vape a clear juice like naked 100 POG, the cotton stays white. I can't say that about the ceramic or the clapton's.

Sent from my flip phone

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
The ramp up is quick, but I have to vape them at 45-75 watts depending on the juice. They just need more power but they stay clean. If I vape a clear juice like naked 100 POG, the cotton stays white. I can't say that about the ceramic or the clapton's.

Sent from my flip phone
I know it. The clapton got dark after 1 tank! The ceramic gets dark quickly, too. I think it's because the juice gets hot. The only ceramic coil I have ever used that didn't get really hot is the cCell. All of the other ones get very warm. I do love the flavor and vapor from the Ultimo ceramic coil, though, and I LOVE that you can vape immediately after installing the coil. These coils may not last as long as Joyetech says they will, but they do provide a great vaping experience when they are working properly. :)

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Excellent work @cooladdict! :thumbs:
I have my first one as well out and replaced after a week. It doesn't look like any way to get that big slug out of the bottom, looks to be press fit. My second ceramic is shaped better and a lot more uniform that the first one.

I think the notch coils are the way to go with this tank for sure!

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
Thanks for doing this, CA. Much appreciated. It was being said before these were released that the cotton could be changed with the ceramic heads. I have a feeling that there may have been some confusion and some of the sites that were reporting this were giving the info on the QCS heads for the ceramic heads.

That is a bummer but, I still like them enough that I will keep on using them. Like CA, I love the fact that I am able to vape them right away. No break in time needed. Plus, I am able to vape them at much higher wattage than I am with the cCells. Not to mention that the vapor and flavor produced is just outstanding :)

The notch coils are pretty awesome as well IMHO

Thanks again, CA!

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
Thanks for doing this, CA. Much appreciated. It was being said before these were released that the cotton could be changed with the ceramic heads. I have a feeling that there may have been some confusion and some of the sites that were reporting this were giving the info on the QCS heads for the ceramic heads.

That is a bummer but, I still like them enough that I will keep on using them. Like CA, I love the fact that I am able to vape them right away. No break in time needed. Plus, I am able to vape them at much higher wattage than I am with the cCells. Not to mention that the vapor and flavor produced is just outstanding :)

The notch coils are pretty awesome as well IMHO

Thanks again, CA!
No problem! :) I really wanted to see what makes it tick and I am happy to share what I found. I am just as curious to see if they can be deep cleaned so I will report those findings when I get to that as well.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
No problem! :) I really wanted to see what makes it tick and I am happy to share what I found. I am just as curious to see if they can be deep cleaned so I will report those findings when I get to that as well.

I wonder about that as well. Especially with the way that some crumbled after use. That may be the reason that JT tells us to dry burn and wipe to clean. Will be interesting to see if it works though.

There are DIY ceramic heads available but, I doubt that any would fit these casings. Plus, they are made more for an RBA/RTA. Totally different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread