Nicotine Comparisons

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
I do remember that mhertz, good memory! . I was thinking it was WL that I contacted last time though... I had an email from them..

I believe ECX, It's probably a variance in the vg base they are receiving. They took the batch number to check..

I have seen a range of viscosity in vg base as well.. This just seems so thin compared to what my memory says.. Maybe I'm just so used to vg thickness from all these years.. I vape at 9mg Nic.

I know rts vg base and vg Nic is much thicker... And you pay for it too. ;)

Last edited:

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
I think it was you Jeremy, over a year ago, getting VG nic from ECX thinner than usual and contacted them and they stated no water added, and you where pretty ...... about it(understandably!) ;)

Sorry if remembering wrong, mate!

Besides summer or hotter weather, then there are differences in the VGs viscosities... I always add 5% water and no PG to final mixes, and depending on VG used, some mixes are definitely thicker or thinner, and needs more or less force to drip from my used plastic drip-bottle... Also, nic has close to same specific gravity as water(1.01 vs 1.0), so 100mg is almost like adding 10% water. Still, as my previous point about VG viscosity differences, then one of my 100mg VG nics have actually thicker viscosity than one of my VGs without nic, so it could be true that they don't add water, but of course can't be sure! If they do, then it's definitely ....ed-up to not disclose it when asked!

With 100mg nic though, then unless you use pretty high nic, then you shouldn't really have that much water in your mix... I used to vape a nicbase with 20% water untill recently, and at 3mg it added 0.6% water or something and it was only 72mg nic...

About VT-TH, then Kevin stated on the other forum once, that he would stop selling it(or atleast so cheap), because it was happening at a loss for him when ordering liter bottles and not 120mls... He just underbid the market for gaining market-share and introducing his nic to the world so to speak, I would believe...

Edit: Jeremy, i'm sorry mate, it was cjb313 slightly over a year ago in this thread and you afterwards talked to him about it, so in my head I remembered it as you where the one having the issue, sorry. Of course if it was you, then you wouldn't write such a post as you did now, so I feel so stupid for even thinking that, let alone writing it... :)

Had to check my own posts to see my reports.. It was WL originally. Then later I said it looked like ecx had some but not as thin as WL.

Last edited:
Reactions: mhertz

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
Ahh, thanks for clearing that up mate and sorry again :) :toast:

Some chemical suppliers which vendors can use does have two VGs(or more), one without added water and one with 86% glycerol I believe and both of these are also available as separate monographs in I don't remember if is the USP or EP or maybe both... I don't really think many vendors buys these though(the ones using aqueous glycerin often blends it themselves I think) and gueses it's more an issue of absorbed water/packaging/manufacturing, or they're BS'ing us or simply ignorant about there own processing-techniques...

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
My only guess is that they decided they didn't need to offer a lower cost option any longer especially with the recent FDA stuff. I agree that it sux, especially since they pulled the offering while they had a sale in progress ... I was on the verge of purchasing a couple of extra liters as backups for my backups but couldn't re-enter them into my cart. :(

I ended up buying elsewhere.

I will buy elsewhere as well , thanks for the info .

Reactions: NGAHaze

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
Has anyone tried RTS nicotine lately? They lowered their prices on retail nic (1 liter) that is comparable to most vendors now. 49.00 a liter (100mL/1000ml). I am interested in the pg version.

I'm wondering the same thing. They are $179/gal as well right now. That's pretty cheap. I have RTS circa 2013. It's good but you can definitely smell the nic. That was a long time ago though.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
My 2014 RTS nic sat in the #1 plastic bottle it arrived in at about 30 degrees until I rebottled it last week. It came out clear and colorless, smelled very faintly and mixed up into a very smooth 9mg batch of my ADV. I'm going to rebottle the three liters I just received pretty quickly and expect it to be fine for years in glass.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
Hello fellow explorers. Anyone try pdo yet? I guess it's the alternate for pg/vg. Wonder how it lasts?

Real Flavors Newsletter - June 22 2016
"Our Propanediol is certified Kosher, Halal, GRAS, FEMA GRAS, and USP. It is certified 100% bio-based by the USDA BioPreferred® program.
Why PDO?
Allergy Free: For people with allergies or are sensitive to PG substances!
Smoother Taste: No PG means no harsh or bitter taste!
Superior Flavor Carrier: Nothing carries a flavor better. That means use less flavoring!
Cost Savings: Use less flavoring, plus shorter resting times!
All Natural: 100% Natural ingredients!
Earth Friendly: Environment-friendly manufacturing process!"
www.RealFlavors.com

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
It has an even lower viscosity than PG if I remember correctly from reading up on it(so hard to use on its own, and also being PG-like = limited vapor-thickness), and note that Kurt states that it's not a sure thing at all that people with allergies to PG will be able to tolerate this any better than petrolium-derived standard PG. If one is interested, and haven't read it yet, then this 1.3-PDO is discussed more in the following thread. Note the thread-title describes an entirely other product, not because of the OP, but because the person writing there webpage descriptions about this product, doesn't know what he/she's talking about...

Corn Glycerin question.

I'm perfectly happy with straight VG(and very slight water) personally, but would love to taste it and see if it still has any of the bitterness and alcohol notes of standard PG...

AJ Steele

Jun 14, 2016
Central Missouri
It has an even lower viscosity than PG if I remember correctly from reading up on it(so hard to use on its own, and also being PG-like = limited vapor-thickness), and note that Kurt states that it's not a sure thing at all that people with allergies to PG will be able to tolerate this any better than petrolium-derived standard PG. If one is interested, and haven't read it yet, then this 1.3-PDO is discussed more in the following thread. Note the thread-title describes an entirely other product, not because of the OP, but because the person writing there webpage descriptions about this product, doesn't know what he/she's talking about...

Corn Glycerin question.

I'm perfectly happy with straight VG(and very slight water) personally, but would love to taste it and see if it still has any of the bitterness and alcohol notes of standard PG...

I've never tried VG thinned with distilled water. Does it vape/taste the same? Or I guess what I mean is, does it mute flavor very much compared to using PG?

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
It vapes sligtly hotter, as the overall boiling-point is lowered(though the water evaporates off faster than the VG), but if just adding little water, then you'll probably not even notice it. Note i'm talking about adding in water as part of the recipe, as just adding water to a finished recipe obviously will dilute the flavor down too, but not if factored in from the start e.g. 5% flavor is 5% flavor of the entire solution no matter if no or 20% water added, IF factored in from the start, or else it's dilluted to e.g. 4% flavor...

To much water can flood your tank and also make the evaporation "pop" more...

PG to me has in addition to it's lower viscosity, also a kinda flavor boosting effect because of it's alcoholic notes, which e.g. especially with fruit flavors can make them more bright and sparkle, whereas VG is a kinda "dull" flavor carrier, i.e. it doesn't mask flavors persay, but just let's them through unadulterated...

Added water lowers the viscosity so not as much steeping is needed i'm guessing. Sorry, i'm an unflavored vaper for over a year, so don't really know that much about this(when I used flavors, I also used PG, but after going flavorless, the flavors wheren't there to mask the, to me, bad taste of PG, hence i'm vaping all VG now).

Personally, I only use water to make the viscosity right, and as i'm dripping full-time, then I don't need much; currently I use 5%, but have been thinking about making my next mix without water completely, and see how that goes... Also, it does take a little bit off the sweetness from the VG which I also kinda like myself...

Last edited:

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Hello fellow explorers. Anyone try pdo yet? I guess it's the alternate for pg/vg. Wonder how it lasts?

Real Flavors Newsletter - June 22 2016
"Our Propanediol is certified Kosher, Halal, GRAS, FEMA GRAS, and USP. It is certified 100% bio-based by the USDA BioPreferred® program.
Why PDO?
Allergy Free:
For people with allergies or are sensitive to PG substances!
Smoother Taste: No PG means no harsh or bitter taste!
Superior Flavor Carrier: Nothing carries a flavor better. That means use less flavoring!
Cost Savings: Use less flavoring, plus shorter resting times!
All Natural: 100% Natural ingredients!
Earth Friendly: Environment-friendly manufacturing process!"
www.RealFlavors.com

I have tried it. Vapes very well, wicks very well, even sub-ohm/high-wattage. But compared to my VG-only e-liquids, it has a taste I am not fond of at all, vaguely plastic. I will say it didn't dry me out nearly as much as PG does, but then my VG-juices don't dry me out at all, so the taste of PDO is still making it not worth it for me, especially in unflavored or very low favored juices. Might be higher flavor will mask it, but for my purposes it's not really useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread