Older People - 55 years and up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lisa Belle

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2010
Sylvania, OH
www.lisabelle-artist.com
I started at 12. Peer pressure. I was addicted to nicotine almost overnight. I smoked through two pregnancies, and both my Sons TYG do not smoke! Both their Father and I did around them throughout their childhoods. In 2009, I drove alone across country to New Mexico from Michigan. On the way back at a large Travel Store, I saw Njoy and the brochure, I grabbed it. I had a wish in my 20's while coughing and in pain from a virus that had become bronchitis, that there be a safe cigarette invented. I was being handed 5 cig sample packs from the big makers and their distributors on my lunch breaks on the street in the financial district of San Francisco. I have tried to quit in many ways including chantix. It worked for a short time but when life's stresses over power me, I want my oldest friend "Rudolph Nicotino", how many times I have quit you and take you back. sic.......
Being the artistic type, I have some outlets, painting is number 1, creative writing is number 2, Singing has been a lifetime enjoyable activity and studying voice. After just a few weeks of vaping starting in 2010, my voice's octave range increased again, I know longer sounded like Bea Arthur, so I sang across country while vaping and have lived to continue vaping and singing. I am so glad this forum exists and for all the times, I was in doubt or needed advice, I have never been disappointed.

kittypie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
Charlotte NC
Waaaaah. I'm "only" 53 years7 mos. I feel at LEAST 55. Does that count? And I'm still working on getting off the stinkies. My mother died of lung cancer at age 63, and just last week my ~57 year-old cousin was diagnosed with advanced LC. I do not wish to suffer their fate!

PS I was introduced to vaping by my younger sister, who started vaping and stopped stinkies entirely. She started at 24mg and over the course of a year has dropped down to 0 - 6 mg.

PPS Oh yes, I remember the days when it was acceptable to smoke ANYWHERE...restaurants, movie theaters, the office...and, I had surgery in 1992 and was allowed to smoke in my hospital room!

Last edited:

Bostonsnboxers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2011
NW OH, US
I started at 12. Peer pressure. I was addicted to nicotine almost overnight. I smoked through two pregnancies, and both my Sons TYG do not smoke! Both their Father and I did around them throughout their childhoods. In 2009, I drove alone across country to New Mexico from Michigan. On the way back at a large Travel Store, I saw Njoy and the brochure, I grabbed it. I had a wish in my 20's while coughing and in pain from a virus that had become bronchitis, that there be a safe cigarette invented. I was being handed 5 cig sample packs from the big makers and their distributors on my lunch breaks on the street in the financial district of San Francisco. I have tried to quit in many ways including chantix. It worked for a short time but when life's stresses over power me, I want my oldest friend "Rudolph Nicotino", how many times I have quit you and take you back. sic.......
Being the artistic type, I have some outlets, painting is number 1, creative writing is number 2, Singing has been a lifetime enjoyable activity and studying voice. After just a few weeks of vaping starting in 2010, my voice's octave range increased again, I know longer sounded like Bea Arthur, so I sang across country while vaping and have lived to continue vaping and singing. I am so glad this forum exists and for all the times, I was in doubt or needed advice, I have never been disappointed.

We're practically neighbors Lisa..welcome!

Bluesman, or anyone really that loves coffee as much as I do (strong, straight, black please) read this thread. I thought I was going to be stuck vaping unflavored juice (which ain't bad!) then I decided to give coffee extraction a shot. If you're at all inclined, this will make your heart go pitter patter ;)

*NOT for the caffeine sensitive...vaping coffee will give you an instant though short lived boost.

Would love to hear about some bakky juices that satisfy the older and wiser as well Bluesman. Will have to wait on others for that....please? lol!

Calypso53

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2012
NJ
I'm 58, have been smoking since I was 15, got up to almost 2 packs a day. There were times when I had to quit....like 2 weeks before I was having elective surgery, and I have tried the patch, gum, hypnosis, aversion therapy and that horrible drug, Chantix. I was always miserable when I didn't have my cigarettes, felt like I lost my best friend. I tried vaping a couple of years ago with that Smoke51 trial kit, and hated it. I decided to try vaping again just 3 weeks ago, thinking the products have to be better now. I ordered a V2 starter kit and have NOT had an analog cigarette since. I think this is nothing short of a miracle for me. I no longer have to freeze my .... off outside, be the only one at parties who needs to have a "cigarette break", smell awful, and I feel so much better that I've started using my Bowflex again. I see there are a lot of us here, that's wonderful! I also think we need to be proactive and speak up when faced with possible regulations by the antis and powerful lobbies who all just want taxes out of us. I live in NJ where they have already banned e-cigs anywhere that smoking is banned, which sucks. But, welcome to all of you!!!

Bluesman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
PA USA
kittypie, get on in here and stay a while. It sounds like you have much to offer.

Oh, Bostonsnboxers, I wish I had the talent to do that. The coffee extract must be good. Thank you for that link. I am going to attempt it. However, first I will alert the fire department, get myself some protective gear, and ask my neighbors to vacate their homes for a while.

I was not aware of NJ's ban on e-cigs. I was just there recently and I'm trying to remember if I did any illegal vaping. Maybe they are looking for me as we speak. Thanks for the info, Calypso53. That is good to know.

stitosma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Hayden Idaho USA
I'm 55 and remember rolling cigs for my grandmother when I was 7 years old. I would take one and puff on it and blow the smoke out the bathroom window..that is how my addiction started. It changed 4 years ago in an instant when my daughter saw a 801 penstyle ecig at a mall kiosk...the rest is history. I now own several mods and love my favorite hobby and lifestyle change. Since starting vaping no more bouts of Pleurisy (usually twice a year), wheezing, coughing..all gone! Haven't saved a dime but I am healthier and if it wasn't such a fun hobby I'm sure it would be a substantial savings! Happy vaping to All!

Calypso53

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2012
NJ
PPS Oh yes, I remember the days when it was acceptable to smoke ANYWHERE...restaurants, movie theaters, the office...and, I had surgery in 1992 and was allowed to smoke in my hospital room!

I smoked through three pregnancies, my doctor only advised to "cut my smoking in half" as I sat in his office while he was smoking a Marlboro red. Kids are all fine, and I was able to smoke in my hospital room after delivery, and so did everyone else. My videos of our kids when they were little show all of us adults in the background with ashtrays! I'm not sure when everyone else quit and started becoming an apostle. But it got to be a huge pain in the a** which is one of the main reasons I decided to try vaping now. That, and getting ...... at having to freeze my a** off in rain and frigid cold by myself. No more of that now!!

stitosma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Hayden Idaho USA
We're practically neighbors Lisa..welcome!

Bluesman, or anyone really that loves coffee as much as I do (strong, straight, black please) read this thread. I thought I was going to be stuck vaping unflavored juice (which ain't bad!) then I decided to give coffee extraction a shot. If you're at all inclined, this will make your heart go pitter patter ;)

*NOT for the caffeine sensitive...vaping coffee will give you an instant though short lived boost.

Would love to hear about some bakky juices that satisfy the older and wiser as well Bluesman. Will have to wait on others for that....please? lol!

Love your avitar! I am also a coffee lover. Will have to try the coffee extract..I vape espresso from Ms T's Bakery..yummy stuff!

rave

* Resident Wood Nymph *
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2009
Raven's Haven, Indiana
I'll be 59 in a few weeks, a 3 yr vaper and and a 40 yr ex-smoker, proud to say ... 5 yrs ago had heart surgery, had both knees totally replaced, I'm diabetic with plenty of neuropathy, have pre-cancerous Barretts esophagus, had prostate surgery last year, plus a couple other minor maladies requiring meds ... I've been pretty used up over the years

when I quit tobacco and started vaping, the improvement in my over-all health was dramatic, and I must emphasize dramatic ... my health has been improving each of the last 3 years, glad to be a living part of the community and I sign, petition, call, join and promote a healthier vaping whenever I can ... thanks to those that taught us and good for them that we can teach

bbb - I'm glad that you're feeling better since starting vaping! I just wanted to mention something since you have neuropathy issues:

The nicotine that got me off of the analogs when I began was 18 and 24mg. It was my intention to lower the nicotine level over time - which I did. Gradually I decreased my nic level to 6mg. That's when I began having big problems. I have multiple sclerosis which has given me a great deal of peripheral neuropathy. My arms, legs, hands, feet, and upper back are "asleep". I can't feel the ground that I stand on unless I'm walking. I also have frequent spasms and seizures. When I lowered my nic level, this became much, much worse.

On the advice of a member of this forum who is a chemist, I raised my nic level back up to 18mg. My symptoms became better almost instantly. Nicotine helps ease "nerve pain". Just thought you may want to know that if you didn't already.

On a different subject:

I long ago lost the need for anything even remotely tasting like tobacco. After 2 1/2 years without, I am sooo over it! Not when I can vape blueberry muffin or vanilla custard!!

Bluesman: I'm almost a little disappointed that you're "a skinny white guy" because every time I read one of your posts, it was in the voice of James Earl Jones! :laugh:

Bluesman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
PA USA
Rave, love your post. Very good information. As you know, I live with a disability as well. Have you stayed at 18mg? Are you vaping any 24mg? And is there a difference?

Your not the only one who had a different perspective of me. Funny thing, our brain wants to work with pictures and we take it from there. Okay, just think of me as a skinny white guy with James Earl Jones' voice.

rave

* Resident Wood Nymph *
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2009
Raven's Haven, Indiana
Rave, love your post. Very good information. As you know, I live with a disability as well. Have you stayed at 18mg? Are you vaping any 24mg? And is there a difference?

The only time I hit the 24mg is first thing in the morning when I feel like I've got a chain saw in each hand and electric toothbrush in each sock while sitting on top of a washing machine on its spin cycle. :laugh: And yeah, it helps!

Bostonsnboxers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2011
NW OH, US
Love your avitar! I am also a coffee lover. Will have to try the coffee extract..I vape espresso from Ms T's Bakery..yummy stuff!

Love your avatar too! I have 2 Bostons and a Boxer...hence the board 'handle'. The avatar is my own sweet Buster...gosh I adore that dog...I could go on but I'll spare you all ;)

bbb ........ Nicotine helps ease "nerve pain". Just thought you may want to know that if you didn't already.

That's good to know, thank you!

James Earl Jones is one of the most beautiful voices there is :) in my opinion

I'm more of a Lawrence Fishburn girl myself ;)

bushmaster

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
Colville, WA

Your not the only one who had a different perspective of me. Funny thing, our brain wants to work with pictures and we take it from there. Okay, just think of me as a skinny white guy with James Earl Jones' voice.

Luke--you don't know the power of the dark side.
I can hear you now, Bluesman.:)

Karen171

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2011
north Texas
Hey everybody....man this thread has grown! Enjoyed catching up and reading all your posts.
I see lots of new and familiar people here....welcome!
Bluesman, like the others said...you need to start us a group. :D

When I first started vaping I had no idea what nic strength to get. I thought 24mg would be good...more is better, right? Made my head spin for sure. I found that 18mg works fine for me..so far too chicken to go lower. Going to order some 12mg someday. I guess it's just a matter of getting used to it...then go even lower. I'm afraid to try more VG than PG, too. Afraid of not getting the flavor and most of all, the TH I need. I would like to find a juice famous for killer TH and then maybe try it with more or all VG.

I love James Earl Jones! The most instantly recognizable voice out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread