Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
I took two of my coils apart and am soaking them (but only in water - I didn't have any vodka and didn't want to waste my white zin :ohmy: ) so I will see how that works, too!
You need a stronger drink than wine... One with little sugars left over... Like vodka. That way, you don't end up with sticky coils when they dry. You can get it fairly cheap... Don't have to buy top-shelf for cleaning :)
Some people use a sonic jewelry cleaner with plain water too.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
One trick with filling bottom coil devices or changing the heads.

I picked up a couple of these https://www.fasttech.com/p/1447404 which are actually designed to hold ego devices. Hoewver they work great for inverting a bottom coil device on whenever you need to take the base off (ie drip tip down in the hole of the stand). If there is any leakage they just rinse off no problem.

Imnukingfutz

Moved On
Jan 13, 2014
Great thread topic. :thumb:

I smoked for almost 30 years - a pack a day for most of it, found myself hitting the 2 pack a day mark and it was financially killing me...along with the regular killing me too.

My dad and my aunt were both diagnosed with COPD and I didnt want to go through that.

A friend turned me on to e-cigs. My first was a simple 650 mAh EVOD with a tank that came with it, I couldnt even tell you what kind it was.

I dropped the old Newport 100's in a heart beat after tasting my first e-cig. (EC Blend Vanilla Gorilla) That was 14 weeks ago.

I since have turned my dad onto vaping - gave him my starter stuff, he still smokes (even with COPD) but he smokes a lot less than he did...Small baby steps...

I look at it as vaping saved my life.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
I just clean under hot running water, dry burn as needed. Since I run thinner juices, usually 80/20, I find I have to use the flavor wicks. They do need to be replaced, and with my juices, I find one full strand of cotton yarn works well. And the chimneys become easier to remove after a few times.

A shot glass also works well to hold the topper upside down during the process.

And welcome, Futz. Just in time for us to switch over to a newly named thread. Some technical issues crop up when post count gets over 15K, so it's still going to be all of us, just a new name. Keep your eyes peeled! Congrats on the switch, and on the progress you've made with your Dad! Yep, no pressure, just keep encouraging him!

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
That's about the only way to get access to the coil and flavor wicks.

I'll usually put the base with head back on a battery, so it's easier to hold, then wiggle the chimney. Sometimes, especially on the shorter ones, a pair of small needle nose pliers is needed.

Then you can see the flavor wicks, which I find are generally ready for the trash can. But remove them to be able to see the coil. Dry burn if needed. Replace the flavor wicks, or not. With my flavors, I find they leak if I don't. Replace the chimney and silicon seal, good as new.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin

Then you can see the flavor wicks, which I find are generally ready for the trash can.
I will look at the wicks. On mine, they are silica, so I don't think they need replacing or removal. It certainly makes checking, soaking in denture tab solution, and dry burning them easier.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana

I'll usually put the base with head back on a battery, so it's easier to hold, then wiggle the chimney. Sometimes, especially on the shorter ones, a pair of small needle nose pliers is needed.

Then you can see the flavor wicks, which I find are generally ready for the trash can. But remove them to be able to see the coil. Dry burn if needed. Replace the flavor wicks, or not. With my flavors, I find they leak if I don't. Replace the chimney and silicon seal, good as new.

I keep an old dead battery around to use to pull the chimneys off with. WHy mess up a perfectly good 510 connector if things go wrong.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
I will look at the wicks. On mine, they are silica, so I don't think they need replacing or removal. It certainly makes checking, soaking in denture tab solution, and dry burning them easier.

Originals, on Kangers, are two 1 mm silica strands for flavor wicks. Some of the Davide's have 3. But I usually find they're pretty messed up, gunked and maybe a bit shredded, so just replace them. Main coil wick is silica, and good for a long time.

Yup, using an old dead ego as a dis-assembly base is a good idea, for the "oops." :) Or that ego threaded adapter - nice find!

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I just started a batch. I am curious about this, as it might prevent me from having to order new bottom coils as frequently. And I can recycle the wicks from dead top coils into the bottom coils.

I run thicker 50/50 juices. So when I was replacing flavor wicks I tended to use just ONE ply of a 2.5-3mm silica wick. If you are going to recycle the long strands off a top coil in many cases those are thick like 2-3 mm so you might want to split them.

With cotton yarn, the stuff I bought was 4 ply so I split it and used 2 of the 4 plys. Cotton swells up alot.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
I run thicker 50/50 juices. So when I was replacing flavor wicks I tended to use just ONE ply of a 2.5-3mm silica wick. If you are going to recycle the long strands off a top coil in many cases those are thick like 2-3 mm so you might want to split them.
Yup.....That was what I was planning on doing. :p I hope that top coil I am soaking is done for. LOL!!

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
I just started a batch. I am curious about this, as it might prevent me from having to order new bottom coils as frequently. And I can recycle the wicks from dead top coils into the bottom coils.
Well, my top coil was fine. The flavor wicks in the bottom coils dropped out, so I discarded them. I'm going to try without. Since I also use 50-50, this might also prevent dry hits when I vape on every breath.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Well, my top coil was fine. The flavor wicks in the bottom coils dropped out, so I discarded them. I'm going to try without. Since I also use 50-50, this might also prevent dry hits when I vape on every breath.

If you have some 100% cotton balls or qtips you can just pinch off a tiny bit of that cotton and stick that in place of the flavor wicks

I usually boil cotton first but in an emergency I am sure it would be ok.

williegntx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2009
Central Texas
Yes, I have an adapter on my Vamo's and suggest they are cheap insurance for preserving the original threads. I really like the looks of these and the price is very good!

NICE link there... Thanks! The 510 connections often strip out on batteries and this will give a second life!

I liked the top coils until the EVOD showed up then went on to the ProTanks, Aspires and waiting for the Nautilus to arrive (probably another month). PTs are my favorite, like I've said before...Micro coil with cotton. As for the 'Flavor Wicks', I vape max VG...I like the plumes of vapor...with silica wicks some have said that removing the FW helps with those that chain vape. IDK, only way I can CV is with the cotton wick without getting 'Dry Hits'. So, 0mg you may be pleasantly surprised.

Oh, BTW Happy Belated Birthday! :toast: :vapor:

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
IDK, only way I can CV is with the cotton wick without getting 'Dry Hits'. So, 0mg you may be pleasantly surprised.

Oh, BTW Happy Belated Birthday! :toast: :vapor:

Thank you. I have some cotton swabs, so that would be workable without an extra penny spent. I'll try it both ways.

It was a good birthday.

williegntx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2009
Central Texas
IDK about the 'cotton swabs'...you talking about using a bit of cotton for the flavor wick? Gotta be pretty small and my guess is you'll be better off without the FW if and it sounds like your a chain vaper.

I gave up on silica...not enough flavor and the other side effects.

Thank you. I have some cotton swabs, so that would be workable without an extra penny spent. I'll try it both ways.

It was a good birthday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread