People are too easily manipulated, even in this community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FictitiousFreedom

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2014
WV
Nope, not even close. I've never even attempted a review. Not my thing. Like I have said over and over, I was just interested in what people thought about it, why so many of you are getting aggro and defensive is beyond me but for some reason that has become the focus of this and that is not what I intended so this thread just needs to die. No reason to feed the negative people, that accomplishes no good whatsoever. I got a few honest opinions and people that were actually trying to discuss and share, and that's good enough for me.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

EJAB

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2014
North Las Vegas, Nevada,U.S.A.
Sure, discuss freely! However, in your op you said , "...[reviewers get to] decide which companies make it or not based on a small royalty,". You also specifically mention rip trippers. If that isn't calling someone out, I don't know WHAT is. I was replying to let you know that he is in fact a genuine dude, and doesn't hype up any product based on "royalties".

Again, nothing wrong with discussion! It goes both ways though, if you are going to present an idea via a thread, be willing and ready for people to respond to that topic, in a brutally honest way without getting offended ;)
Like you know RIP tripper..LOL. FanBoy

optsmk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Pleasanton, Ca.
I'm not trying to be negative in any way, I've just noticed something happening within this community that bothers me, now its obviously inevitable but I'm wondering how people feel about this.

I've noticed that if reviewers, mainly rip, reviews a product, it is instantly sold out and everyone can't wait to get one. Now, in every other aspect of life the majority of people don't think for themselves, in a society so grossly infested with propaganda, marketing, and indoctrination, as a citizen and consumer its nearly impossible to escape it. The thing that bothers me is that I don't want the vapeing industry and community to become how everything else is. with that world of industry comes ....tier products, higher prices, tax, regulation and bull.....

So, I know I'm over reacting and the fact that a few reviewers set the bar, and decide which companies make it or not based on a small royalty, isnt going to ruin our community but it still personally bothers me that people do this. I'm not blaming these reviewers whatsoever, I would do the same thing just for the free gear, I'm blaming us, the consumer for not deciding for ourselves what we like. The next few years are super important for the vaping community and if we can't even choose what products we should buy how are we gonna fight regulations and taxation? In America we have forgotten how to fight for our freedoms and its going to be our downfall, I atleast want to vape freely lol

Dude, you are way over reacting. The facts that you state are totally farcical. While I'm sure that some people buy stuff because of what the reviewers say, not everyone does. With vaping especially, it's totally based on personal opinion. What is great to one vaper, sucks to another vaper, and vice versa. I don't think I have ever purchased anything based solely on a review. But I do watch them for facts and opinions. Thats probably why I like Phil's reviews so much.

Edit: Oh and I like Rip's reviews too. He is very entertaining, especially when he says stuff like Ohhhhhhhhhh Yeahhhhhh after he takes a hit. :)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
We are programmed to want the latest and the greatest. Why are infomercials so successful? We all want to believe the hype. I learned long ago (the hard way) that 9.5 out of 10 items advertised and sold by "As Seen on TV" stores are junk designs that didn't make it into the mainstream.

I broke down and bought my aging Mother one of those expandable hoses to water her flowers. She couldn't handle the heavy ones. First time I used it the end popped off while using a trigger sprayer nozzle. Good thing I bought it at a store that sells closeouts for cheaper prices. :)

TheJakeBailey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Austin,TX, USA
I read this thread early on, and thought I would come back to see if it had taken on some kind of form or direction. Nope, not really! lol

For the life of me, i really can't figure out a BETTER system for deciding what to purchase than watching and reading reviews from people who have used the products. There is no store to go to that is going to carry every piece of vape gear out there. I can't put my hands on it. I certainly can't buy it all to sort through the good from the bad myself. So what would the op propose in it's place?? I'm confused on how after this many pages, it's even still thought to be an interesting discussion?

I watch several reviewers. I've seen them all say something is crap, I've seen them all get really excited about something. It doesn't mean that i purchase everything they like, nor does it mean I didn't purchase something that they didn't like. But by law of averages, if 50 reviewers say something sucks, and tell you why, it just might suck.

The only other valid point I can think to bring up, is that anybody using something is comparing it to what they have used before. This is an extremely fast growing and changing industry. Yesterdays "game changer," is todays old garbage. That doesn't mean it wasn't still a game changer yesterday. (I'm looking at you Kanger Protank) Just look at how RDA's have changed over the last year! We went from the Patriot to the Magma. Conical top caps, heat sinks, etc, etc.

As far as hurting Mod Makers. I can't even see how anybody feels that having your product reviewed and seen by thousands of people who otherwise wouldn't have known about it is bad. If you make a good mod, you will sell a hell of a lot more of it. If you make a crappy mod... Well, you should make a better one, or not be making mods. This is the same for every product on the market, of any kind.

Nick N

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2014
Columbus, Ohio
This doesn't have as much to do with reviews as it does the "forum effect". This is not confined to vaping equipment, as I have seen it with car audio, smartphones (Android mostly) and cars.

In my search for a regulated mod, I kept seeing the Vamo come up as a pretty popular choice. Focalecig had them in a group buy for $20 so I ordered it.

While waiting for my shipment to arrive (it is almost here) I continued reading more and more about the hit and miss build quality and that there are better options out there. I started to have buyers remorse but decided that I would stick it out (for $20 why not?).

It is hard to keep up with all the information (and misinformation) out there. Reviews can be great but common sense must prevail! We have all read " reviews" on Amazon where the buyer hasn't even received it and is already knocking or praising the item.

Last edited:

lgustavus81

Jun 13, 2014
Houston TX
Me personally I have never bought any vaping gear off of a review video. In fact the only review video is have watched to date was PBrusardo's comparison of some of the newer tanks (Aspire Nautilus vs Aerotanks) but it had already owned 2 of the Nautilus tanks at that point. If was just curious as to other people's experiences with a product that I've enjoyed using. Now it have a youtube channel myself that is dedicated to guns and just doing some shooting with the family. At times in get comments about the equipment is use and it reply with what has worked for ME. I'm not posting this to be defensive or bash anyone's opinion on this subject. If personally like to research something before it drop a large chunk of money on it. Mostly why it still haven't hit the order button on my gunmetal Provari! :) some people have the mindset that the latest and greatest is the way to go and if they can afford it is say more power to them!:) right now my personal device of choice is my Coolfire 2 with a Nautilus on top of it!:) gets alot of looks when people see me with a grenade looking object in my hand and have also gotten more than a few people asking about vaping!:) it was stated earlier in this post that the review vids present an opportunity for more exposure to this fledgling movement that we all enjoy in our vaping experience and I see that as a good thing personally. So there was my 2 cents and it hope that I have expressed my personal opinions without offending anyone:)

sent from my damned S4!:)

Last edited:

Nick N

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2014
Columbus, Ohio
In the words of Auldous Huxley, "You pays your money and you takes your choice".
Thanks for the quick wiki read. I always find myself looking up things.

"He became deeply concerned that human beings might become subjugated through the 1. sophisticated use of the mass media or 2. mood-altering drugs, or 3. tragically impacted by misunderstanding or the misapplication of increasingly sophisticated technology."

1. YouTube vape gear reviewers
2. Nicotine "OD" when using 24mg in an RDA
3. "Sub-ohming" without a meter

[emoji14]

Last edited:

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
I'm not trying to be negative in any way, I've just noticed something happening within this community that bothers me, now its obviously inevitable but I'm wondering how people feel about this.

I've noticed that if reviewers, mainly rip, reviews a product, it is instantly sold out and everyone can't wait to get one. Now, in every other aspect of life the majority of people don't think for themselves, in a society so grossly infested with propaganda, marketing, and indoctrination, as a citizen and consumer its nearly impossible to escape it. The thing that bothers me is that I don't want the vapeing industry and community to become how everything else is. with that world of industry comes ....tier products, higher prices, tax, regulation and bull.....

So, I know I'm over reacting and the fact that a few reviewers set the bar, and decide which companies make it or not based on a small royalty, isnt going to ruin our community but it still personally bothers me that people do this. I'm not blaming these reviewers whatsoever, I would do the same thing just for the free gear, I'm blaming us, the consumer for not deciding for ourselves what we like. The next few years are super important for the vaping community and if we can't even choose what products we should buy how are we gonna fight regulations and taxation? In America we have forgotten how to fight for our freedoms and its going to be our downfall, I atleast want to vape freely lol

In todays World many people do not think for themselves , your absolutely right , they are followers , i do not do Twitter or Facebook and i have no interest in following anybody but others do and thats their right.

I also do not watch videos , well i did manage to get through one by Phil B because he is at least normal but the others , forgetaboutit , they are unwatchable but thats just my opinion.

Do i agree what some others do , no not really but they are their own person and can do as they wish , and i'll do the same , to each their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread