Happy Anniversary, David! And congratulations! :toast:

5th-birthday-wine.jpg

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
I hadn't heard about them selling out to BT but I went full on DIY after they reformulated their flavors. Flavors once enjoyed became unvapable to me :(
iirc they were the liquid supplier for Blu, and then they weren't, and then I seem to remember(but not specifically) that they backed some legislation or some regulation concepts that would have been okay for them but horrible for smaller vape companies. They also had their branded ego that quickly became obsolete. I know I tried some of their liquids but never liked them, and never felt like supporting them "just because."

Here's one article that I found.

Do you remember this article from August of 2012, in which I reported that Johnson Creek Smoke juice had closed its affiliate program and speculated that the company might be up for sale? My prediction has come to pass, although not quite in the way I guessed. The Milwaukee Wisconsin Journal Sentinel reports that Republic Tobacco has purchased a 50 percent stake in Johnson Creek Smoke Juice and will add the brand’s products to its distribution network.

Republic Tobacco’s best known brand is Zig-Zag, which coincidentally you can already find in the e-cigarette marketplace in the form of flavor cartridges sold by V2 Cigs. Although Johnson Creek didn’t disclose the terms of the sale, they have made it known that they earned $16 million in revenue last year and are projected to earn $25 million this year. According to Johnson Creek founder Christian Berkey, selling half of the company to Republic Tobacco will “increase our distribution network 20-fold.”

Republic Tobacco Buys Half of Johnson Creek Smoke Juice - eCig One

I don't know what happened after that. There's old threads on here about it but don't really care enough to look them up. Well, not exactly true. If I look them up then I'll be stuck reading through them and following links and then... :( I think the short version goes they were making 25 million a year, BT bought 50%, the company went bankrupt in three or four years.

@DavidOck

Congratulations!

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Here's one article that I found.

I don't know what happened after that. There's old threads on here about it but don't really care enough to look them up. Well, not exactly true. If I look them up then I'll be stuck reading through them and following links and then... :( I think the short version goes they were making 25 million a year, BT bought 50%, the company went bankrupt in three or four years

It sounds like they tried running with the big dogs and ended up with the scraps.....I think reformulating the flavors folks had come to like, for what ever reason, killed them but of course I don't really know that. I just know I liked it at first and then one day I bought some more of the same thing and it was unvapable.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA

Happy Anniversary, David! And congratulations! :toast:

5th-birthday-wine.jpg

I'll drink to that!

5 years....Nice....Congrats. I recently hit 3.5 years cig-free after a 50 year habit.

smiley-score010.gif

Well on your way, Zcar!!

Hopefully we can get the FuDA and States out of the way so more can join us as ex-smokers!!

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
jest_tak_goraco_ze_nawet_chomiki_sie_roztopily.jpg

There are five, can you find them?

It sounds like they tried running with the big dogs and ended up with the scraps.....I think reformulating the flavors folks had come to like, for what ever reason, killed them but of course I don't really know that. I just know I liked it at first and then one day I bought some more of the same thing and it was unvapable.

You and a lot of other people, from what I recall.

5 years....Nice....Congrats. I recently hit 3.5 years cig-free after a 50 year habit.

@ZCAR1 3.5 years is great! :thumbs: 50 years smoking? I smoked for 43 and tried to quit my first year, and multiple times every year after that. I really struggled with vaping, dual user for 5 months. Will be five years a happy quitter next March. Were you one of those that tried and tried and tried to quit? Man, I tried just about everything I heard of. The most I went was one miserable day. Usually only made it a couple of hours. Upping my nic to 24mg was the turning point. Got a full day of happy vaping and no nic and haven't looked back. :D It was a little harder than that but is the gist of it. How did it go for you?

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
jest_tak_goraco_ze_nawet_chomiki_sie_roztopily.jpg

There are five, can you find them?
Yep :D

Tuesday was a very sad day for us. Our last sweet little flying squirrel crossed the rainbow bridge. He was 14 1/2 years old so lived a very long life. I remember when he looked like this...
0163cb3a9ce24ca6f6f00b0cc8c49d3e--cutest-baby-animals-adorable-animals.jpg

We lost his sister last year and his mom earlier this year :( It is so sad losing them but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. They will be missed......

This is a photo I found online but every flying squirrel I have ever seen looks just like this so it could be one I took. I have some but can't find them :(

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Yep :D

Tuesday was a very sad day for us. Our last sweet little flying squirrel crossed the rainbow bridge. He was 14 1/2 years old so lived a very long life. I remember when he looked like this...
0163cb3a9ce24ca6f6f00b0cc8c49d3e--cutest-baby-animals-adorable-animals.jpg

We lost his sister last year and his mom earlier this year :( It is so sad losing them but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. They will be missed......

This is a photo I found online but every flying squirrel I have ever seen looks just like this so it could be one I took. I have some but can't find them :(

There are no words to tell you how sorry I am for your loss. :cry: It is amazing how a tiny creature can create such so much warmth and love in a house and your heart (though it is all about them isn't it?) and leave such an bleak crater in the home and your heart when they depart. They were so lucky to have you in their lives and vice versa. :wub: Hang in there, I know it's tough right now and, well, I'm just heartbroken for you.

I can see it when I reply, no idea why it doesn't come up. Adorable. :wub: Is that one of yours? Let's see if I can get another one to post .

Weird, all it posts is . That's never happened before. :(

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/media/images/80880000/jpg/_80880428_wikipedia-tokumi.jpg

EDIT: Posting pics seems to be broken tonight. Hope it works tomorrow.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member

Thank you so much FT :wub: It gets easier each day as we pass by where their cage was. I could hold all 3 of them in one hand but their cage was huge. We put all kinds of things in there for them to climb on and jump from. They had everything we could think of that a flying squirrel would want, to live as normal a life as was possible in captivity.

The photo that won't show up is of a sugar glider. They are in the same family as the flying squirrels. I wanted on at one point in my life but was never blessed with one.

Most of the flying squirrels we captured in our attic went to live in a huge outdoor cage. Those fortunate creatures had trees and everything else they enjoyed in the wild with none of the dangers they face every night. We kept one male and one female at first but soon discovered that the male was not a happy camper so took him out to join the ones we took to the outdoor cage. Before long we discovered that he had left us a gift and Giz (our female) was pregnant. :D This fantastic journey started Thanksgiving night 2002 and sadly finally finished last Tuesday. I wouldn't trade those almost 15 years for anything.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Hmm... iirc, Johnson Creek juices were (are) 100% VG--which is why I always avoided them, regardless of politics. ;)
No, their "new" line was 100% VG and designed for people with PG allergies.
That was back so long ago that very few will remember it.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread