petition needs your signature

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Lessifer, just my take on the petition. It was created with an effort to address the potential (pending) deeming regulation as it pertained to vaping. It addresses your concerns and the concerns of at least 30,000 other people. You should not consider changing the petition, it serves its purpose, is well written and focused on an important issue. Others may not agree which is their prerogative and everyone has the ability to create a petition suited to a more global agenda.

Don't get distracted by feedback that you may have not covered all THR products. Being targeted and focused seems like a good plan. Painting with a broad brush will/could water down the goal of addressing the specific issue of vaping.

A targeted effort may/should receive a direct review and response as it directly relates to the FDA's Deeming Regulation of Vapor Products.

Changing it now would make the 30,000 signatures invalid. Stay the course because nobody else stepped up to do what you have already done. Its good, I think its very good!

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California

I just love it when people criticize something without even reading it.
I'll paraphrase a few comments here, because I'm not going to waste more time going back for direct quotes.

"Maybe if they had 17,000 signatures it would be something to pay attention to"
We just hit 30,000.

"Petitioning the FDA won't accomplish anything"
Yes, I'm aware of that, which is why it's a petition to the Senate and House, those who can actually do something.

"Direct action like the CTA's from CASAA actually do something."
I agree, that's why I used the petition update system to spread that CTA to 27,000+ people, and tomorrow I'll send it out again to over 30,000.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
So, apparently I missed a whole discussion of the petition, well online vape petitions since I didn't see any specific references to this one, on the CASAA members fb group. I wasn't aware there was a CASAA members fb group that is different from the CASAA media page. I had seen Carl Phillips mock petition asking vapers to stop signing vape petitions before. It's a lot of the same "petitions don't influence the decision makers" and "give people a false sense of doing something worthwhile."

It still leaves me with the same questions:
What are we doing to actively fight the deeming regulations?
Supporting HR2058 will help mitigate the results of the deeming, but I don't see it as opposing the deeming itself. I almost see it as "you're right, it's tobacco, but at least give us the same chances you gave all of the other tobacco companies." That is not how I feel, though it would be better than nothing.
Why do people see petitions as just a petition, and not the social media awareness tool that they can be?
Even if someone does nothing else vape activism related and they ONLY sign and share the petition, if someone else that they share it with decides to do more, like join CASAA and respond to a CTA, isn't that a net gain?
How do we reach those non-vapers/non-smokers that might actually support our cause if they knew more?

I don't know, I'm not giving up, I believe the petition can do good and I thank all of you who continue to support it.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Les,

For what it's worth the petition unifies a lot of people to a single voice. I think it has impact where the individual letters to representatives is fragmented and easily "lost" in the paperwork shuffle. At the very least it will have to be noticed and as the signatures grow it will create a better chance for us to get noticed and warrant a response.

I believe that its well written and the first instance where someone has created a unified voice.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California

I plugged this as much as possible, but for some reason this isn't getting tons of signatures quickly - and you would think the vaping crowd at least would most certainly be jumping on this bandwagon to sign as it is in our best interest..

The need 100,000 is signatures from all I know about petitions.. hopefully we can figure out how to get more people signing..

although, since I signed the other day 250 more have signed.. so I guess its getting there, slowly but surely!
It grows in fits and spurts. One day 100 people sign, the next 1000, then back to 100. The important thing is that we're letting people know there is a fight coming, and there are ways to get involved, beyond the petition. The petition is more an announcement than anything else, a way to spread information and keep spreading it.

The way it becomes effective is by people doing just what you did. Signing and then sharing, with everyone, vaper or not. If they're your friend, they care about you, some will care enough to help. Some may care enough to write emails/letters to legislators. It's the power of social media activism. The media isn't how you affect change, it's how you gather the troops.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Late afternoon bump
image.jpeg

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
I just bought www . vapingpetition . com - it redirects to the petition at change.org (if you're not seeing it, give it a few minutes - I literally just bought it a minute ago). It expires in a year, but I highly doubt we'll need it that long.

NOTE : I only got this to help out with printed materials, I strongly suggest everyone continue using the change.org link for online stuff because it is so recognizable. And you don't have to use this domain for printed stuff, it's just an option for a lot shorter (and easier to remember) link to put on fliers and business cards - if you want to.

If you're really short on space (business cards?) you can also drop the www and just put vapingpetition.com - that's the main reason I bought it, I plan to print business cards and leave them at nearby vape shops.

Edit - it's so hard to put a domain in a post these days without it changing it!! I had to add in spaces.

philoshop

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
geneva, ny, usa
I've printed up a stack of cards with the shorter URL to take to a wedding tomorrow.
With one of the guests bringing a couple of bottles of primo bourbon up from Kentucky with him it'll be a race whether the cards or the bearer is passed out first. o_O
I'll do ya'll proud! :D

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Just got an email - an FDA workshop indicated that "Second hand vapor" is a non-issue. Bystanders had biomarkers 5000 times less than those of actual vapers. Also, "People who solely use vapor products show NONE of the biomarkers associated with tobacco or tobacco related diseases, in a study done by one of the presenters, aside from nicotine."

KEEP THE PETITION ROLLING!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread