Status
Not open for further replies.

Keekers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Michigan
OK folks we are just about to start a new programme of upgrades, this time focussed on page load speed. We might be able to get 25% off it so we're looking forward to seeing the results.

If you can write down what your current speeds are it will help us later on:
- Flush all browser data except passwords
- Close browser
- Open browser
- Go to ECF front page - time it for the main part of the page to open [not all the other stuff :) ]
- Then go to this thread and time how long it takes to open so you can see the top post
- Then go to a monster thread like the 'Response on threads' one where every ECF member has posted eight times a day for the past two years, and time that to the first post being visible please.

We'll do something every week for the next three or four weeks and see what the result is.
If anyone wants help speeding up their browser, PC or network I'm going to open a thread for that purpose.

ECF front page: 13 seconds and then 6 seconds once I tried it again
This thread: 5 seconds
"Response on threads," 10 seconds

Thanks Rolygate

Keekers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Michigan
Thank you SJ for trying to help with this problem. Just for your info I just loaded the 2 high traffic threads I tried earlier today and it took 17 secs for one and 14 secs for the other to load. It is 4pm my time. By 7pm pages will load even slower. Just throwing that in. Fingers and toes are crossed that you can do something to at least cut those times in half. :)

REO Lounge: 10 seconds

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
OK folks we are just about to start a new programme of upgrades, this time focussed on page load speed. We might be able to get 25% off it so we're looking forward to seeing the results.

If you can write down what your current speeds are it will help us later on:
- Flush all browser data except passwords
- Close browser
- Open browser
- Go to ECF front page - time it for the main part of the page to open [not all the other stuff :) ]
- Then go to this thread and time how long it takes to open so you can see the top post
- Then go to a monster thread like the 'Response on threads' one where every ECF member has posted eight times a day for the past two years, and time that to the first post being visible please.

We'll do something every week for the next three or four weeks and see what the result is.

If anyone wants help speeding up their browser, PC or network I'm going to open a thread for that purpose.

Front page--under 2 seconds

This thread--under 2 seconds

Response on threads: 8 seconds

(Burning cartomizers--3 seconds :))

Using Windows 7 and IE 9. There's nothing wrong with IE 9. :D

I got very similar results with Chrome and FF, BTW.

This is record speed for me. Normally I have to wait 15-16 seconds to get to "My Posts," for instance. I wonder if flushing all browser data had anything to do with it...:unsure:

Last edited:

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
The library is too big... we need to tear more pages out of the books and hide them in the basement... that should help!

I'm not experiencing faster times... but I do have an irritation caused by my Supplier Thread being closed and restarted by "guest"... and this means it's no longer my thread to open and close if I choose.

I'm curious about one thing...

Why were all the social media buttons added, only to have management tell us to disable them in our browser?

The site started slowing down the INSTANT they were added... and I'll bet it speeds right back up if you remove them.

Ad blocker doesn't tell the server to not send the data... it tells the browser to not render the data... it's still downloading!

Trench

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
The library is too big... we need to tear more pages out of the books and hide them in the basement... that should help!

Spot on.

This whole fiasco is pointless. This forum needs a qualified software developer on staff because the choices being made here are not the right ones.

The "test" scenarios being pushed on us users don't do jack to prove anything. The problem is either server-side or just the horrendous amount of cross-domain-loading nonsense in the html. Why are trying to put the blame on users?

If you want the stupid cross-domain stuff, at least learn how to make it "deferred" (ie load after the document is ready).

I'm going to run some client side tests. BRB. :D

Trench

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
OK. First thing I notice is that there's a bunch of client side logging going on. This should only be enabled during development/testing. It's probably not causing too much slow down, but every cycle counts.

Next. Most static resources originating from ECF are being cached correctly. A lot aren't.

There's a LOT of resources loaded from outside domains that are not being loaded deferred. This is a page load killer right here!

There's a total of 31 static resources being served from the main ECF domain on every page load and I count a total of 19 cookies stored on my machine from ECF. Each of those requests send every cookie along with it. I see a total of 66 bytes of cookie data for each of those 31 requests. That a total of 2kb of meaningless data getting *pushed* to your server; ON EVERY PAGE LOAD. A great optimization would be to simply serve static resources from something like "resources.ecf.com". The ECF cookies will not be attached to those requests and the the size of the requests get dramatically reduced.

GZip is your friend. Use it!

Aside from that, it's gonna be all server side.

Simply creating new threads from "big" ones will not help you one bit. Threads are a virtual idea. A thread could be 1 billion pages long and have no effect on performance.

I suspect you either need to throw more hardware at it or your database is fragmented. Try rebuilding the indexes. It's an easy start.

Last edited:

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
...Simply creating new threads from "big" ones will not help you one bit. Threads are a virtual idea. A thread could be 1 billion pages long and have no effect on performance.

I suspect you either need to throw more hardware at it or your database is fragmented. Try rebuilding the indexes. It's an easy start.

^^^ That!

Thread size has no effect (if you experienced a difference, it was coincidence, as this is simple fact). And now with this close threads and force new threads, you've caused "real" fragmentation with the users who had their bookmarks and subscriptions set, and now have to start over with popular threads, amongst other issues. Not logical, IMHO.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread