MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Ego-T Adapter

they are adjustable at the atty end with a small screwdriver to make sure it will make contact if you ever run into that problem.

Are they selling an adjustable one again? The one I got from ProVape a couple months back is not adjustable. It doesn't have that small slot in the post to insert a small screwdriver.

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
Are they selling an adjustable one again? The one I got from ProVape a couple months back is not adjustable. It doesn't have that small slot in the post to insert a small screwdriver.

Its doesnt need the screwdriver slot to be adjusted . Just take a razor blade or anything thin and just pry it up a little.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
This may have been answered, if so, my apologies.

I want to build a DIY Box Mod with variable wattage. The Provari seems to be the only Mod on the market with this feature.

Does anyone know where I could get just the IC Board that would work like the Provari?

Unless you made a mistake in your post - you've got it wrong. The Provari isn't variable wattage it's variable voltage.

TheBlueAdept

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2010
Northern California
Unless you made a mistake in your post - you've got it wrong. The Provari isn't variable wattage it's variable voltage.

I suspect it works out the same in the end, since by varying the voltage you are in effect varying the wattage also (assuming the carto resistance remains constant.)

Stonemull

ECF Veteran
Verified Member

that screwdriver slot was for airflow I guess, you can turn it till the cows come home and the post does not actually move, theres no thread in there.
perhaps just the act of putting a screwdriver in it and turning it moves it by pushing it in the silicon insulator.

Riverboat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2012
Arizona
I suspect it works out the same in the end, since by varying the voltage you are in effect varying the wattage also (assuming the carto resistance remains constant.)

Not the same at all... Here the thing, an attys resistance will change with usage.. Im using an HH357 custom, when it was new it read at 2.5-2.6 ohms.. After about 10 days of use on my Provari it reads at 1.9 ohms so I manualy turned down the voltage so I could stay in the 10 watt vape area.. Now with a VW mod or Kicked VW it will self adjust to keep a constant that it was set at... Thats the plus I like better about VW, you set it and forget it... With the VV Provari I am needing to check my attys resistance to keep things constant........

TheBlueAdept

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2010
Northern California
Not the same at all... Here the thing, an attys resistance will change with usage.. Im using an HH357 custom, when it was new it read at 2.5-2.6 ohms.. After about 10 days of use on my Provari it reads at 1.9 ohms so I manualy turned down the voltage so I could stay in the 10 watt vape area.. Now with a VW mod or Kicked VW it will self adjust to keep a constant that it was set at... Thats the plus I like better about VW, you set it and forget it... With the VV Provari I am needing to check my attys resistance to keep things constant........

Ah, I see what you're saying. That makes sense. Thanks for pointing that out to me, Riverboat!

Stonemull

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
it is NOT pwm, pwm implies the switched voltage is applied to the load directly, the filtering being performed by the load itself.
it is not being simply 'cleaned up' .. thats implying a simple RC filter. you are completely ignoring the magnetics for energy storage providing the boost.

You can oversimplify things too much, yes they both use a switching device used saturated to gain efficiency, the basic form of regulation is then a variable duty cycle waveform.

but to me its like saying a motorbike is the same as a car as they both have wheels and in a technical discussion is just wrong.

icucme2

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2012
Costa Mesa, ca
so i bought a provari v2 during their "blemished" chrome sale. i love it. i also bought 2 batteries and their tenergy charger. i notice that my battery only last about 4-5 hours of vaping. and im not really chain vaping either. before i notice the red starts up blinking. how long does an average battery last? i just have he 18490 red imr ones they sell on provape. did i get a dud provari?? supposedly all the internals r brand new and under warranty. i just want to know before i contact them for repair.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
4-5 hours of vaping is no measure; it depends how many discharges of the batt no?
You can measure by time but it depends on how much you vape during that time.
A better measure is how much juice you go through.
Actually, if I vape hard for a few hours; say 3mil of juice, that's all a 18490 will put out.
Go with the 18650, and get a few batteries, a good charger and keep a couple per day.
I have a Pila charger and go through 2 18650's a day if I vape all day and evening.

so i bought a provari v2 during their "blemished" chrome sale. i love it. i also bought 2 batteries and their tenergy charger. i notice that my battery only last about 4-5 hours of vaping. and im not really chain vaping either. before i notice the red starts up blinking. how long does an average battery last? i just have he 18490 red imr ones they sell on provape. did i get a dud provari?? supposedly all the internals r brand new and under warranty. i just want to know before i contact them for repair.

narcosleepygirl

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2010
Seattle
From the horse's mouth regarding PWM:

PWM can be implemented in a couple of different forms. The main reason for using PWM is to switch MOSFETs (Metal Oxide Field Effect Transistors) on and off in a digital manner to keep the voltage drop and thus power loss as low as possible. This keeps the total converter efficiency high. In our case when the MOSFET very quickly switches the current off to the main converter inductor it transfers its stored charge to an output capacitor bank. The capacitor bank thus switches the PWM switched current to a constant output dc voltage. This output voltage is monitored in a feedback loop to very accurately control the energy to the atty. If the output was not converted to a dc voltage it would be very hard to monitor the output power in a feedback control loop. The output would be a duty cycle on/off waveform that is difficult to control.

We recommend you look at some of the standard power converter text books. The block diagrams for different forms of PWM converters are discussed.

The Provari is measured to run close to 95% efficiency.

Enjoy it.

-- Provape Engineering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread