Quality of Mods, Which ones are Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flexy123

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
I have two isticks, one 30W, one newer istick 40W TC, one Disrupter.

The istick 40W is barely a month old and already got the "atomizer short" problem which I sort of temporarily fixed with an o-ring. But for me this is a sign for shoddy manufacturing and poor quality!

I am wondering what electronic VV/VW mods are "high quality", I am not looking for anything super powerful, in-fact 30-50W is totally sufficient. But they should'nt start to make troubles after one months of use, this is BS!

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
iSticks are budget devices not generally known for their longevity, though some people have had good millage out of theirs. 'High quality' is subjective, everyone has a slightly different experience with the same device.

A lot of devices out of China are built to be highly competitive on price, which inevitably means some degree of cost-saving during manufacturing. You can't produce a device for $20 that's going to last a lifetime. You can help yourself by treating the mod with care and using a silicon sleeve. If you want bullet proof, maybe consider using a mechanic tube mod.

I'm sure others will be along with some suggestions on what they consider to be high quality devices in a higher price range than the iSticks.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
There are some better built mods floating around. I think it is a conscious decision by a company to produce one, though. So many people seem to go for the low priced ones so they get most of the news.

I started out like most, but I got into the performance of DC power and that led me away from many. Currently, I have a Provari, Vapershark rDNA30 & rDNA40, Reo, and an SX Mini. They all have some age on them and, yes, the VS paint is rather lousy. I think the VS DNA30 is at 2 years. Anyway, none of them are particularly inexpensive, but, I think you get what you pay for.

I would look for an Evolve DNA40 chip. They seem to have more experience over the Yihi SX chips, not that Yihi are bad at all. Just seems like their are more DNA40 mods out there.

Good Luck!

Reactions: Redjove

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
Quality and value depend on one's needs, expectations and perspective.
Needs change slower than the other 2. I've been using the istick 40 for 6 months or so now but paid 60.00CAD for it. At this point I figure it owes me nothing if it goes belly up. I sort of expect it to last me a year or 2 but at this point, know that at 10.00/month after 6 mos. it really doesn't "owe" me anything. I'm on bonus time.
It is a "luck of the draw" scenario with any mass produced item. You may have just received the shorter stick with your istick(haha).
Truly unfortunate. Cheers.

Last edited:

rice721

1.21 GigaWatts!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2016
Shanghai
Joytech and Wismec have so far left me wanting. Its their 510 pin and how its prone to sticking when using a longer 510 atty.

The sigelei 213 its a bit reasonably priced for a solid product ~$90. Boxer mods are known for quality but those come with a price tag. Yihi is also a forum favorite. Vaporshark DNA200, Lavabox, Dicodes, etc.

With gear you get what you pay for in terms of box mods. Not so much RTAs or clearos as $25 can net you a solid piece.

Reactions: gofishtx

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
I have several mods and like Rice721, I am unimpressed by Joyetech Wismec Devices. My longest lasting and still works great is the IPV3 LI. I got it used and it is over a year old and still going strong although it looks like I ran it over with a lawnmower. I just got the new IPV5 and it has the same sturdy construction and the sx330 Yihi chip. I keep saying I am going to get a Sigelei mod but I have friends that theirs have bricked after a few months and the battery life on My sigelei 75 is severely lacking. The 510 pin on the IPVs have handled every tank or RDA I put on it with no problems. I'm hoping my IPV5 holds up just as well as the IPV3 LI. The finish is definitely better.

Last edited:
Reactions: rice721

rice721

1.21 GigaWatts!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2016
Shanghai
Dicodes is pretty good quality and they back it up with 2 years warranty...they are however quite a bit more expensive than an Istick

Dicodes make solid products. Just got my dani extreme v2+ (18350 version). this thing is a beauty. Its almost like having a mech mod but regulated. Boxer mods by gingervaper also gets another vote, quality device and their after sales service is just top notch.

I feel like a big part of quality also comes from after sales service. China manufacturers cheap and affordable quality products but most of these Chinese companies fail in after sale service. I've dealt with a few of them both State side and in Shanghai, to say the least they've left me with a bad impression.

Reactions: drugarth

Kabong30

Feb 7, 2016
Caddo Mills, TX
Don't know about the Wismec Vaporflasks (cause I don't have one) but I have the Vapor Shark DNA40 flask and while some folks have had issues with the coating (I threw a skin on mine day one) it has been bulletproof. Only 40 watts, but dang to I love the thing. Really dig my RX200 as well (for the price? Greatness). Got an Aspire Pegasus that feels great too. I like the iStick 100TC a lot as well. Feels super solid.

Reactions: rice721

Cumulo Vapus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2016
I am rotating between an istick30 and a Pico and what can I say…they are both awesome.

Only been a few days though…so who knows….I know it sounds crazy but I actually prefer the stick 30 to the Pico…since I vape strictly between the 8-20 W range .

I was impressed by the specs and looks of the Vaporflask Lite…but it costs 80 bucks.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
I am rotating between an istick30 and a Pico and what can I say…they are both awesome.

Only been a few days though…so who knows….I know it sounds crazy but I actually prefer the stick 30 to the Pico…since I vape strictly between the 8-20 W range .

I was impressed by the specs and looks of the Vaporflask Lite…but it costs 80 bucks.
I am with you on the VF Lite. And my fav mod is the Kbox mini. Small, comfortable and warks nice for my 12-15 watts vaping style. And only cost $20 on black Friday sale.

silkakc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2010
Canandaigua, NY

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
My Eleaf Isticks don't seem to last much more than 30 days too! With my two, it was the firing button that failed so fast.

I'm trying Kanger boxes now and love this lil one I just received:

$27.49 Authentic KangerTech KBOX Mini 50W VW Variable Wattage APV Box Mod - 1*18650 / 7-50W / zinc alloy / white at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

It's been working great for 2 weeks but I don't know about longevity. If I can get 4 months, I'll be VERY happy:)
I have 2 Kbox mini's. Been using one since last November Nary a glitch, love it.

Reactions: Yiana

whodat2112

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
May 13, 2012
Mississippi Just Outside Of NOLA
My Eleaf Isticks don't seem to last much more than 30 days too! With my two, it was the firing button that failed so fast.

I'm trying Kanger boxes now and love this lil one I just received:

$27.49 Authentic KangerTech KBOX Mini 50W VW Variable Wattage APV Box Mod - 1*18650 / 7-50W / zinc alloy / white at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

It's been working great for 2 weeks but I don't know about longevity. If I can get 4 months, I'll be VERY happy:)

I haven't had good luck with anything by Eleaf or IPV.
I have had good luck with Innokin and Aspire products.
Haven't owned any Kanger Tech products, may try them next.

Reactions: Yiana
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread