Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I cooked my regular ADV tobac coil this morning, 1.2ohm 28K/34SS clapton that just couldn't go any longer. Cleaned her all up and gave the "double insertion" (just can't type that without a smirk and giggle) the virgin flight and ya it works real well. I was a bit hefty on the wicking but after some adjustments and a couple more rewickings, I will get the portioning down. Its the even wicking on both sides is whats going to now make this a habit for every build. Before having to have the wick so tight pulling the rayon through you can see it stretching and thinning as your pulling so you end up with one side fatter than the other.... but not no more. There is also definitely more tighter wicking inside the coil so compression is now to a minimum....if any.
Thanks @awsum140 for bringing up the double insertion, you taught this old dog a new trick that improved my vape quality.

Herrick

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2016
Could you get the EXO to work in TC? I had one for a little while but I had to pif it, I think part of the base is press fitted together which caused me to have unstable readings.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sorry for the late reply. I'm pretty sure I typed out a response a few days ago but I must've forgotten to hit the send button!

I've been using the EXO RTA in TC mode on my Therion 166 but have always had weak vapor and flavor in TC mode. The ohm reading on the Therion 166 was always a little lower than the reading on my ohm meter. That changed when I locked the resistance. I pressed the fire button until TC came on, removed the tank for a few seconds, then re-attached it to get the "new coil old coil" message. The new coil reading was pretty close to the reading on my own meter and the vape has been pretty flawless since then.

Last edited:

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Hey, Alter, glad that worked for you. Another little trick I use is to trim the "needle" piece off close to the coil on each side. That leaves that nice, fluffy, uncompressed, piece to fiddle with for trimming and thinning.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
Anyone have experience using Rayon in a Kylin/Pharaoh styled RTA? Since the tails are supposed to be 50-90% less than cotton, how do you build a stable "wall" in the juicechannels of that?

I figured out the Griffin 25 Plus wicking with rayon. Lot more easy than with cotton to get it right. :)
I did, in the Pharaoh rta, I wicked it tight in the coil as usual and fluffed the wick ends and starting tucking in the rayon starting at the bottom of the wick slowly working in more & more until the juice channel was full then cut off at the edge of the deck whatever wick remained. @JeremyR posted a while back that with juice channels that are larger you don't have to trim with the usual rules of 50-90% wick removed. I didn't get any dry hits or leaks.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I'm assuming the juice channels or wells where the wick goes into in the end, where the wick meets the juice, depending on what atty you have. I don't know enough specific attys to tell you which have large channels/wells and which don't. Quick example of channels is the TFV4 RBA, the V1 subtank mini RBA. A well would be in the Merlin. Without researching attys thats the examples that I have and know.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
ok. Being new to rayon (and really enjoying it): I don't know how to interpret "juice channels that are larger than normal."
Anybody able to elaborate or quantify this?
Usually when you get an rta I watch YouTube vids & they usually mention the juice channel size. Or with experience you notice some are smaller some are larger.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Here's an Ammit 25. The eliquid input ports are larger than my coil size. Fortunately, since the rayon is packed tightly within the coil, it has more than enough to fill the ports when fluffed out.

For this I only cut around 15% of the wick. It's vaping great, no signs of dark wick near the coil (dark wick, browned/gunky, would mean I need to thin it).

08ffcecea87b5905e5bb441b2256da32.jpg

I didn't wick just to the holes in the deck surface. I wick to the outside edge of the base, the contact point with the main tank reservoir.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Something else I came across in my readings but dunno where anymore is that if the juice well is too big or you don't think there is enough wicking especially if you got a smaller ID coil, you can put some packing as-per-say behind the main wick to bulk up to make sure there is no spaces that could cause a leak. I don't really make anything less than 3mm ID so I have excess tail bulk long before not enough bulk, also I don't have a larger well'd atty but looking at pics of some of the attys with ginormous wells maybe its a option to go with and still be able to thin the tails some. Thinning the bulk out of tails promotes the juice flow to the coil way better than having the thick unthinned tails all packed into the well cause one is scared of it leaking.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
I bought a 3 pound bag and still have approximately 4.67 miles of Rayon left to use lmao!!
I would estimate I still have about 20' left of the 40' box I bought about a year ago. that is running 5 - 7 dual coil toppers on average that each get re-wicked every 4 - 6 weeks.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I took the 500' box I bought and made @50' lengths then put into large ziplock bags then put back into the box. From there I have several feet in a snap lid container at my desk. Sitting in the closet isn't too good of a dust free place, every time I went to restock there was enough dust on the box to notice. For the eons its going to take me to use up the box I thought to use a better long term storage technique than just folding over the supplied plastic bag.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
I took the 500' box I bought and made @50' lengths then put into large ziplock bags then put back into the box. From there I have several feet in a snap lid container at my desk. Sitting in the closet isn't too good of a dust free place, every time I went to restock there was enough dust on the box to notice. For the eons its going to take me to use up the box I thought to use a better long term storage technique than just folding over the supplied plastic bag.
Good thinking! Think I'll do the same :thumb:

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
I use 1 inch a week..=52 inches year...round up to 5 ft per year...estimating 40 more years to live..means I need 200 feet of rayon. I have the 500ft box. Please don't buy a huge box without checking with me first.. I need to find a home for my extra rayon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread